Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle - Vancouver - Victoria

Hi

I'm just starting to put a trip together out to Seattle and including Vancouver and Victoria.

How many days would you estimate to spend in each and what would the highlights be?

I'm open to suggestions and hope you Fodorites will be generous with them.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM

How many days of vacation do you have to spend in total?

Have you done any basic research to get an idea of some of the things Fodorites recommend to do in the area?
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Seattle deserves a couple of nights. If you are planning a trip to Mount Ranier (I recommend)that takes a full day. Pike's Market and the aquarium are good visits. I would take the hydrofoil from Seattle to Victoria. At Victoria you either need one long day to visit Berches Gardens and the Northwest Museum or two partial days. I don't have much experience in Vancouver, so will defer a recommendation to another.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Two nights in Seattle, 1 night on Olympic Penisula, 2 nights in Victoria (Buchart Gardens), 4 nights kayaking the San Juans and whatever time is left in Vancouver and then heading back to Seattle.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM
LN
Original Poster

We're oping to spend about 10 days there. We're from the east coast (DC area) and wondered how far it was from Seattle to Mount Rainier.

Not too sure about kayaking but open to much sightseeing and walking.

With ten days in early September - would we be able to consider going to Banff or should we wait for another trip on that?

Yes, we plan on seeing Buchart Gardens, the Space Needle, the Seaport, and hopefully, take a boat/hydrofoil over to Victoria.

Just wondering what all we should include in our trip and then to decide whether to add or subtract days.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd divide it up 4-5 days Seattle, 4-5 days Vancouver, 1-2 days Victoria. Seatttle to Mt. Rainier is a 2 hour drive. Not enough time for Banff imo.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM

I agree with Suze's rundown.

I'd do 2 nights in Victoria and then roughly split the remainder between Seattle and Vancouver as there are equally stunning and fun things to do in both. I also think Banff may be stretching it and a day trip to Mt. Rainier is great.

Definitely the Clipper to Victoria (though caution if you get sea sick easily, it can be a rough ride). We stayed at the Fairmount here and had tea and that was fun. My husband thought he wouldn't enjoy it but did. And we loved Buchart Gardens.

The drive from Seattle to Vancouver is about 2-3 hours depending on the border wait (bring passport). If you drive up on a weekday at off rush hour hours...you'll zip through.

In Vancouver (where I'm a tourist) a self-guided car tour through Stanley Park is great. A visit to Granville Island and a ride on the Falls Creek Ferry (an inexpensive way to tour the area) are a must. I keep vowing to rent a place with a kitchenette so one day we can just shop all day at the Farmer's Market on Granville and then go home and cook it all!! (But I'm a foodie).

In Seattle (where I live) try to visit the Ballard Locks...it is inevitably one of the things visitors like best when I take them. Worth taking the guided tour and salmon should be running then and you can see them on the fish ladder (June-October). Then you can just drive a short way and have lunch/dinner at Ray's Boathouse or Anthony's Home Port on the water.

If you're here for labor day check out the local music festival Bumbershoot. I live in Ballard and it's a fun neighborhood you'll go through on your way to the Locks. You can park and just walk down Ballard Ave and window shop, wine (or beer) taste and check out the "local" scene.

Another unique experience is to Ride the Ducks, which is a limited city tour that goes on land and water. Kitschy but fun.

Here's a good Web site for planning activities: http://www.nwsource.com/

Have fun and let us know if you have specific questions.
SFSaf