Search

Scottsdale and ????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottsdale and ????

Lucky us! We have already enjoyed the Grand Canyon and Sedona. If we wanted to add an additional 3-4 days to a trip to Scottsdale, where is a reasonable place to drive before flying back to NYC? THANKS!!!!! (seniors)

Also, we were thinking about the second week of October? Reasonable time of year for this week?
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The most obvious place, if you haven't been, would be Tucson. Lots to see there and it's around a 2hr drive, depending on traffic.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think an equally obvious choice would be Flagstaff, a very nice college town & a good contrast with Scottsdale, a smaller mountain town, rather than another desert metropolis. Good restaurants, a great compact downtown to hang out & also has museums. I lived in AZ for many years, have spent a lot of time in both Tucson & Flagstaff & for a few days would prefer Flag.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't suggest Flagstaff, which I love, because the OP said they had "already enjoyed the Grand Canyon and Sedona", so it seemed they might also have been in Flagstaff.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 08:02 PM

I thought the same but, since it wasn't mentioned & in case they hadn't visited, it would be my first choice.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 07:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I love Tucson but also thought Flagstaff might be a good alternative.

However, since I've never been there at that time of year . . . those who know it better, is there a likelihood of snow in Flagstaff by mid October??
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Second week of October will still be very warm in Scottsdale Tucson( higher temps in Scottsdale.) Going north of the Scottsdale area would be better.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:18 AM

Little chance of snow in October in Flagstaff.

Flagstaff, Arizona Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)

Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 11:17 PM

Another option would be 4 hours south to Rocky Point, Mexico if you prefer the beach.
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Not from AZ, but wife went to U of A in Tucson in the early 80’s so have visited several times including Flagstaff and Sedona though normally March/April. Interestingly never Phoenix/Scottsdale as only used as a port of entry due to direct flights to PHX. Flagstaff is very nice, but similar to other mountain type towns further north and seems to me an escape for Phoenix from the desert and summer heat. Tucson gives a different AZ experience with Sabino Canyon, Saguaro National Park, missions, mountains, and very good restaurants/accommodations. We've struck great Priceline deals for resorts (Loews/Westin) in northern Tucson just below the Catalina mountains.
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 08:32 AM

If you want to hike, kayak Watson Lake, golf and enjoy some terrific restaurants- take a look at Prescott! It has a charming downtown shopping area ( old fashioned town square with many shops and restaurants. It's a wonderful place to spend a few days and close enough for a day trip to Jerome! Check out El Gato Azul, Papa's Italian and the amazing Park Plaza Liquor and Deli! The weather there is milder than Scottsdale and its one of my favorite places!
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 10:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In Flagstaff you can visit the Lowell Observatory and a state park that includes a mansion that was home to brothers who founded the Arizona Lumber and Timber Company. You can head east and visit Winslow and see the statue of Glen Frey "standin on the corner"
For a good evening meal, try the Manzanita restaurant in the small town of Cornville.