Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Heading to Seattle this Weekend - Dining Tips for a Single Girl in Seattle, Bellevue, and Tacoma?

Search

Heading to Seattle this Weekend - Dining Tips for a Single Girl in Seattle, Bellevue, and Tacoma?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in my early 30s and am headed to Seattle from DC for job interviews with 3 companies (please cross your fingers for me). I'm flying in on Saturday and fly home on the red eye Tuesday night.

I do not eat red meat or pork, and prefer not to eat chicken. I prefer seafood (mussels, scallops, lobster, mild white fish) and vegetarian dishes.

I'm staying in Bellevue Sat, Sun, and Mon. I would like to eat dinner in Seattle proper on Saturday and Sunday nights. I was thinking of Flying Fish for dinner on Saturday - the reviews are great, and their website indicates that the bar area is very friendly for single diners.

Any recommendations for Sunday night? I have been to Etta's and Matt's in the Market so don't want to repeat them. I can spend up to $30 for my meal (alcohol not included), but don't necessarily need to spend that much. I was thinking of trying something lower key like the Hi-Life or something. Or possibly Lark or Crush.

Monday night I may stay in Bellevue for dinner. Any favorites there?

My interviews in Tacoma end around 5:00 p.m. I will hang out in Tacoma until I need to be at the airport. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a place that I might be able to enjoy for a while on Tuesday night (since I have a red eye)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I don't think you could make a better choice than Flying Fish in Seattle--it's a lively place with excellent food.

In Bellevue, Seastar would be a good choice. Or, you could check out the several options at Lincoln Square (part of Bellevue Mall) which has several restaurants that cater to a young crowd. (I do not recommend the McCormick & Schmick's--it will be a big let down after Flying Fish.)

I don't eat in Tacoma, but, if I were going to, I would check out Sea Grill and Stanley & Seaforts. I would avoid the Anthony's (Harbor Lights) which is a good but not very inspired local chain that is better to visit when in one of our smaller cities with few other dining options.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Any idea what time I should arrive at Flying Fish to have a better chance at getting a seat at the bar?

Any recommendations for my second dinner in Seattle?

Seastar looks great. And thanks for the tip on M&S - we have them here, and I would prefer to avoid chains anyways.

Thank you also for the Tacoma recommendations.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like Cutter's Bayhouse, both for comfortable eating solo and good seafood. It's more a tourist and business place but located right on the waterfront (across from Etta's). It's not tres chic, just nice, good service, great view, lots of menu choices (I love their blue cheese & shrimp salad, or the fish tacos).

I also love the Dahlia Lounge on 4th. They have a great bar plus nice tiny booths for 1-2 people. It's really excellent and cozy unique atmmosphere.

I am not a fan of Flying Fish myself. I have eaten there 4 times to date, and every single time something was wrong. Twice the completely wrong dish was brought to the person I was eating with! It's also very noisy.

Brasa or Icon Grille are two other downtown places I like. Or Assagios if you want Italian food, has been very comfortable solo.

No specific Bellevue recommendations, but I think going Asian anywhere in Seattle (Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai) always works well for vegetarian and seafood options.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I would not pick Lark to eat solo. It's a "small plate" place and more a restaurant I'd go with a group of people. I'd not want to eat alone there.

Oh, most importantly, good luck with the interviews, so we can officially WELCOME you to Seattle!
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM

I have found the reservation desk at Flying Fish to be very friendly; I would call and ask about seating at the bar.

As a second choice, I would check out http://www.baroloseattle.com It is a new place that appears to appeal to a young mind-set and is getting excellent buzz.

In Belltown, Brasa and Cascadia are good restaurants well-known for there bar menus.

Union, Sazerac, and Purple Cafe are among the mid-town options that may appeal to you.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Another to add, Restaurant Zoe in Belltown at 2nd & Blanchard. I've not been, but have one friend who is crazy about the place.

beanweb~ Most of these HTTY & I have mentioned are fairly close to each other. If you had an hour to spare & comfortable shoes, you could easily take a long loop around downtown & look at them all.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM

One of my most memorable dinners ever was at Ray's Boathouse. I was solo, and got a table on the deck - I think they had heat lamps, but it got chilly so they brought me out a blanket to curl up in - I had king crab and watched the most beautiful sunset. If I could duplicate that experience, I would, but I always enjoy going to Ray's if I can sit outside.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM

If you're out and about in a car, there's nice places dotted all around town. Ivars on Lake Union, Serafina on Eastlake, Monsoon on 19th on Capitol Hill, Agua Verde in the U-District...
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Hang out at the Swiss in Tacoma while you wait for your flight. It's in the downtown. You'll get a feel for part of the scene in Tacoma. It's the place a lot of cool people in Tacoma unwind. If it's not too busy, you can talk to the owner about your dilemma, perhaps. She is very nice. My niece works there some evenings. Long blong hair. I'll tell her someone named beanweb might be inquiring...

http://www.theswisspub.com/
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orcas: The Swiss!

I met my husband on the Swiss Hall dance floor above the Swiss pub.

Good to know the Swiss pub has a great reputation.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for additional information.

I really appreciate the tip on Lark...I'll save that one for later. I had forgotten that I wanted to try the Dahlia Lounge - that might be my second Seattle dinner.

Suze: Thank you for the well wishes for me...I am very excited.

I will definitely have a car, so I will be able to check out a few of the neighborhoods. I did eat at Ray's last year and remember it very well - beautiful setting, and wonderful rockfish.

Orcas - The Swiss is exactly what I was thinking about for Tacoma. After 2 days of marathon interviews, I want a friendly place to unwind in. This looks perfect...and I can entertain myself with the free wi-fi. THANK YOU!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM

I live in Bellevue, so I can give you a few suggestions here (DD is a pescaterian (sp)and DH doesn't eat red meat). Our most recent favorite is a Japanese place called Koi that's on Northup across from Fred Meyer. Another is Malay Satay Hut on 24th. If you like Indian, every one we've been to is quite good, Mayuri on N.E. 20th next to Trader Joe's one we like, and you probably can't go wrong with Thai almost any place--we like one on 140th by Safeway (can't remember the name). All will easily fall within your budget.

Good luck with your job interview--this is a great place to live.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM

P.S. Just ran across the info for Koi
14603 NE 20th
425-644-5388
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the tips, artlover. I think she's gone already, though. Hope she reports back!

Here are some other good Bellevue restaurants. We like the Firenze at Crossroads (on the outside across from the Sports Authority); Top Gun (Chinese, behind the cinemas at Factoria); and the Tokyo (in an outparcel at Loehmann's Plaza at Factoria. There is certainly not a shortage of good ethnic restaurants scattered throughout Bellevue. Bellevue is far more diverse than people realize.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Orcas,
I forgot about Top Gun. Love the food, especially Dim Sum there. (Don't like the name though ) There's another good Chinese place I forgot about too--Szechauan Chef on Main St. & 148th that's good--owner has a place in the International District too.

I agree with you about the Eastside. I love living here--we're in the woods with horses all around and a state park nearby with miles of hiking trails and yet are close to shopping and restaurants.

As for Firenze, I wanted to try it, but DD was working at the Petco for awhile next to it and she warned me that we should stay away because of rats. Sorry to pass this on, but figured you might want to know. I almost wasn't going to mention this here--was just going to tell you to ask me about it at the GTG, but figured others might want to know as well. Which is too bad, as we love Italian food. We liked Tosoni but it's quite pricey and we haven't been there in awhile.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Schuler---you really met your (Swiss) husband at The Swiss? What fun! I love that place. My job used to take me to Tacoma occasionally, and when it did, we'd always have lunch at the Swiss.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Enzian,

Greetings from sunny but cool Switzerland!

The Swiss Sportsmen Society used to own the whole building. They'd hold their New Year's Eve dances there as well as many Swiss concerts, Fasnachts, Swiss weddings and other Swiss functions.

They've sold the building but the Swiss pub is a remnant of those good old times.

The Swiss Society now hold all their doings at the Bonney Lake Swiss Hall.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:30 AM

a nice walk around greenlake in north seattle is kinda fun. maybe rent a bike or check out the u of w campus.have fun
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the late breaking recommendations...I hope to be there again soon. Just returned home on the red eye and am exhausted. I think it's looking very likely that I'll get an offer from the place in Bellevue based on a call back from HR yesterday...I am thrilled. Now the next thing will be deciding whether to live in Seattle proper and take the commute (over I-90 bridge) or live in Bellevue. The single girl in me says Seattle...but the lazy girl in me says Bellevue and enjoy the shorter drive. Decisions decisions!

Saturday night I had dinner at Flying Fish - probably my favorite meal of the trip. Excellent tuna poke and then a pan seared halibut with green lentils, cucumber salad, mint, and yogurt.

Sunday got away with me after a very late breakfast/early lunch at Salmon Bay Cafe....with a nice guy I met the night before at Flying Fish. He was super friendly and spent part of Sunday driving me around Ballard and showing me the locks...was a very unexpected surprise to have a tour guide for a little bit. After brunch, I stopped at Cupcake Royale in Ballard to pick up a cupckae (red velvet with cream cheese frosting) for dessert later...yum.

Sunday night dinner was at Elyisan. I stopped there after visiting a few apartment buildings. Had a great mixed green salad with avocado balsamic dressing, and an entree of vegan avocado curry that was also heavy on the artichokes. YUM.

Monday night I was too exhausted by interviews to go back into Seattle. At my last interview someone suggested dinner at Seastar, so off I went. Had a very good (but very spicy) spicy tuna roll, but my main entree of halibut with olive tapenade over potato gnocchi was not as good as the halibut at Flying Fish.

Last night was time for major unwinding after my interviews in Tacoma. I found The Swiss without any problem at all and it was PERFECT. Awesome beer selection, super friendly staff and patrons, and delicious sandwiches (had the Art Smart Artichoke sandwich).

I'm hoping to get offers from 2 of the places so that I have a difficult choice to make. I am leaning towards the company in Bellevue...and now just need to find a place to live!

Thank you for all of your tips/suggestions. I'm sure I will have future opportunities to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -