North Oregon Coast touring

Old May 24th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Oregon Coast touring

Hello: I reside on Long Island, NY. I thought it would be nice to tour an area on the pacific coast this August ( 7 to 8 days). I will be traveling with my wife and nine y/o daughter. Would start in Portland (two nights possibly) and the head for the coast. Would go as far south as Pacific City.What town along the north coast would make for a good home base? For those that have traveled this route which children, is it a area that interests children of her age? I would be glad to hear about suggested routes and activities. Also, how is the weather and ocean temps.in late August in these areas?
Thank you.
Old May 24th, 2015, 06:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
OK I'm guessing you will be flying into PDX. From outside baggage claim, take the TriMet red line into the city.
Try to pick a hotel not far from a stop. Spend a morning in Portland and then rent a car downtown.
Head west on US 26 until you reach US 101. go south to Cannon Beach. See Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. If you are lucky, you will be there at low tide so you can walk out a little closer to the rock.
Cannon Beach is a bit expensive for lodging IMO so head south to either Manzanita or Garibaldi either would be a good base.
Make a stop at the Tillamook cheese factory (north end of town) for great cheese and ice cream.
I think you should go farther south than Pacific City.
Go through Newport and over the big bridge to the Oregon Coast Aquarium which is a treat for all ages.
Go back on US 20 from Newport. If you have more time, go back by way of McMinnville and stop at the Evergreen Aviation Museum. Lots of great stuff there including the "Spruce Goose".
Before you turn in the rental car, head east of Portland on I-84 and see at least one of the waterfalls. Multnomah Falls is Oregon's tallest and it has a parking area in the median (left exit).
If it should happen to rain while you are in Portland, visit Powell's World of Books (10th & Burnside).
Old May 24th, 2015, 07:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot to mention Cape Meares west of Tillamook.
There is no guarantee on the coastal weather. Most of the surfers I've see on the Oregon coast have been wearing wet suits.
Old May 24th, 2015, 08:24 PM

Cannon Beach is our favorite town, but Manzanita is beautiful- the main difference is that there are a lot more restaurants/shops in Cannon Beach, so if you are into that, you don't do as much driving if you stay in CB. We've stayed in Manzanita a few times but gave up because we spent most of our time in Cannon Beach for tidepooling, dining, shopping, etc.

If you want 1 base- Cannon Beach/Manzanita. If you want 2 bases- Cannon Beach half time and Newport half time, so you get to explore each area. Astoria and Seaside are worth visits up north- devil's punch bowl, lighthouses, aquarium, and sea lion caves are all worth seeing near Newport. Newport is more a working town combined with a very touristy town- Cannon Beach is more high end cute beach village. (High end for Oregon Coast, that is).

I grew up vacationing on the northern coast: I enjoyed tidepooling, wave jumping, skimboarding, kite flying, etc. remainder of Peter Iredale hull at Fort Stevens was pretty cool for me. Biking a beach trike on the beach was also a lot of fun. Loved the maritime museum in Astoria on rainy weekends as a teen. My siblings loved the rides and mini golf in Seaside as well. Really depends on the kid.

Weather: usually has been a crapshoot. But in recent years, August has been much hotter and dryer than 15-20 years ago. We haven't had good kite flying weather for a while in August (might just be our bad luck though.) 75- 85 weather wise, probably, but often foggy in the morning or at evening. It definitely cools down at night though- people layer, even in August. Rain coat is always a good thing to have just in case.

Water is very cold. Not swimmable. Some people boogie board and surf, but I don't think I've ever seen a surfer without a wetsuit. We were pretty stunned to discover we could actually swim in the Atlantic at Cape Cod- it was warmer than our mountain lakes. When we were kids at Cannon Beach we'd go out to maybe chest depth to wave jump, but we'd get cold really fast. Like lips blue, teeth chattering cold. I don't gonin past my knees anymore- I've turned to a big wimp as an adult!

But the northern coast really is dramatically wildly beautiful in a way Massachusett coast was not- scenic driving and hiking is good for all ages in my opinion hiking to the top of Multnomah Falls is also a really good childhood memory.

In Portland: a kid that age would definitely enjoy both Powells Books and Voodoo Donuts.
Old May 31st, 2015, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all respondents. I have been researching and decided that I would like to also tour the Columbia river gorge area. Would it be advisable to tour there on the rebound from the coast? I don't know if while in Portland I should head east to the gorge and then back out west to the coast. I could use help with the sequence and how to break up seven to eight days between Portland, the North Coast and the gorge area.
As always I appreciate forum members help and advice.
Old May 31st, 2015, 06:13 PM

I suggest the Gorge at the tail end of the trip. You could stay at the Edgefield in Troutdale. It is a fun place to stay, easy access to both the gorge and the airport.

The Edgefield used to be a poor farm, then a nursing home and now a hotel. There is a brew pub, a winery, a movie theatre and a couple of restaurants. There is art work reminiscent of the days of poor farm on every wall, door. The downside for some is that all the rooms do not have a private bath. Has never bothered me to put on a bathrobe and toddle down the hall but I know not acceptable for some. There are some rooms with baths I believe.
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 08:06 PM

The most beautiful stretch of the north Oregon coast is from Yachats
around Cape Perpetua to Florence.

There are sea lion caves just north of Florence.

Newport (just north of Yachts) is home to the world class Oregon Coast Aquarium.

Children like the tide pools near Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach and ice cream cones at the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook.

The ocean along the Oregon coast is never warm enough for me to nine-year-old children to swim in.

HTtY