San Francisco Off the Beaten Track

Jan 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

San Francisco Off the Beaten Track

Our family (parents plus two almost grown daughters) has three days in San Francisco. We need ideas beyond Chinatown and shopping. Also, unique restaurant ideas (are Tadich Grill, Tonga Room too touristy???)
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Tadich is old SF. Grump waiters, probably not able to make reservations. Food is good, but old style cuisin. I do not consider it touristy.

The Tonga Room is touristy but fun, so why not go and enjoy!!

Have a fun trip!
Jan 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Go for a walk along the Embarcadero and see the big, bustling food market and Fisherman's Wharf. Have a dim sum lunch at Yank Sing or Gold Mountain. Visit the Museum of Modern Art, near the Moscone convention center. Have a drink (and cokes) at the Top of the Mark, right across from the Fairmont and the Tonga Room--which I agree is fun. If you like fine art, go out to the Museum of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park for a few hours. Take the cable car to Ghirardelli Square. You'll find plenty to do, and I hope you all have a wonderful time.
Jan 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM

visit the cable car museum. Free, takes only 10-15 minutes to see. Unique in the world
Jan 8th, 2005, 04:23 PM

My fav restaurant in the city is Cha Cha Cha (in the Haight for atmosphere, but south of Market for quiet, cozy atmosphere--there are two locations.) Everytime I've been there, the food is great! (If you like tapas)

Jan 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Check out some restaurants: Luna Park,
Delfina,the Blue Plate all in the mission area. I agree with Dim Sum at Yank Sing or Ton Kiang out on Geary.
Walk around North Beach and have a meatball sanwich at Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store. Check out Moma and have lunch at Lulu(family style)
May 26th, 2005, 09:20 AM

ttt
May 26th, 2005, 11:49 AM

How about going to Coit Tower for the views and murals inside and then taking a walk down the Filbert Street steps?
May 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Here's another vote for Cha Cha Cha. We found street parking, but there is a lot nearby. The bar/lounge is decorated straight out of 1965, but the restaurant side does feel newer.

The food was reallllllllly good!
Jul 12th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Don't just look at the Golden Gate Bridge from a distance- experience it! Either walk over it, or rent bikes and RIDE. It's exhilarating!

Search this Thread