Seattle/Victoria or Vancouver Itin help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a little overwhelmed planning a short trip. I hope you experts can help me.

My husband and I will be in traveling to Seattle 10/29-11/1 to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

I have never been to the area, and of course, want to see it all. I really want to visit Victoria or Vancouver (I know I can't do both). Our anniversary is 10/30, so it would be nice to have a special hotel, either in Seattle or Victoria.

We'll have a car, but realize it might not be necessary to travel to and in Victoria or Vancouver.

Any advice, suggestions, etc. on itinerary, including lodging, would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Are you driving to Seattle, is that while you'll have a car? Otherwise, it's really not necessary to rent one.

If you're determined to add another stop to your short time in Seattle, I'd go with Victoria because it's more of a contrast to Seattle than Vancouver is.

The Victoria Clipper or Kenmore Air are good options for getting to and from Victoria.

What's your price range for hotels and what types of places do you like?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM

First time in the area with 4 days? You could have a great time in Seattle and immediate Washington State environs ALONE with that short amount of time; I did and I didn't even have a car like you will (which will open up possibilities galore for you: more ferries, Mount Rainier, Cascades Mountain, Olympic Peninsula).

Vancouver and Victoria are terrific places; day trips to either would be too whirlwind and you'd leave without a real sense of either place IMO. Victoria is tidy and smaller (Butchart's Gardens, Royal BC Museum, Beacon Hill Park were highlights for me here); Vancouver is an interesting contrast to Seattle in its usage of waterfront space and significantly greater Asian influence (Wreck Beach, Museum of Anthro, Stanley Park, West End/Kitsilano exploring, English Bay Beach, Bowen Island were highlights for me). Both have their charms.

If you want to do two it's got to be: 2 days Seattle, 2 days Victoria or 2 days Seattle, 2 days Vancouver. I'd make a choice based on how well you like bigger cities; if you tend to more, go for Van, if you tend to less, go for Vic. Simple as that. If you're not sure, flip a coin.

My 2 cents. Have fun whatever you decide! DAN
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM

All three Cities are great, getting to Victoria is a bit of an adveture itself has you catch the ferry and take a nice boat ride through the local islands to Vancouver Island. You can do most of Victoria downtown by foot in a day and have a great time. Vancouver is about a 2 hour drive to downtown being there for only a day or two will leave wishing you had a week. Downtown can be walked around visiting Robson Street, Stanley Park or getting on a tour bus a get a quick overview of the City. What sets downtown Vancouver apart is that half a million people live downtown a it makes for a vibrant setting day or night. Seattle is great too but I would limit my wandering around to the day light hours downtown. A couple of Web site to help you decide.
http://www.greatervancouverhotels.com , http://www.greatervictoriahotels.com,
http://www.greaterseattlehotels.com
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM

Hi- I am not a native of the area- but we just returned last week from there- so for what it is worth- I am gonna throw my two cents in.
It is sort of hard to make suggestions not knowing what you and the hubby enjoy- but here a few of the things we enjoyed as a couple- and considering you are going there for an anniversary celebration- I think you might like them too.
Seattle- just a little more than an hour our of Seattle is a waterfall called Snowqualmie Falls- very impressive- and an easy drive. Seattle area- we both loved the downtown waterfront- walking around the waterfront area- then a visit to Pike Place Market- we were at Pike Market in May and again in Sept- and have been a couple of times previous to that- I like to go in the middle of the day around lunch time- that is when the market comes to life.
The space needle in Seattle- if you have never been will be sort of romantic if you go up around sunset and see the lights of the city.
Also ride the monarail which is right there at the space needle too. If I remember correctly- the monarail does not get started up until around 9 am.
Now- as far as I am concerned- enough of Seattle- it is a great city to be sure- but I would be very tempted to spent the better part of my time in Victoria. We absolutely love Victoria.
It is a very romantic and beautiful city and small enough to see in a day or so.
I would recommmend going to Buchart Gardens- the flowers there are awesome- they do a fantastic job- we loved it last week- but I would have to say it is incredible in the spring.
Seaplane ride in Victoria- and the carriage ride through Beacon Hill Park is fun. If you do not ride the carriage- at least take a walk through the park at Beacon Hill- it is a very nice park with beautiful flowers. I see you are going in late Oct- they have so many beautiful flowers in the area that I cannot imagine they will not still have many beautiful displays that time of year.
If you do your homework- you can do every one of these things easily in that time frame.
Have a great trip- research the area by reading this site and others- map it out and you will be fine.
Remember that Seattle is on a hill- so do not strike out walking -unless you are really into hillclimbing. Many folks recommend not driving in the area- but I never had a problem- and think it the best way to get around.
Seattle is a neat city- but In my opinion- Victoria is magical!!
Please let me know when you return and what your thoughts were if you decide to take my advice. I envy you- we just got back with 3 weeks there- were in the area for 3 weeks in May- and I already want to go again. Have a great time!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everybody, for the detailed advice. I realized afterward that I gave very little info regarding our interests. We're not realy "hikers" persay, but really enjoy sightseeing, restaurants, etc. I don't really have budget for hotels, but would like some bang for my buck. Being as it's an important anniversary for us (believe me, 15 years is an achievement, all things considered), and we aren't able to hit a tropical beach this year, I'd like to splurge on a romantic dinner and hotel.

I have decided that we will definitely do what we can in Seattle, and I really have my heart set on Victoria. Probably getting there by the fast ferry, and maybe spending the night 10/30 in Victoria. I need to research hotels, so any suggestions would be welcome.

Re: Seattle: what section of the city would be best for us to stay, giving us good access to Pike's Market, Space Needle, etc. We will probably trek to Bothell for dinner or lunch during our short stay, to visit my brother.

Thanks again for your help.
-- Kym
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM

Re Seattle--I'd stay right downtown and for a special anniversary trip, I'd splurge for a water view room at the Inn at the Market.

My favorite hotel in Victoria is the Laurel Point Inn, which also has great water views, plus it's right next to the Clipper terminal so easy to walk to from there.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 07:11 PM

I think that you should concentrate most on the "Victoria" which you have your heart set on... and then do "Seattle" around the edges of your trip.

We still don't know whether you're driving here, or flying here.

And if you have just one night for Victoria, everyone reading this post KNOWS which night it will have to be (10/30). So your ferry trips will be obvious and your time in Seattle, by default, will entail the nights of

10/29 and 10/31.

Given that you'll have to be switching hotels anyway... you may as well stay the night in two DIFFERENT spots in the Seattle area.

IF FLYING... and if leaving for home somewhat early in the day on 11/1... you may as well put yourself handy to the airport on Halloween night.

If driving, I think I would use Priceline to land downtown hotels on each of the two mentioned nights. (if bidding near the same time, there would be a very good chance of getting the same hotel via DIFFERENT BIDS for the two nights)

It won't matter too much... and you'd probably save some money AND get a nice room in a nice place if doing Priceline.

(A friend of mine, very recently, got the Edgewater Inn on Priceline... it isn't exactly central to the downtown area but it is a nice place down on the waterfront and not terribly far from Pike Place Market)

At any rate, secure your Victoria itinerary and room first, and then just ad-lib the Seattle part around it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

NorthwestMale:

Thanks for the detailed advice. I am flying and will arrive in Seattle the afternoon of 10/29, and returning to Vegas early evening 11/1. You're right - I am hoping for Victoria 10/30. I suggested that to my husband. Not sure if he's into it or not. But I will persevere...

Thanks for the advice on a Priceline hotel. I've never risked Priceline before. Am a bit nervous, but it goes along with the "adventure" of the thing.

Any restaurant advice? Seafood is good; no sushi, though. Not the touristy spots.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:09 AM

Hi LVkym,

Given that your flight is relatively late on 11/1, you could potentially spend the night of 10/31 in Victoria and leave early in the morning 11/1 (although you couldn't if you're planning on returning to Seattle via the Clipper). While a day is good to get a feel of downtown Victoria, I would always recommend a full second day for Victoria so that you visit and don't rush Butchart's Gardens, which in my opinion is the most amazing garden I've ever seen ANYWHERE, that no picture, movie, even IMAX can give a full sense of its majesty...a sight one must behold first-hand for the full scope of the creativity, love, as well as 3D visual and olfactory stimulation. I'd even advise people to go who generally couldn't care less about gardens; I don't see how one could NOT be moved.

Restaurants.

I thought Re-bar downtown was one of the best vegetarian restaurants I'd been to anywhere; reasonably priced too.

Have fun whatever you decide.

Daniel