Weather/Clothing in Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Seattle in early May and have heard the average temperature is 55-60 degrees that time of year.

After growing up near D.C. and moving to Kansas two years ago, I have learned that 55-60 degrees can mean two entirely different climates in two different states.

My questions:
Is this a warm or cool 55-60 degrees? i.e. is this 55 degrees plus a cool wind? Or 55 degrees plus humidity?

How much does the temperature dip at night? Same questions with wind and humidity

I am often cold- should I bring a heavier coat?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:01 AM

May can be a frustrating month weather-wise in Seattle. The city is abloom with spring colors but the weather is still a bit unpredictable. Locals will comment that summer doesn't really officially arrive until the week after the 4th of July. I think if you lean toward the cooler 55-60 degrees you will not be far off the mark. The marine element of Seattle means cooler, windier and often wetter conditions in springtime. A beautiful 70+ degree day can be followed by a blustery rainy one. Nighttime temps drop into the mid 40's. Come prepared for anything and you'll enjoy an incredibly beautiful city during an explosion of spring blossoms.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Go to www.weatherbase.com for averages and extremes. You will be fine with a fleece jacket.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
one word... Layers!is the trick to dressing comfortably in Seattle. With a water-resistant outer layer or umbrella, if needed. It will not be humid. Besides that there's no guarantees around here. Month of May could be glorious, sunny, warm, shirt-sleeves weather. Or it could be gray, drizzly, gloomy, cool. Sometimes both in the same day
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM

Don't bring a heavy coat. Layer. The weather can be lovely that time of year. I hope it is when you visit.

HTTY