Seaside Oregon area help

Search

Seaside Oregon area help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seaside Oregon area help

I thought I might want to take my 3 year old tidepooling on the coast in July. Is this a safe thing to do with a little one? Where would be a good place to go? We are staying in Astoria.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM

The tide pool in Cannon Beach is quite amazing. Here is a complete guide: http://www.beachconnection.net/orego..._tidepools.php
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM

Keep your child in hand. Don't turn your back on the water, it's dangerous because of the possibility of huge waves that seem to come out of nowhere. And do know that the water is frigid. That said, tide pools are fascinating to explore. The aquarium on the coast is also wonderful and a great destination with your 3 year old. I'd advise researching tide pools so that you know what you are looking for and at. Once you find your first sea star (star fish) you'll be hooked!
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM

Hello mapngo, families members in Portland, OR with a little fellow just 18 months older than yours love to go to the coast and their time there is fun and relaxing and the little one loves the trips! As saige commented,just be safety alert at all times.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM

I agree with HTTY about Cannon Beach. It is a perfect spot to do this and in the summer they have docents at Haystack Rock to help you learn about what you see.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I have a really curious little one and this could be a lot of fun. I will check out the link happytrails.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM

I agree--go on down to CB--much nicer town and beach than Seaside.

We were there this past summer and timed our visit for when the tides were out but there isn't anything there anymore. They had a guide standing there answering questions and he said the heavy traffic had been detrimental to the sea life. They had signs up keeping you out of some sections to try to restore it. This was all right in front of Haystack Rock. There may be other places but we didn't hear about any.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Cannon Beach is great for the tidepooling, here in Seaside where I am there is a small aquarium where you can feed the seals, your little one may enjoy that, it's lots of fun. Where are you staying in Astoria? We were there yesterday at the Crab and Seafood Festival and had a great time! ***kim***
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Lamplighter. We could stay for free with my sister, but after the last visit my DH insists on having our own place. We were hoping to do some tidepooling in CB then hit the aquarium on our way back to Astoria.
Connie's post about nothing to see is bothersome. I hope that is not the norm. I wonder if we need to plan on doing a different activity.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Maybe Connie doesn't have a three-year-old. There is plenty to hold your child's interest in Seaside.

In comparison to Seaside, Cannon Beach has more up-scale shops and restaurants of the kind many Fodorites prefer. The town is only nine miles south of Seaside--there's nothing to stop you from going there too, and beautiful Ecola State Park is on the way.

HTTY
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Take your little one to the enclosed mall here in Seaside, they have a carousel that kids love! Also, lots of candy stores, ice cream shops and fun shops for tourists here. www.seasideor.com ***kim***