Ga Road Trip

Jan 7th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Ga Road Trip

We are driving from Chicago to Florida and want to make it to Calhoun Ga. Does anyone have any overnite suggestions..we are also bring out senior citizen terriers.
Sounds like too much fun, I know...

Thanks,

Lucci
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM

There are many of the typical chain places to stay along I-75 in Calhoun (Exit 312). Hampton, Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield / Courtyards, etc.

Less than an hour further is Atlanta which has an obviously wider array of choices.

Jan 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM

If you stop before Atlanta to Calhoun, you will want to consider what time you drive thourgh Atlanta the next morning if it is a weekday. There's not point sitting in rush hour traffic.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Calhoun? Why Calhoun? If you're risking Atlanta afternoon or morning traffic, it will NOT be worth staying in Calhoun.

How about this: Get through the City down toward the south side. If you stop just before Forsyth, GA, you'll be close enough to get lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe. At the Forsyth exit, you're just a skip over to Juliette, GA and the Whistle Stop Cafe. Remember that movie with Kathy Bates, Fried Green Tomatoes? Well, it was filmed in Juliette at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

It's great southern cooking at its best.

Have fun!

Jan 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM

I meant to type "no point".

The Forsyth suggestion is a good one.
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I have to find out just how far Forsyth is from Chicago. It's been a long time since I drove through Atlanta and I am sure that the AM drive can be a mess and although I live in Chicago, I wouldn't mind starting out without a lot of traffic. Besides, I loved thefilm Fried Green Tomatos.

Lucci
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:26 PM

lucci, I love LaQuintas when traveling with my terrier. You can check for LaQ's using the "along the route" option at www.lq.com.

There's a very nice one in Macon which is less than 30 minutes from the Whistle Stop cafe in Juliette, GA. There are some REALLY good restaurants in Macon too.
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM

I'd go as far as the LaQuinta in Dalton, GA.
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Will you be driving down 75 south or 85 south? Pine Mounatin Georgia is near "Warm Springs" where Roosevelt lived as well as Callaway Gardens. There is a B & B called "The Chipley Murrah House" http://www.chipleymurrah.com which is wonderful in Pine Mountain. The owner is great and may let you have your dogs in one of the cottages. It is a fantastic place and is so clean and comfy. The restaurants are walking distance and really charming shops as well. Take a look at Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3...ia-Hotels.html
for other ideas. The other thing is Barnsley Gardens north of Atlanta. What about the North Georgia mountains? Calhoun would not be my first choice! Have fun!
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Are you planning on taking the dogs in or leaving them in the car overnight?
Last time we drove to Florida with the pooch there was a huge charge for having the dog at most hotels. I cant remember the specifics except that we did end up leaving the dog in the car overnight.
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:45 PM

All LaQuintas allow dogs and do not have any additional charges.

Some Holiday Inns allow dogs, but the pet policy varies from location to location. My experience has been that only the older "vintage" style Holiday Inns allow dogs - Holiday Inn Express do not.

I believe all Motel 6's allow dogs, but I've never stayed in one.

I prefer the LaQ's that have "and Suites" in their names. They are usually newer.

Do check with individual hotels for their pet policies - but the pet policy for LaQs are standard nationwide = free.
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM

I double-checked. There are 4 LaQ locations that do not allow pets -

Pets are welcome at most locations nationwide. Please review the property overview for individual hotel policies.

When booking online, place a note in the "Special Requests" field of the customer information page indicating that you are traveling with a pet, if allowed. When making reservations over the phone, let the Reservation Sales Agent or front desk Sales Representative know that you are traveling with a pet.

There are 4 locations that do not accept pets. These are: Manhattan, NY; Queens, NY; Monterrey, CA and San Diego (Old Town), CA.
Jan 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again and my dogs thank you too! I found out last night that the Holiday inn xpress does not take dogs, if fact, a lot of motels don't. It's interesting because we have become a Doggy Society and I know that in Chicago dogs are welcome at the Ritz..BowWow! Some Country Inn and Suites do and now I will check for the others suggested. Our route from Chicago is 57 to 24 to 75 to Springhill Florida. I know the weather next week is going to be awful..they called for snow showers in Atlanta next Fri. But it is snowing like crazy here now so we are used to it.

Sorry this is so long...I'm just trying to get out of shoveling the sidewalk.

Lucci
Jan 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM

They may have filmed "Fried Green Tomatoes" in GA, but it was based and written about the Whistle Stop Cafe in Irondale, AL

http://www.whistlestopcafe.com/index.html