Seattle this weekend: Two things

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 11:49 AM
kit
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle this weekend: Two things

Hello,

I am there for a quick weekend (solo) strictly to get away from my familiar surroundings to work on a writing project. I am staying at the Courtyard Downtown/Pioneer Square and will not be sightseeing (have been before/love Seattle!) I also had to use up an air ticket before it expired. I had some Marriott points.

I am thinking of the library, of course. Other suggestions for downtown places to just sit and write? I need a comfortable seat, restroom and wifi. It does not need to be quiet and I do not like to sit forever in a Starbucks or Panera. I'll be on foot/subway.Cafe at a museum?

Second thing: I will need to watch the World Series games. I will be by myself, so I guess a seat at a decent bar in a decent restaurant? I do not want a sports bar, really, but am thinking more of a bar area with TVs in a restaurant. Obviously it's not going to be a high-end restaurant, but I guess I am just suggesting that I am not up for a SPORTS BAR -- YAAA! to watch the game, because I'd like better food. I know you know what I mean.

Any help is sincerely appreciated. Thank you! Kit
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 12:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure, "Taste" is the name of the café at Seattle Art Museum. And Fonte Café across the street from SAM would work. If you want to head a bit more north, up by the Market... places like Bacco, le Pichet, etc.

There's lots of independent coffee shops around, like "Cherry Street" in multiple locations.

You didn't ask about this but there's an excellent new Mexican restaurant in Pioneer Square called Casco Antiguo.

Try FX McCrory's for your restaurant to watch sports, and eat in the bar. I think it's exactly what you're after. I work nearby and it's my go-to spot for a nice lunch solo. Kind of "old school" place but with fine service, food, atmosphere.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 01:13 PM

I will ditto Casco Antiguo and FX McCrory's, and add in Elysian Fields. EF is a sports bar, BUT it is quite large and has good food, so not your run of the mill sports bar. there is the bar area, which is huge and has plenty of booths, but there is also the entire rest of the restaurant as well. You can see the tv screens from the regular restaurant area. Also, Pyramid is a good place to watch the game, and while the food is find, I don't think it is as good as EF.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM

BTW, happy hour at Casco Antiguo is really good and great deals!
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 10:09 PM
kit
Original Poster

Thank you both! I will certainly check these out. I am remembering a great bookstore in a great neighborhood, maybe east of DT a bit. I dont recall if there would be a spot/table area to lay a laptop and sit for a bit though. I realize this is probably not enough information to go on.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 10:12 PM
kit
Original Poster

I just found it: Elliott Bay Book Company.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 07:08 AM

Elliott Bay Book Company has a cafe inside it - I think related to Oddfellows Cafe down the street, but I'm not sure - that might work for your purposes. I'm not 100% sure they have wifi in the cafe but it would definitely worth checking. I didn't actually eat there but did check out the menu and it looked good.

I stayed very near the convention center in August and it took me about 15-20 minutes to walk to the bookstore.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 08:55 AM
kit
Original Poster

Thank you, jent. Wifi isnt a dealbreakker now that I think more about it.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 09:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're up on Capitol Hill, you could go to that library branch, 425 Harvard Ave East.

Nearby up on 15th Avenue East (by Volunteer Park) there is a small shopping district with lots of independent coffee shops that would work... Victrola, Liberty, Café Ladro, NuFlour Bakery, the requisite Starbucks.