A camera & other bag question

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A camera & other bag question

Has anyone out there bought a 'Daymakers' bag? They look very interesting on the Travelsmith website (but a little pricey in CDN$), and I am thinking of leaving the vest behind this time and taking a bag that will fit my FZ50, have a spot for credit cards & money, sunglasses, a few OTC meds, my 'valuables' portfolio that I WILL put in the front desk safe each night this trip, my journal, a pen and of course my trusty tiny travel stapler...

Now in order to do this, I will probably need a 'body armour' bag for my camera so it doesn't scratch, etc - has anyone out there used one of those things?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 12:58 AM

I own a series of Lowepro camera backpacks for our camera gear, if that's what you mean? These bags come in different sizes and configurations and have thick padding on the outside plus thick separators inside to put between various items. I love mine!

I have a few because sometimes I take more or less stuff with me.

http://www.justgiving.com/kavey
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 02:12 AM

Aawww Lynda, now look what you've done .... I just looked on the Travelsmith website and now I want to shop .... AND they ship Internationally
Those Daypacks look very stylish but I'm not sure how much you want to fit in them ....I bought a Lowepro bag for our FZ30 last year. It is VERY large and fits basically everything we need in separate 'pockets / sleeves' within the bag - FZ30, Camcorder, Epson P2000, Binoculars, cleaning kit, batteries, chargers etc etc PLUS enough room for suncream, fleece etc on gamedrives.
I got it on ebay but it was still very $$ but in my opinion, well worth it if it protects all our $$$$ equipment.

Happy shopping!
Imelda
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM

I love NaneuPro's Military Ops series of camera bags. They don't look like or have a brand name that screams camera bag. The backpack design also keeps your camera safe from thieves (you access your camera through the back of the pack) and has a nice section on top for your non-camera gear. Here's the link:

http://www.naneupro.com/products.mdv?p=mo-a

I love the Echo for sightseeing in a city. It would also probably work on safari for a normal person (i.e. not a photo nerd like me).
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey, Imelda and hills27 for the info. I have a Lowepro bag - one of the 'journalist' bags I believe, but's it's way too small to use as a daybacg - and too square. Reminds me of bringing a lunch cooler bag to work... I am not sure what I was thinking when I bought it a few months ago! It's also not easy to get into - kind of convoluted., too many closures & zippers.

I took the plunge and ordered the Daymakers bag, thinking I can't dilly dally around about this - so Imelda I will let you know what it's like - it looks wonderful! I'm such a bag person, one can NEVER have enough of them!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Oh, Kavey, by the way, I forgot to say I will donate to the fund when I have a few extra minutes tonight - but wanted to say 'Kudos to you!' It sounds like a good cause and I will help you stick to the diet when we go for Chinese food in a few weeks!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Just looked at the site that hills27 sent above - what a great bag! Unfortuantely though they don't ship out of the US otherwise I'd be ordering one!
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

I'm such a shopper....

Just wanted to say that Jim ordered the Tango bag from the site hills27 posted (they do ship to Canada after all....) We can't wait to get it and try it out!