Rec's for weekend alone in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in SF on business, staying in Union Square. In my free time, I plan on just walking around--definitely hitting the farmers market Sat morning. Any restaurant suggestions within walking distance, for breakfast/lunch/dinner solo and with a book? Also, I've never taken a cable car, but would like to. Any suggestions where to catch one and where to go? A short trip would be good. Thanks loads.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM

You can get the cable car right by Union Sq. It loads at Market St.and goes to Fisherman's wharf. I don't know when you will be in SF but there is a new museum opening Sept. 29 (?) in Golden Gate Park that is also the new aquarium, and lots of other museum attractions rolled into one. Across the square from it is the De Young modern/contemporary art museum. It has a nice cafe with out door seating, and is also next to the Japanese gardens. The Botanical garden is across the street from all of the above. I have not been to the new Asian art museum near Civic center, but its supposed to be great. MOMA just on the other side of Market street, walking distance from Union Sq. is also wonderful with a nice restaurant. You can walk to China town too from where you are. Lots to do and see when you are based in Union Sq.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
TC

I'm just back from a little trip to San Francisco. DH had meetings, but we managed to slip in a little extra fun along the way. You could also do this as a single. We took the ferry across to Sausalito first thing when we arrived and had a little walk around. The street entertainers were unbelievable. (see: http://www.rock-on-rock-on.com/) We stayed for a delicious casual dinner sitting in an open air restaurant, sipping wine and snacking on wood fired pizza of figs and cheese while chatting with other guests at Poggio.
http://www.poggiotrattoria.com/tour.php

The ferry ride was so beautiful going across the bay. On the return we watched the sunset and hordes of pelicans flying into Alcatraz Island - I assume to roost for the night. We took the cable car back to our hotel (The Triton near Union Square) from Fisherman's Wharf -- such a beautiful view.

On Sunday we made our way across town via bus to Golden Gate park and the deYoung Museum for the Dale Chihuly glass exhibition. If you've never seen Chihuly's glass work, it is something amazing to behold.
Video clip:
http://www.chihuly.com/Video/deyoung.html
We spent most of the day at the museum and in the park. The smells in the park were so magnificent -- all eucalyptus and bay leaves. After a little rest, we walked from our hotel through Chinatown to North Beach for dinner at a little Italian restaurant that we like - Mona Lisa. San Francisco is such an great city -- an amazing street performer was singing opera on the sidewalk throughout our dinner. He was really good.

The restaurant right next door to The Triton Hotel (Cafe' De la Presse) is a wonderful French bistro with tables out front. The breakfast there was yummy. Great people watching while we worked our crossword too.
http://www.cafedelapresse.com/cdlp/aboutus.htm

Enjoy!

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM

I love the market in the ferry building! You might also want to take the boat over to Alcatraz. I've just done the day trips but have heard a lot of positive things about the late afternoon trips. On the weekend, you might want to buy the tickets in advance.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Hi TC, a question. I and many others including friends that have visited SF have always enjoyed the Mona Lisa. Reading some reviews on another website it seems that the Mona Lisa had a lot of negative comments this past year. It has been probably a year since I have eaten there as I have eaten in other restuarants when in SF. But from your comment it sounds like the Mona Lisa is still a recommended restaurant I gather. Thanks.

SadieM, also..go to the search box here and type in Stu Dudley. He has threads with a wealth of information that I think you would enjoy reading. In my opinion your staying in the Union Square area is "perfect" as will have access to public transportation and yes it is easy and fun to walk to various places. Regarding the cable car, if possible wait until or 10:30am or so. Rather than trying to get on it at Powell and Market (which generally have long lines) see if you can catch it a few blocks up Powell..almost certain it is Powell and Sutter. Look for the sign. Otherwise you can try the cable car line at the end of California St., at the Embarcadero. Have fun!

Oh, almost forgot. You might enjoy having a drink or even dinner at Scala's Bistro on Powell (just one half block up from Union Square) attached to the Sir Francis Drake Hotel. They have a bar/counter there which is nice when one is on their own. And again at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel..just steps up from Scala's on the corner of Powell and Stockton is a nice cafe..I never remember the name of it..but a good place for "casual" when on your own. They have some outside tables also.

And at the east end of Union Sqaure it the Italian cafe, sigh, can't remember their name at the moment but you cannot miss it. You can have coffee, wine, Italian sodas, pastries, sandwiches etc. They have indoor tables but they also have lots of outdoor tables on their large patio. A great place to relax especially if you like to "people watch". It is fun to sit there and watch all the various people walking through Union Square. SF residents, tourists from all over the world etc. Good food and reasonable prices and so relaxing.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
TC

Hi LovesItaly, I can't say if the Mona Lisa is better or worse than years past. Haven't read any reviews lately. We found it many years ago and just enjoy the walk there through Chinatown and the neighborhood ambiance of the place. I would say its not the very best Italian food in SFO, but its a great little inexpensive place that feels comfortable to us. I often recommend it to friends who are staying in the area.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Kal

Dinner...Perbaccos...
short ..walk towards the Bay.

Sit at the counter. A lot of friendly people to talk to if your book gets boring as you pound down a great salumi and cheese plate....or two.

Fino is a very decent Italian place. In the Andrews Hotel a few blocks west of UnSq.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM

LoveItaly- I always have brunch at Scala's Bistro when I'm in town. Their corned beef hash is great and the ambiance is very nice as well.

Sadie- you could also check out the Fog City Diner and sit at their bar and have a meal. Their food is terrific; I like the red curry mussel stew.... a staple item there.

Take the cable car on a weekday; weekends are tough to get on. Ride from Union Square to Fisherman's wharf. Go to Ghirardellis there for a hot fudge sundae.

Stroll around Chinatown.

Rent a bike and ride around the Golden Gate Park.

Stroll the Marina district.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Hi ncounty, yes, I love the corn beef hash at Scala's also! It is a fun place to pop into for a mid afternoon drink too.

Thanks for responding TC, it sounds like the Mona Lisa is the same as it always was. The owner is from the Naples area, quite a character. Cute Italian waiters!

Kal, the chef/owner, Steffan Terge, of Pebarcco was the chef at Scala's for ages. He is a fantastic chef. Going back many years ago before the location became Scala's Bistro it was a sort of shabby coffee shop, worn brown linoleum floor, wobbly tables etc. One could get a fantastic cup of espresso for 50 cents and sit and relax at a table by the window and watch all the activity on Powell Street.

Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM

Author: Kal
Date: 07/17/2008, 11:19 pm
Fino is a very decent Italian place. In the Andrews Hotel a few blocks west of UnSq.

- and has the best Tiramisu in San Francisco
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:47 AM
dmlove

Going back many years ago before the location became Scala's Bistro it was a sort of shabby coffee shop, worn brown linoleum floor, wobbly tables etc

Our very first babysitter was a waitress there!

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Kal

LI..his sugo is TUTTO BENE!!!

F2...I'm too stuffed at Finos for dessert.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:25 PM

For eating alone and for simple, casual meals you might take a look at the array of eateries in the Westfield Mall on Market which is just a couple of blocks from your hotel. There is a huge selection of cuisines available and also some great take-out food if you want to dine in your room.

We stayed at the Nikko last fall and I had the flu so didn't want to go into the trendy restaurants and spend a fortune. I was impressed with what the Westfield had to offer. I have never seen anything like it in other malls. But, then I don't go to Malls much.

Check out this article about them:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...VG38LA9LJ1.DTL
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM

Hi dmlove, that is interesting. It was a run down cafe but such a great place to kick back and relax. I hope all is well in your life and hope to see you again.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM

Too stuffed? Hmmm....
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:04 AM

If you've never been on a cable car, it's a must-do IMHO. Last time we were there, we rode it round-trip. Just stay on when it turns around and ride all the way back. I forget what we had to pay to do it, but it is well worth it.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM

$5 each way unless you have a MUNI pass
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Kal

FAINA!!!
Get your mind out of my gutter!
Their sausage and peppers are very good.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

I like the Tadich Grill for the cioppino. Should be easy walking distance for you. 240 California

If you like seafood try the Swan Oyster Depot for lunch. 1517 Polk If I remember correctly, you can get there on the cable car and a short walk.