Seattle, Capital Hill B&B

Dec 31st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Seattle, Capital Hill B&B

Does anyone have any input on the Capital Hill Guest House in Seattle? My family (seven of us) including my 4 yr old daughter, and 80+ yr old grandparents will be in Seattle following a cruise.

The house looks nice, and I like the fact that guests have privilages to the kitchen (helping us save money on food costs). Has anyone stayed here before or have any insight on it's general location to major points of interest and public transportation (if not in walking distance). I'd like to avoid renting a car if possible.

Other income friendly accomodation recommendations are appreciated as well.
Dec 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM

I haven't stayed there but it is near where I live in Seattle. It is located a short walk from the #43 bus line that departs every 15 minutes.

I note the web site claims it is 10 blocks from downtown. It is farther--about a 30 minute walk (which I enjoy). There are grocery stores, restaurants, etc. nearby. I presume you have read about the place on TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ashington.html

Somebody at this forum wrote about Pensione Nichols, which is located much closer to the downtown action. Another place I've never stayed.

Dec 31st, 2008, 01:45 PM

I also live on Capitol Hill but do not know this particular B&B. Agreeing with the above it is way more than 10 blocks to downtown.

The ones I know about nearby are Shafer Bailee mansion, Salsbury house, and Gaslight Inn. But I believe those are all more expensive than the one you mention.

Dec 31st, 2008, 02:22 PM

That's kind of a hilly haul to downtown. Are you set on a B&B type accomodation? You might look at the Homewood Suites on Western (lower Queen Anne neighborhood). They have a two bedroom suite with a nice sized living area and good sized kitchenette, free breakfasts and happy hours (with food). It's well located to get into downtown - bus line right there and the Monorail is just a couple blocks away. Downtown core is a 30 minute walk, and the waterfront is half that. Not sure of their rack rate as I've stayed there on the company dime, but our corporate rate for the above suite was $139/night.
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to have to look into the Homewood Suites.
It's always difficult to judge distance when researching towns you've never been to...thanks to those who helped with actual milage/time factors. Walking distance is a major factor with two 80+ yr olds along for the ride!
I am now also considering a house along the water for a week, where we can rest and then go on day trips...though a car rental would also have to be in the works...it may be cost effective for a longer stay, spliting the cost three/four ways.
Thanks again!
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM

You need a map that shows the HILLS for judging walking here in Seattle (only partly kidding!).
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Suze: I know...who would have thought Seattle would be so hilly! I sure didn't.
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM

I thought everyone knew that already

Within the central area (downtown & Capitol Hill anyway) it is fairly flat going north/south, it's west/east that'll kill ya!
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM

An article featuring the hafer Baillie Mansion B&B appeared in the January 8, 2009 edition of The Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...wintown08.html

There is convenient bus service to downtown.

Jan 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM

HTTY~ Thanks for the article. Shafer Baille is just two blocks from my house so I want to recommend it for my own friends, when I have guests in town.