Search

Seattle in Winter - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle in Winter - Worth It?

hi all-

We're planning to visit Seattle and Vancouver for New Year's. I've never been to either, so can anyone give a little insight into the weather, whether or not it's even a good time to visit, what there is to do, etc.?

Also, we're thinking of actually spending the New Year on the Canadian side. Does anyone have any thoughts on being in Vancouver for NYE vs. Seattle? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM

My experience is that folks visiting Seattle in the winter from places that have *real* winter weather are delighted, those from SoCal or the Southwest are miserable.

Winter weather Seattle doesn't differ much from either late-Autumn or early-Spring weather: overcast, cycling between drizzle, shower, downpour and back again, temps at night into the low 40's, during the day into the mid- to high-50's. There are exceptions, with rare sunny days, as well as nights well into the freezing range. Snow: rarely.

In short, there's usually nothing except one's mood to prevent being out 'n' about enjoying what the city has to offer. And the city offers in Winter almost 100% of what it offers the rest of the year, with the possible exception of swimming. The advice is usually to layer one's clothing, and make sure the outermost layer is water- and wind-proof.

Vancouver: very similar, with perhaps more frequent low temps. Both cities can be fun during the holidays, with lots of bright lights and glitter to at least temporarily dispel the grey.

Fritzrl
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM

mkdallasgirl73,

I spend Christmas in Seattle last year. We had one partly sunny day, one very rainy day, and one cloudy day.

Fritzri,

Would it be alright with you if I copied your post so I can send it to friends of mine back in Georgia? I've been here a year and half and I try to explain to them about the weather. To be honest, I love it.

Thanks, Joan
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM

We spent last NYE in Vancouver and had a good time. It was very cold for us and rainy on 2 of the days. We still enjoyed the town and a little of Stanley Park. Now that we have seen a bit of it in winter - we hope very much to return in the summer months! As long as you know it will be cold - you should have fun. (by cold I mean the mid 40's)
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe New Year's in Seattle is much more festive than in Vancouver - the Space Needle fireworks display at midnight is broadcast all over the country as one of the more spectacular events.

Weather will be similar - possibly slightly wetter/colder in Van, higher chance of snow (though still unlikely) as there can be winds down the Fraser Canyon that lower the temperature dramatically (similar to winds down the Columbia Gorge giving Portland snowier winters than Seattle.)
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I think fritzrl described it perfectly. And if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes

Gardyloo--Our kids were sure disappointed last winter. Their old school in WA had so many snow days, but we only had 1 or 2 here.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Hey, Joan -- sure. I'm flattered (is there an emoticon for that, I wonder?)
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How much will the weather effect your enjoyment of the trip? If rain will ruin your day, I wouldn't come that time of year.

That said, it likely will not be freezing or snowing or anything. The fireworks off the Space Needle are a real treat.

Sorry, though I've lived here for 20+ years, I really don't know much about Vancouver to compare the two cities.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Yes, fritzri,

Puff your chest out and think an old lady likes the way I write. An e-mail or two are on their way to Georgia.

Thanks! Joan
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Sun would be unusual that time of year. If you expect drizzle and overcast skies and are mostly here for indoor activities anyway, it will be fun because it's a vacation. If you're in Dallas and wish you could get more seafood and water/mountain views, Seattle and Vancouver are ideal. No one has mentioned that you can ski for the day at Snoqualmie, just a little over an hour from downtown, which is a very nice aspect of winter in Seattle, and I enjoy a ferry ride any time of year. I guess the only reason not to do it would be if it blows your vacation budget for the year. There are probably better ways to spend scarce vacation $$ than winter in Seattle (or Vancouver).
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I love the holiday season here (Seattle). The downtown area is all lit up, and there are many musical and theater events. Now Year's Eve at the Space Needle has been mentioned---we never stay up that late, but if you do, it is spectacular.

Spent one New Year's in Vancouver some years ago, and that was nice too. but I'd rather be up at Whistler if I'm going to Canada.

I can count many more Christmas and New Year's days when we were out skiing, hiking, or bicycling than sitting home hiding from the rain.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Things to do in Seattle:
Pike Place Public Market
International District/Chinatown
Space Needle/Seattle Center
Seattle Art Museum
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM

If you can add Victoria to your trip, Butchart Gardens at night is magical at Christmas time. They have a "Twelve Days of Christmas" display that is unique...a (fake) partridge in a pear tree; five golden rings (of floating lights on a pond)...the year we were there, "calling birds" were using cell phones.