Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from Greenville-Spartanburg airport to Tuscaloosa, AL - is there any way to avoid Atlanta?

Driving from Greenville-Spartanburg airport to Tuscaloosa, AL - is there any way to avoid Atlanta?

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arriving at GSP at 4:30 pm and the next day I have a meeting in Tuscaloosa, AL at 11 am. I rather avoid driving at night and after reading all posts about traffic in Atlanta not drive through it. Is there any way I could avoid driving through Atlanta during evening and morning rush hours? Can someone recommend a nice hotel convenient to the route I'll be on so I could stay overnight? I know I need to take route I-85 from GSP. Thank you for any help you can provide
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:52 AM

You'll be fine if you just time your drive right.

The route - 85 south into Atlanta and then 20 west into Alabama.

I recommend that you stay at a hotel in Douglasville, GA so you'll be on the other side of Atlanta traffic the next day so you can just drive on into Alabama.

Google "Douglasville GA", choose MAP. One you have your map, choose "choose business" and enter "hotels" to see what and where your options are. I'd stay at the Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn. There's a mall nearby and eating options too.

If you leave Greenville at 5, you will be hitting Atlanta around 7. You shouldn't have any trouble with traffic at that time on 85 southbound or 20 west.

It will be an easy drive. Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM

I didn't answer your direct question.
No, there's really not a way to avoid Atlanta. The 285 bypass goes around downtown Atlanta, but that would be worse for your situation.

Really, you will be fine. You are going "against traffic" as you come down 85 into Atlanta. By 7pm, 20 West traffic should not be bad at all. Probably no traffic. You are going through the middle of town, but it will be a breeze based on your route.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

starrsville, you are a real star in my book. This is very helpful. I am going to check out right now Douglasville, GA. Thank you so much and have a peaceful holiday
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Keep in mind too that you will gain an hour when you cross the Ala state line...thus your 11:00 meeting may be 10:00 Central time. Douglasville is about 3 hours from Tuscaloosa if you don't hit traffic in B'ham.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM

What Starrsville said. I actually thought Birmingham (I think) was more dangerous than Atlanta! It isn't all that bad. Just up and do it. Good point about time gain.