May Honeymoon in Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a May honeymoon that will start of in Seattle for 2 nights, Whidbey Island for 1 night, Vancouver for 2 nights, Aerie resort for 2 nights and Victoria proper for 2 nights. To be honest though, I have no idea if this is the most efficient itinerary or if we are spending too much time in Victoria at the expense of too little time somewhere else. Any advice--and I mean any is much appreciated!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
On the assumption that your night on Whidbey is at some nice place, I frankly would ditch it for another night in Vancouver. The Aerie should more than compensate for the pampering you (I assume) would get on the island. We personally are not that in love with Victoria ourselves (a great day-and-a-half destination IMO) so if you wanted to swap for another day at the Aerie or use that day in Seattle, it'd get my vote. Note that the Queen Elizabeth II Park gardens in Vancouver are nearly as nice as Butchart Gardens, except cheaper and less congested with tour buses, so if flower power is on your agenda, give it a thought.

Congratulations!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo--
Thanks for your advice. Am I doing the itinerary backwards? In other words, should I be going from Seattle to Victoria and then to Vancouver?
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 02:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
No. Assuming you're flying out of Seattle at the end, you want to drive north across the border, then take the ferry (Port Angeles or San Juan) back into the US from Victoria. The border delays southbound on the freeway are typically far worse than the northbound ones.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:34 PM

I just did a Seattle-Vancouver-Whidbey-Seattle trip. We stayed at the Inn at Langley which is lovely but did stay for two nights. Still, I'd be inclined to suggest you skip Whidbey for another night in Vancouver as well. We were in Vancouver for 4 and it really wasn't enough. I found Vancouver to be stunning,interesting and filled with great art/restaurants and wonderful opportunities to explore. It is a completely different city,imho, than either Seattle or Victoria(and I think very romantic). The commute from Seattle to Vancouver is an easy one(allowing for the border). It took us 2 1/2 hours from Redmond(just outside of Seattle) to Vancouver including the border on a Monday afternoon in mid-September. We crossed the border back to the US mid afternoon on a Friday on our way to Whidbey and it was a longer wait.Depending on your tastes, I might also suggest you delete one night from Victoria and tag it on for a return evening in Seattle. We used (and always do) our last day(which is the day of our early evening flight) to load up with goodies from the Pike Place Market. Buy some smoked salmon or any kind of fresh fish from Pure Fish in the market and have them wrap it for you for your return flight. When shopping at the market have lunch either at Matt's at the Market or Cafe Campagne. Personally, I think 2 nights only in Seattle might not be enough. We go every year and this year only had two nights on our return..and I'd wish I'd had more. There are many great things to see, do and eat in Seattle. Two nights will just give you a taste. Regarding your itinerary, I'd be inclined to say take the time to rest in Seattle after the wedding then head for Vancouver. Take the ferry over to Vancouver ISland for the Aerie resort then take another evening in Victoria heading out on the car ferry for Washington then drive back to Seattle. Increasing days to include Seattle at the other end will also allow for reasonable travel and some chance to wander your way around. This will also spare you some time at the border on the way back.(Assuming the lines for the ferry move well). Now for recommednations for lodging:In Victoria check out Abigail's a wonderful and romantic b&b with a breakfast that will rival the best you've had. Do include a visit to the Royal Museum in Victoria and if you see nothing else do see the First Peoples Exhibit. I thought it was the highlight of our stay in Victoria. In Vancouver,BC..if you are inclined to b&bs or small inns, I can't say enough nice things about O'Canada House..they are in the West End. Check out the rants and raves section of this site and you will read some great reviews. We just stayed in the North Suite there..it's got a claw foot tub..and would be, imo, a great honeymoon spot.Two of our favorite places to eat in Vancouver were Bin 941 and Vij's. Both are reviewed here as well. Bin 941 is lively and has great tapas(even bigger than) Vij's has some of the best Indian food I've ever eaten and is surprisingly modern. Wonderful Dim Sum is to be had for certain at Kirin on W. Georgia and Alberni. It will probably still be rather cool in May for the spots you intend to vist but it will be beautiful!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 11:35 PM

PS:if flowers are on your agenda, I'd vote for the Van Deusen Botancial Garden
in Vancouver,BC over the Buchart.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:04 AM

I agree with the above posts about Victoria...it was at best.."ok". I wouldn't go back.
I would spend some time exploring the islands north of Seattle via ferry.