Brasserie at 53rd in NYC for teens?

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brasserie at 53rd in NYC for teens?

Taking 18 yr & 16 yr teen nieces to NYC in a few weeks. I have some Amex points I can turn in for a certificate to Patina restaurant group that owns Rock Center Cafe, Sea Grill, Brasserie 8 1/2,etc. Wondering if they would think the Brasserie was a cool experience?
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM

The Brasserie restaurant on 53rd Street is not the same as Brasserie 8 1/2, which is on West 57th. But either would be fine for teens (although I don't know about "cool").
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM

I think the best thing about Brasserie 8 1/2 is their wonderful Sunday brunch buffet. Really elegantly done, wonderful food, and very comfortable.

Is that a possibility?
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick - unfortunately we'll be heading to LaGuardia while folks are brunching.
PS - Really enjoyed your posts on your month in Manhattan!!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Brasserie 8 1/2 was cool for the younger folk in our family b/c there was a Sex and the City scene filmed there that they all remembered and thought was so funny ( I think it was something about Margaret Cho and a fashion show but I could be wrong) - but it was something to do with someone coming down that cool stairway and so they were excited to be there b/c of that -

and it was Sunday Brunch and it was fabulous....

I haven't eaten at the others - BUT

if they are at all picky about what they eat, or you want to involve them in where - the atmosphere, decor - I would , if you don't care about which one, let them google the menu pages and choose one from your list -
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Of all the Patina places, I tend to think that Rock Center Cafe has the "youngest feel" to it.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Brasserie 8 1/2 is a popular place for drinks for the younger after-work crowd in the area. (Great drinks, BTW, though that doesn't help much for the teens!) I've heard the entrees are good, but haven't had more than apps myself.

The restaurant is in the Sex in the City episode with Margaret Cho: escargot has the scene exactly right. (It was just on TBS the other day.)
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM

I agree with Patrick. I'd go with the Rock Center Cafe.
Both the Brasserie and Brasserie 8 1/2 are quite good, but I don't use the word "cool" when I think of them.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Having two pre-teens myself, and living in NYC, the Rock Center Cafe does not rank high on the cool factor. It is a great place in winter, when you can watch the skaters, or on a beautiful spring day when you can sit outside, but otherwise the food and place is mediocore. (On that front, it is actually a terrific spot for Thanksgiving, though mobbed with both locals and tourists.) The Sea Grill, also located in Rock Center, has way better food and is more upscale, though it too doesn't rank high on a cool factor scale.

I think Patina also has the Brasserie, on East 53d, as others have mentioned. That spot too, I believe, was in a Sex in the City episode. When it first opened the place got a very hip crowd for awhile. It has now toned down markedly but it won a design award when it opened and is still likely the "coolest" of the spots you can choose from. It also serves very late. Its a great venue and, when you walk in, there is a camera which projects your photo, and those of everyone else coming through the door, on small TVs located above a very nice bar. The food is also good, mostly. Excellent grilled meats and good onion soup. Check the menu to make sure you don't go over your limit with the points, the prices there can add up. However, portions are mostly large and the steak for two (with a very good bernaise, and terrific frites) can easily feed three or four if you have starters. Also, their fresh baguette and french butter that they give you as soon as you arrive is addictive.
Have fun.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I've heard Brasserie 8 1/2 brunch has really gone downhill and I don't think any of these places has much "cool" factor for EATING at this point. If the ice rink is open by the time you arrive and you want to redeem these points, go to the Sea Grill or Rock Ctr. Cafe for the lovely views.