Mediterranean Inn - Seattle

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mediterranean Inn - Seattle

Planning a trip with the family next June and I'd prefer to stay within a relatively easy walking distance from downtown/market/waterfront area. I ran across this facility in a brochure and wanted to get some of your opinions on it.

Thank you!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:30 PM

This is fairly new, i haven't been in it but I know the location. It's considered lower Queen Anne. It is removed from the hubbub of downtown but you could walk or take a bus easily. There are quite a few restauarants and bars just north of it but the area south is a bit of a wasteland.

If you are looking to experience a different neighborhood than I would say go for it, depending on the price. If you really want to be in the center of things look at hotels downtown.

And if you decide to stay here I'll list my favorite spots for eating and drinking, I lived in the neighborhood for 5 years.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you stormygirl. I've considered downtown, but obviously many options to choose from. How far of a walk would you say that facility is to downtown?
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM

hmmmm...well you would hit Beltown first which is great, then Downtown. Depending on where dt you wanted to go you would probably head south on QA ave to Denny then east on Denny to 1st thru 5th. south into town. Maybe 20-30 mins walk?? I'm guessing as I've never done this! It's about 2 miles or so.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM

keep in mind that if the monorail opens again it would be a great location as you could take the rail from Seattle Center to Westlake Mall which is right dt!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
It's on the other side of Seattle Center from the "old" monorail (which BTW I think is down for the count.) It's about two miles to the market, central waterfront and Pioneer Square. There is bus service at the door. It's mostly downhill to the central part of the city, therefore uphill coming back. Personally I would opt for a more central location, but if the price is good I'd consider it. One plus with family is that there would be plenty of things to do for young people at Seattle Center - Pacific Science Center, EMP/Sci-Fi museum, etc. If you have a car I imagine parking would be easier too, unless the Sonics make the playoffs in which case Key Arena can be a source of congestion (two blocks away.) Sonics make the playoffs? Hahaha.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:18 PM

<<unless the Sonics make the playoffs >>

oh Gardyloo you kill me!! You are toooo funny! That would never happen!! BUT even if it did ddubya is going in June, playoffs would be over (right?)
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
No I think they go into June, or close to it. Seems like NBAll now is played 10 months out of the year. And on that subject, Go Storm!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:11 PM

I live and work in Queen Anne, where the Mediterranean is. Our sales staff stay there when they're in town, and seem to like it. There are coffee shops within a couple of blocks for breakfast, good restaurants for dinner, grocery stores, etc.

A couple of notes:
While bus service is very good, be careful of taking the bus from downtown at night - the bus stops on 3rd ave can get a little freaky after dark. It is about a half hour walk to downtown, which can be pleasant on a sunny day, as there are many interesting shops and restaurants on 1st in Belltown, which you would walk through. It's also fun to walk to the Market via the waterfront, which is easy from QA.

As others have mentioned, your nearly across the street from Seattle Center, which is lovely in the summer. And, sorry, but the monorail is dead. They've even stopped the bus service that replaced it, so it's all public transport from now on.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM

We stayed at the Mediterranean in July last year. The lobby was cute and it was in a great location for us. We walked all over, never using a cab or bus except when traveling from the airport and to the pier to leave for our cruise.

One reason we would not stay at the Mediterranean again is that it did not have air conditioning. The weather was not so warm that we were terribly uncomfortable (except when returning in the mid-afternoon), but it was really, really noisy outside the hotel. Not a huge deal, but the rooms where also very small. It's obviously an old hotel remodeled.

Oh, one other plus... Starbucks on premisis.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:39 PM
jimjim

The Mediterranean Inn is not a remodel of an old hotel. It is built on the site of what was an ihop restaurant and a parking lot. It's across the street from Dick's Drive-In, where Bill Gates likes to eat and from the Uptown theater which plays independent and "art" films. A bus stop one block from the hotel serves routes 2, 1, and 13 (Third Ave downtown), 15 and 18 (First Ave downtown, and 8 (Capitol Hill and REI). It sounds like a great place if you like a small, hot, noisy room.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM

hmmm... Perhaps I was making the assumption that it was an old building because of the lack of airconditioning and strange layout. I guess I assumed that it was a matter of working with old architecture... If this is a new building, someone when to great effort to screw it up well enough to look like a remodel of something of old...

I also just remembered that when we first got there, we went to chill some wine in the fridge, but there was an awful stench comming from it. To their credit, the problem was remedied right away the next day, but it did make me question the cleanliness of the place.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:19 AM

ShaeC- many places in Seattle don't have a/c. It rarely is hot enough to warrent it and we like the heat when it comes. I would guess that usually just the large corp hotels with big HVAC systems have cooling.

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your replies, I really appreciate it. sgirlie, your reply states the monorail is dead and they've stopped the bus service that replaced it. So, it's cab or walk?

Still not quite sure what we'll do. We don't mind spending a little extra to stay closer to the waterfront...this just seemed like a nice change. Thanks again!!

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Well, there *are* us weirdos who are very glad to see fall and cooler weather, but I'm willing to give heat lovers their two months per year. The bulk of the last two weeks have been gorgeous. Reminds me of why I love living here.

You'd be able to take Seattle's regular transit to Seattle Center, ddubya. The shuttle was replacing the monorail, but it was by no means the only way to get to Seattle Center.

Go to this site:

http://www.seattlecenter.com/transportation/metro.asp

It shows every Metro route that serves Seattle Center. When you click on the individual route numbers, it goes to a map of Seattle Center that shows where the bus stops are.