Reload this Page >

to-do's and to-eats in and around Scottsdale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Shelley

3 questions - 1,I am taking a business trip to Scottsdale at the end of February. We need a place for a birthday dinner for 2 bosses. We want something nice, SW, authentic, with vegetarian options, but casual and not too pricey or loud. Also - in walking distance from the Hilton Garden Inn. 2, How is this hotel? 3, And - my fiance will join over the weekend and he's never been out that way. We will only have Saturday for a day trip and I'd love to show him something resembling G. Canyon or Arches Nat'l park in Utah. Grand and beautiful SW spectacle......suggestions?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:47 AM
Gregory

Hi Shelley,
I stayed at that Hilton Garden Inn at the end of August. It is a nice hotel.Rooms are large and comfortable (a/c works and is quiet ). The rooms have a fridge, microwave and cofee maker. The hotle has a slef service washing machine and dryer. The hotle has afitness room and a pool open from 6am- 11pm ( nice for an evening dip).

The breakfast buffet available for $10 is fine.The hotel also has a "Pavillion Pantry" which sells essentials like snacks, biscuits drinks , asprin etc. The prices are not as cheap naturally as as the supermarket but still reasonable.
I do not know about restaurants but there will be several in the old town Scottsdale (5minute walk).
I went to the Outback restaurant at the back of the hotel ( Australian but had steak etc)- a little noisy but good value and casual.

There is a shopping centre about 5 minutes walk with a good supermarket ( stock up with cold drinks) and the Fashion Square mall is about 10minutes walk away.

Hope you have a great time.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:08 AM
Dina

Shelley: If you like Italian, try the Italian Grotto in old Scottsdale. Excellent food, service and location.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:25 AM
Kay

You'll have a tough time making the GC into a day trip. Utah is out IMO. Yes, you could physically do it but you wouldn't enjoy it (Arches trip would entail at least 14 hours of driving).
Why not day trip to Sedona? Quite spectacular and a very easy drive (day trip).

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:08 PM
just curious

You can do a quick overview trip to the Grand Canyon in one day. Several tour operators do it several times a week all year round. It will be a long day, but it will at least allow you to see the Canyon. Utah is too far to go for a day.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:44 AM
steve

For a trip, I recommend going up thru Superior to Globe and Roosevelt Dam and then back along the Apache Trail which goes by the chain of lakes that supply Phoenix with water.