I-70, I-80, r I-90 driving Chicago to Denver?

Old Sep 24th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I-70, I-80, r I-90 driving Chicago to Denver?

I'm driving with a friend from Boston to Denver next month and we want to stop in Chicago on the way. We have six days between when we leave and when my friend needs to fly home from Denver (I'm continuing on to LA for a move). I've been looking at routes and can't decide if it would be better to take I-70 and stop in St. Lous, take I-80 for the fastest route, or if it would be worth the extra time taking I-90 and seeing the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 01:57 PM

It is really just a question of what you want to do and what you interests are. All three can be pretty boring routes although I think I-80 across Iowa and especially Nebraska is more interesting than i-70 across Kansas and eastern CO. But it is mostly wide open interstate. The Gateway arch at Kearney is an interesting and fairly well done three hour stop with min time lost getting on and off I-80. Buffalo Bill's ranch in North Platte is worth an hour and the Union Pacific rail yard are super interesting if you are into trains. Eisenhower museum in Abilene off I-70 is worth a half day BUT it is real boring from that point west. What are you interests???
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 03:12 AM

Just get on to Denver and enjoy some time there although the Badlands are quite interesting to me. But 6 days from Boston will be eaten up with a stop in Chicago also.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 04:21 AM

From Boston to Chicago, 90 is a tiny bit longer but much less stressful and not much different in time. From there I would evaluate the weather conditions and decide which route to take. Denver has already had snow but they deal with it well so hunker down for a day then head out if it snows when you get there.

If you continue west on 70 from Denver, you could drop down 191 to Moab and visit Arches and Canyonlands then continue south and visit Grand Canyon then pick up 40 to 15 to LA.
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 05:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In the east cut down on I-81 to get to I-80 south of Scranton. Avoid the NYS Thruway. The Badlands (I-90) could get a sudden snowstorm in late October so take the southerly route. After Denver, Moab would be a good stop. Try for Las Vegas for the stop before Los Angeles (I-15).