san francisco 2+ days only

Jul 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

san francisco 2+ days only

Hi all,

Will be traveling from Reno to SF on 8/12 - leaving very late back to NY Mon 8/14.

Looking for recommendations on 'must-sees' in town in such a limited time. We're art lovers so will definitely check out a museum for a few hours, but open to suggestions on other sights to provide best SF experience.

For night-time activities, we have eclectic food tastes - and love jazz music - so would appreciate ideas in the mid-range price as well.

Thanks in advance
Jul 11th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Dear Luvs,

Responding to the museum and art-lovers portion of your message:

Providing you are not planning to do this on a Monday, get a museum pass and check out (at least) the new De Young in Golden Gate Park. Then head west to the Legion of Honor, which is in a spectacular setting with a full view of the Golden Gate Bridge and headlands. There is currently a Monet exhibit with at the Legion.

Let us know which area of town you are staying in - you will get replies directing you to restaurants and the other facets of your request.
Jul 11th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Whoops -

"There is currently a Monet exhibit with many major paintings at the Legion".
Jul 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM

A couple days in San Francisco can give you a nice taste of the city, I often visit only for a long weekend.

The cable car ride from the beginning turn-around down thru Chinatown to Fisherman's Wharf is thrilling and something I always try to fit in.

For a row of nice places for dinner Google "Belden Place". It's an alleyway in the financial district with a number of interesting restaurants.
Jul 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Dovima - Thanks for museum info. Will be staying at the Adante Hotel (Geary St near Union Sq.)

Suze - Cable car ride sounds perfect. Will definitely check the restaurant info you referenced. Thanks!
Jul 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM
trippinkpj

Here's a link to art galleries in the city, and many look close by to your hotel:
http://www.sanfrancisco.com/arts/index.shtml
I stayed near the Hotel Adante at the Hotel Adiago. It's a convienent location.

Jul 13th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Just a little addendum: The Weintstein Galleries (big-name S.F. art dealer) took over a property at the corner of Geary and Powell that used to be a multi-level women's clothing store - I think it was Casual Corner or Dress Barn. Anyway, the space lent itself very well to exhibiting fine art - the equal of many museums, in my opinion. You should check it out since Geary and Powell is so close to your hotel location. The last time I stopped in, they had an astonishing array of works by Leonore Fini, the great Surrealist painter, as well as works by other female Surrealists.

Food - Cortez at the Hotel Adagio gets good reviews for its small-plate format and its cool atmosphere. I had a beef short-rib dish here done in a nouveau-Korean way that was outstanding.

Like seafood? - Take a short uphill walk up Powell, turn right on Sutter, and look out for a sign announcing the Tunnel Top Bar. Right next to Tunnel Top is Bar Crudo, the teensiest restaurant I've been to in ages. That's crudo as in ceviche and sashimi - there's only a few cooked items on the menu, including a sublime cream-based chowder. Try it - sit at the counter if you are walk-ins, or reserve a table in the tiny loft area. Oh, and the beer list is expansive - includes Belgian brews I've never seen mentioned outside the Low Countries.