Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

drive Nashville-Knoxville...any must see's along the way?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
My family and I are going to Knoxville to visit friends over Thanksgiving weekend. I have several questions. First, we are flying in to Nashville on Thanksgiving night and will stay there that night. On Friday we will drive to Knoxville. We have 3 young kids, and I am looking for any interesting areas along I-40 that we can stop (take pictures, grab lunch/snack, or visit anything of interest). Sat. I would like to drive into the Smoky Mtns., and would like to stay the night there, so, does anyone know of any good hotels and/or cabins that would be nice/fun for us. This is our first trip to TN, and while it is a quick one, I'd like to enjoy ourselves, so any help would be GREAT!!!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Don't think there's any "must-see". It's only 180 miles or about 3 hours. Might as well drive straight thru.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 07:48 AM

I drive that section of 1-40 3 to 4 times a month and it is very boring. Nothing to see at all. I do suggest going to the Smoky's. If you could, try out the Apple Barn restraunt. VERY good food. Piegon Forge/Gatlinburg are very trashy and redneck. I would just drive through the mountins. Pack a lunch and stop along the way. Great family time.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 09:34 AM
iceeu2

vegasnative, if you want to go a bit out of your way..instead of taking I-40 from Nashville to Knoxville...go on I-24 from Nashville to Chattanooga. Then when you leave Chattanooga, take I-75 to Knoxville.

Stop in Chattanooga and go to the Aquarium or Rock City or stop at the Chattanooga Choo Choo for a few minutes. It is about a 2 hour drive from Nashville to Chattanooga and another 2 hours or less from Chattanooga to Knoxville.

Chattanooga is very scenic and there are some good photo ops along the way.

Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I agree that the more interesting route will be through Chattanooga. The aquarium in Chattanooga is wonderful and there is also an IMAX theatre and I think there is a children's science museum (not sure about that, but it would be very easy find that info online). Lookout Mountain is also a nice place to visit. You could spend a few hours at either of those places if you wanted. I just wanted to warn you that if you head toward Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg on the day after Thanksgiving you will likely sit in traffic for hours. That area is an outlet mall mecca and it will be wall to wall cars & people throughout that weekend. You can get to the Smokies by going to Maryville and then Townsend and then following directions to the Park. You'll get on the road that Elkmont campground is on. At the end of that road there is a nice visitor's center. I live in Knoxville and that's the way we go to avoid sitting in the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge traffic. It's also one of the prettiest drives around. I'm horrible with road names/#s, but you should be able to find the roads on the Great Smoky Mtns website or most any atlas. I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions about hotels. There are some in Maryville & Townsend, including cabins & B&Bs. There are a lot of hotels in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area but there are probably no vacancies and, once again, you'd have to deal with all the cars.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
iceeu2

The children's science museum in Chattanooga that deborah is thinking of is The Creative Discovery Museum.

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I will second Deborah's thoughts about avoiding the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area on Thanksgiving weekend due to traffic. It can easily take over an hour to go just a few miles when things are busy over there. The suggestion to enter the Smokies through Maryville and Townsend is a good one. I believe the road from Maryville is 321, also called the Foothills Parkway. Townsend would also be my choice of where to stay that night. It bills itself as the "quiet side of the Smokies" and it is much calmer than the Pigeon Forge side. Townsend is also a very quick drive to the Cades Cove entrance to the GSMNP, which is one of my favorite areas to drive/bike.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

deb & betsy,
thanks for your help, I had completely forgot about Black Friday!! We are going toward Gatlinburg on that Sat., I and plan on visiting the Smoky's and also Ober Gatlinburg. deb, our friends live in West Knoxville, and I am looking for a hotel, would Farragut be considered "west" knoxville? Thanks for your help you guys, I appreciate it.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:12 PM

It is long, along a kind of interesting plateau and you just have to do it. I cannot see going through Chattanooga, unless you are on a sightseeing trip.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Farragut is definitely west of Knoxville. Lots of hotels/motels there, and easy access to I-140 to head to Maryville.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM

You'll be in my backyard when you are in Farragut!!! If you go one more exit east - Cedar Bluff area - you'll find many hotels. (I live in Cedar Bluff) I don't know if the Univ of TN is playing football at home that weekend, so you'll want to check that out. If they are, it will be almost impossible to get a hotel room. Lots of luck. If you have children, you'll enjoy visiting Cades Cove in the Smokies - it's not unusual to see deer grazing and sometimes black bears (although the timing is probably not right to see a bear). Also, being in Farragut, you'll be very convenient to Pellissippi Parkway which will take you toward Maryville and the mountains. Enjoy East Tennesee - it a gorgeous area. Let me know if there are more questions.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:40 AM

To clarify:
Pellissippi Parkway = I-140
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

deb,
thanks for all your help. I got a hotel in Farragut for the Friday night, then us and hopefully our friends will go with us into Gatlinburg and the Smokys. I do have a couple more questions. Because we have 3 very young children (ages 4,4,and 2), we have to take time out and do kids stuff as well. Two things, well 3 now because I'll check out Cades Cove, what about Ober Gatlinburg (skylift, sled slide) and my boys are HUGE Dukes of Hazzard fans (yes, we watch it every night), I just saw that Cooters Place is in Gatlinburg, ever been? My boys would really get a kick out of seeing a few things from the show and I'll get them a t-shirt as well. So, just wanted your opinion on that as well.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Our son really enjoyed the Lost Sea/Caverns which is on the way.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
iceeu2

vegasnative...your children will not get into driving and sightseeing at Cades Cove..maybe that will be a good time for a nap when you drive thru there.

There are lines at Cooter's and he is there sometimes to sign autographs and do photos. But....you are going to be sitting in heavy duty traffic trying to get from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg anytime during that weekend.

If you want to do a show that absolutely everyone...children and adults will love...go to The Comedy Barn...it is first class family hilariously funny entertainment. Your age children are free.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Ok, you guys are starting to scare me about this traffic in the area of Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Since I will be staying in West Knoxville on Friday night, shoul I come down through Maryville, Walland and enter Gatlingburg/Smokys via the 73 (Townsend)? I'd like to see Blackberry Farm anyway. Also, where is this Comedy Barn, is it in Gatlinburg?
PS-deb, I talked to our friend this morning and you must live near them because he also mentioned the hotels on Cedar Bluff, he said he lives 3 minutes from the Holiday Inn, so that is where I booked. (We are splurging the night before in Nashville at the Gaylord Opryland, so...back to reality for the rest of the trip. Another other suggestions/ideas, keep them coming. Also, any good (nothing too fancy) places that we can take our friends out to eat in Knoxville on Friday night...maybe steak or something all the kids will eat.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:35 PM

If you like barbecue at all, Calhoun's is really good and kid friendly. They do serve other things but the ribs are great. There's one on Kingston Pike, not far from the Cedar Bluff exit.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

You've picked a good place to stay (Holiday Inn). They have a great indoor pool (Holidome, I think they call it), which is a great place to wind down & relax (& wear the kids down!). They recently remodeled, but I am pretty sure they kept the pool. As the crow flies, it's about a mile from my house. You are staying in a great area. It probably has more restaurants per capita than any other area around Knoxville. You can get anything you want in any price range. There is a Cracker Barrel, McDonalds, KFC, Arby's, etc within walking distance from the Holiday Inn. Across the interstate (I-40) there is Dave's BBQ, Applebees, Carrabas Italian, Peerless Steak & Seafood, Corkys BBQ, Outback. Also, Chinese, Mexican, Thai ... you name it. There are several restaurants in the Turkey Creek shopping area in Farragut (you'll see it when you drive in - right before the Lovell Rd exit). Calhoun's is always a favorite & we usually take out-of-town guests to the one downtown on the riverfront. It's my favorite, but the one on Kingston Pike (right at the Pellissippi Pkwy) is so convenient we eat there, too. I'd try to call ahead for seating if you can plan that far ahead. Even though there are a lot of restaurants, it is always amazing to me how long the wait can be.
Not sure of the scheduling this year, but often the annual Christmas boat parade is held the weekend after Thanksgiving. People decorate their boats (most of them elaborately) and they have a Christmas parade down the Tennessee River! There are always things for kids to do (face-painting, etc).
The Cades Cove drive could possibly be boring for the kids if they don't get to see any wildlife. I'm not sure where you are coming from & what they are used to, but if they've ever been anywhere like Yellowstone, it could be a let down. I'd play that part by ear & do it if you have time.
I've never been to Cooter's or the Comeday Barn, but if the boys are Duke's fans, I'd give it a shot. The traffic will likely stink, but I have to warn you that traffic in West Knoxville isn't exactly something to look forward to!
I've never been to Ober Gatlinburg except to ski, but the skylift would be great fun. They have an ice skating rink, but I don't know if it open year-round.
We have a decent zoo here in Knoxville (farther east, but right off I-40) so that might be something to consider.
Now that I think about it, you'll probably have to make another trip here to try all this stuff!!
PS - Enjoy your stay at the Opryland Hotel. It has been my annual treat to my daughter (who was in college in the Nashville area until last spring)and myself. She transferred to a school in GA this summer, so I can't come up with a good excuse to make that splurge this year...oh, well.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help and the two suggestions of Calhouns is good enough for me, I love BBQ and that is something we don't have very many of here in Vegas, so I look forward to a real treat.
Deb, our friends live on Parrish Rd., sounds as though it may be not too far from you. Since you are familiar with the Opryland, I have yet another question for you. We will get into Nashville Thanksgiving day at 4PM (from Vegas) and will go straight to hotel to check in. The Opryland looks like a huge property, so I'm sure they have plenty of places to eat, but do you think they will have Thanksgiving dinners going on in there, or do you know of any restaurants in the Nashville area that would be good for our family. I don't reall want anything fancy because we will have been traveling all day and with the kids we will probably be a wreck...but would like something decent for us for Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Vegas
Not sure about a Thanksgiving meal at Opryland, but I do know that they have a culinary school there and, it being a vacation destination in itself, I can't imagine there not being some sort of plan. I would call & ask them about it, because it may require a reservation. I have always been amazed at the number of people at that place - although it is lovely, especially at Christmas - and I feel sure that there are many folks who stay there on Thursday and then get up on Friday (sans husbands!) & hit the outlet mall that is right behind the hotel property. Make sure you have your camera since there will be many "Kodak Moments", especially with the kids. I don't know if you send Christmas cards, but it would be a great place to dress them up & make a picture to mail.
Back to the restaurants - I'm not that familiar with restaurants outside the OpryMills Mall. There is a sportsbar (Gilley's?) at the mall that may be open on Thanksgiving day. They also have arcade games, skeeball, some that the 4-yr-olds may be able to participate in. If you drink beer, it's a good place to hang out (but pretty noisy) and chill after a day travelling. It's on the same end of the mall as the hotel and you could walk there and not have to move your car, which can be a real hassle. The Opryland Hotel is HUGE and so their parking lot is, too. I've only had breakfasts & once a hamburger at the hotel but they were very good (although pricey). I don't know if there is a Cracker Barrel near there (you could look on your way in or go to their website to find out) but I would consider them - nice variety to choose from, childrens menu, reasonable prices and an interesting place to look around if you have to wait. Sorry I'm not much help in the restaurant area.
Tell your friend we live in the subdivision behind the Catholic High School off Cedar Bluff Rd. We've been here 11 years and love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -