Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Denver to Albuquerque OR Phoenix to Albuquerque? Focus on NP's

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to take a week in early September to drive to Albuquerque EITHER from Denver or Phoenix and visit some National Parks or other hiking areas along the way.

Any suggestions for a preferred route or places to visit plus overnight stops would be appreciated.

We don't like to spend all day in the car so drive times should be kept under 3 hours a day (hopefully with somewhere scenic to stop enroute). We'd prefer not to backtrack and do not want to visit the Grand Canyon on this trip.

We are active hikers but my DH has knee issues so shorter hikes are preferred (up to 2 hours is fine and longer if the terrain is flat).

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM

If you look at http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm, it will give you a good idea of what parks are located where in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. If you decide on Denver to Albuquerque, there are only a few parks within reasonable distance from I-25 that would work for a week's trip. Rocky Mountain National Park is definitely worth a visit, especially in September, usually the best month weather-wise. A few days there is good. Then venture south to Sand Dunes National Park, about an hour's drive off I-25. A day or two there is sufficient, including exploring the San Luis Valley, an overlooked and very pretty area of the state. Then continue south, perhaps via the backroads to Taos and further to Bandelier National Monument, an area of excellent ruins and petroglyphs. With a week's time, that would make a good trip with time to visit these diverse areas.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:36 AM

I think I would do Denver to ABQ, while there aren't many NP's there is some beautiful country along that route that lends itself to hikes etc.

Coming from Phoenix, you could go through Sedona and that area for nice country, but there are only 2 NP's once you cross into NM and the drive east on I40 is pretty awful. I am guessing that you are aware of Grand Canyon if you pick PHX to ABQ.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 01:04 PM

If you take the Denver option, after RMNP and Sand Dunes, you can get Mesa Verde, Hovenweep Nat. Monument, Canyon De Chelly. Petrified Forest N.P. and Petroglyph Nat. Monument without too much driving out of your way.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM

IMO, getting to Mesa Verde, etc. from I-25 is completely out of the way, at least 4-5 hours driving from I-25 to all of them. Doesn't sound at all what the OP had in mind.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM

"without too much driving out of your way"

Mesa Verde is the closest of the places listed and it is 4 hours away as tekwriter states and the other suggestions are much further. As wonderful as these other sites are, they won't work for your original parameters.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb and tek.. I liked boom-boom's ideas but the extra driving time and distance just doesn't appeal.

I was leaning towards Phoenix but Denver sounds better.
Is the I90 really awful?
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM

"Is the I90 really awful?"

You must be from California - we don't call our interstate "THE"
I 90!

And I think you mean I 40? It is pretty dull from the stateline to ABQ. I have driven it only once and it was so tedious.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Oops yes I 40 was what I meant but I live in MA and usually I do call the Mass pike THE I 90..
I'm British though and I called it the motorway about 8 years ago so I'm getting there!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Is I 40 dull? Yep! Lots of truck traffic too.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Ok, Thanks all, I'm convinced that Denver is the best option for this trip.

I'll look into Rocky Mountain NP and San Dunes NP. We've been to Bandelier but will revisit if time permits.

Still considering flying into SLC and visiting Arches and Canyonlands. So many options that I'm spoilt for choice!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Sassy - I didn't realize you were open to other starting cities! SLC would be a great option - you could add Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Hovenweep etc, Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon to Arches, Canyonlands, Moab, Bandelier etc.

We can have a drink at sunset when you get to ABQ!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

It sounds perfect but I think that has to be a longer trip, right? It looks a long way on my wall map! I'm reluctant to squeeze all that into a week (we have 8 days max).
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:28 AM

Actual drive time [without stops] from Denver to ABQ is about 6 hours or so. Drive time from Salt Lake City will be longer [not sure, maybe 8]and there are way more stops you can make, so you would have to pick and choose.

You could also try flying into either Grand Junction or Durango.

Deb
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb, I hadn't considered Grand Junction or Durango.

Grand Junction looks like the best option but it does mean we won't get to see our friends in SLC.
Car hire seems ridiculously expensive and I thought it was because of interstate surcharges but I checked into Grand Junction and out of Durango and it was still close to $1000 for the 8 days.

A couple more kinks to work out including whether we'll be 3, 4 or 5 going on this trip but I'm excited!
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM

IMO I-40 between Albuquerque and the Arizona state line is scenic once you get to the Acoma Pueblo exit (that little church up on the hill at the McCarty's exit, red rocks, etc.) but I too would choose to go from Denver to Albuquerque. Your Utah idea is good as well.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lee Ann. Flying into Phoenix is the cheapest option.