Search

Best Camera / Stuff Bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Camera / Stuff Bag?

hi, I am planning to carry on my luggage...duffle for clothes etc. and a camera/messenger bag/pack for camera gear. what does anyone suggest? I tend to like shoulder bags versus back pack style and also will need this bag to be my main safari bag to lug gear, unless there is another way to do it? what thinks all you seasoned souls? (boy, there is so much to learn for a 1st trip, huh? where would I be without all of your help?????)
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:40 AM

Hi 13moons,

I prefer a back pack, as I can fit my camera bag in the bottom of my back pack and all other sundry items as well. The shoulder bags do not look as if they can be big enough! But you need to take what you feel comfortable with, and with what fits all the stuff in that you need.

People do things differently, but with each passing trip, hopefully you learn from your mistakes.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM
santharamhari

13 moons,

My best suggestion, would be to take your camera and equipment with you to a camera shop and look for the best options that suit you...

I actually have one of Nikon's larger bags that fit all my stuff...camera, lens, batteries, memory cards, sundry stationary items and pen etc etc.,

For the rest of the game drive, i just use a regular shopping bag with stuff i need.....other stuff....

Hari

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:15 AM

Hi 13moons!
You must be very excited. I'll just weigh in with what I used - the Lowepro Mini-Trekker. It worked very well for me because I carried it on the plane and through airports, London, etc... so I really needed a backpack. It held 2 20Ds, a 100-400 and 24-70 lens, my binoculars, Epson P-2000, and all my batteries, CF cards and cords. The Computrekker is a a bit larger, has a space for a notebook computer (or papers, money, etc...) and is still carryon size. I was very happy with this set-up. I tried out the Cumpler backpacks and the Kata ones, and the designs were weird and wouldn't have worked. Accessories pockets were small or weird shaped.

If you really want a shoulder bag, the Crumplers are good, but bulky, and a lot of the pros swear by the Domke bags. Good luck!
Sharon
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM

I've found the Tamrac bags to be extremely well designed, durable and functional. I've used one around the world and on every continent over probably 30 years and it's still going strong. It has the ability to be hand held, shoulder held and has a built-in belt for carrying around the waist. For me, it has held 2 bodies, 3 lenses and a flash in addition to various pockets and compartments. I bought a similar one with Galen Rowell's name on it a few years ago (while he was still alive) and it did not compare favorably.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM

I also just purchased and used a Tamrac backpack style bag and it was great protection for my camera, camcorder and accessories. Made it throught the salt spray on my sailing trip and plan on taking it on safari. Liked the small compartment storage as well for memory and lens filters.

Chose a back-pack over shoulder bag since it would more evenly distribute the weight instead of having a "shelf" like feel for an over the shoulder bag. Depends on how much camera gear you have if you'd need a larger bag/pack.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:41 PM

We used a sling pack -- I think by Tamrac. We like it because you do not have to take it off to get at your stuff -- just swing it around to your front, get what you need, and then swing it to the back. It distributes the weight like a back pack does. Opens from the top. Was comfortable.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I'm another person who prefers backpacks so my advice won't necessarily be that useful. I used to use standards shoulder bags - the ones with rectangular box shaped bag sections and a long strap - but they were doing my back in hence the transfer to a backpack - the weight is evenly distributed and I can easily carry weights I just couldn't manage on one shoulder only.

Personally I liked Lowepro best and went with their Mini Trekker (and have since also purchased a Micro Trekker, a Computrekker and a Dryzone 100) but also liked Tamrac bags too.

Lowepro do offer slingback options as well as backpacks though they aren't stocked by all stores.

I didn't like Crumpler - I found them far too "style over substance" for my preferences... I would rather sacrifice trendiness for functionality!

Best of luck finding the bag that works best for you!