Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Seattle and either or both of Victoria and Vancouver, BC in August. We have flight reservations in and out of Seattle, August 19th - 30th and are trying to plan what to see and do. Butchart Gardens in Victoria and other ones in Vancouver are things we'd enjoy, but we've never been to the area in general and are open to ideas for all three cities. Anyone with ideas for a mid-August trip to this area?
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:19 AM

We were so impressed with Victoria (the last port on an Alaskan Cruise we took) in the short time we were there, we returned the next month for a week's stay combined with Seattle. Stayed at the Delta, used the water taxis (www.victoriaharbourferry.com)and enjoyed their Saturday morning ballet, visited the incredible Royal BC Museum (www.royalbcmuseum.bc), went on a very successful whale watch (www.orcaspirit.com), visited Butchart, had cocktails in the lounge at the Empress, enjoyed a wonderful jazz trio and Italian food at Pagliacci, shopped on Government Street, toured the beautiful Parliament Buildings, took a carriage ride (www.victoriacarriage.com), shopped at the artisans' booths in Bastion Square, had a wonderful meal (washed down with Guiness) at the Irish Times.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea that Victoria is one of our favorite cities!

We also flew in and out of Seattle. Took a float plane, Kenmore Air (www.kenmoreair.com) from Seattle to Victoria, and took a ferry, Victoria Clipper (www.clippervacations.com) back to Seattle.

In Seattle we visited the art museum (had lunch there and then toured the galleries), Pike Place Market is a must, rode the trolleys, did a Seattle Duck's Tour which I thought was just awful. We had dinner and an evening of jazz at The Alley. There are several Fodorites with excellent advice on Seattle so I'll leave it to them.

Never been to Vancouver.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:28 AM

With 11 days, you'll have plenty of time to see all three cities but IMO it would be a shame to come to this part of the country and only stay in the cities. You should consider including some of our beautiful scenic areas as well (e.g. Olympic Peninsula, San Juan or Gulf Islands, Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island).
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree 11 days is plenty to see all 3 places you mention. but I also agree with the post above to add some time out in nature somewhere along the way. My friends recently did a similar trip and loved Vancouver Island (sorry not sure exactly where they stayed).
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM

You should look into spending some time on the Olympic Peninsua (Port Angeles or Forks) and drive a ways nortn on Vancouver Island after Victoria. Really liked downtown Vancouver and Granville Island plus Whistler -- even in the summer it's beautiful and not a bad drive to get their either.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM

Great suggestions from all. We spent time in Seattle, Vancouver, Whistler then Victoria. Enjoyed all of it, but really wish we had spent more time on Vancouver Island. Frequently, I hear locals say skip Whistler. Not sure why that is because this Californian loved it. The drive alone was worth the trip IMO. Enjoy!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the ideas - this will be a great trip!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
boom boom gave you the right idea. From Seattle travel via the Bainbridge Island ferry and the Hood Canal bridge to Port Angeles. Visit Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park, just south of PA.

Then take the Coho ferry from PA over to Victoria. Visit Victoria, then (my recommendation) drive up the island to Nanaimo and take the Nanaimo - Horseshoe Bay ferry over to the mainland. Go NORTH from Horseshoe Bay up the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler.

Then return back to Vancouver, visit Vancouver, and return to Seattle, preferably using one of the more eastern routes over the border, e.g. Abbotsford or Aldergrove, to avoid border delays at Blaine.

By adding on Hurricane Ridge to the trip to Victoria, and Whistler to the Victoria - Vancouver part, you're including a couple of major outdoors/scenic elements with a town-heavy itinerary, at minimal "cost" in terms of time.