San Diego to Tijuana US Mex Border

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI anyone is thinking of crossing US/Mexican border at San Diego/Tijuana: the San Diego news last night announced the Mexican authorities have found 41 mutilated bodies THIS WEEK alone: several dumped in a school yard

While it is being related to Mexican drug cartels..tourists should be aware Tijuana is not safe.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 05:17 PM

How many reliable reports have you read of tourists who have disappeared in the Tijuana area?
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Sadly Michael I have first hand knowledge of many people who are missing, injured and incarcerated.

Last week an American employee speaks Spanish/ English was held up at gunpoint for the co truck, shoot 6 times ( 1 of the bullets injured his spinal cord) and left for dead.

He is now a Quad...my job was to find him via Law enforcement & negotiate getting him medivaced safely to San Diego.

I don;t think it is safe.. nor do I think the # of deaths last week are a conspiracy theroy..but pls Michael feel free to go and try it yourself..
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good advice, 1JAR.
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It always amazes me that folks want to visit Tijuana - armpit of the world IMO . . . .

(other parts of Mexico are great - but TJ - total scuzz)
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM

We used to go to Tijuana a lot but I would never go there now - it isn't safe.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM

53 intergangs killings happened lst week in TJ.
it's a great place if you love the wild, wild west.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
P_M

My ex and I used to do a lot of traveling around Mexico, as we lived in TX. (I still do) When the ex was on a business trip to San Diego he took a day trip to Tiajuana just to buy a few odds and ends. He only ventured a few blocks into Tiajuana, bought his things, and headed back toward the border. When he was just 2 blocks from the border he was brutally attacked by 4 men. They jumped him, robbed him, and stabbed him a few times. When help came he asked to be taken to a US hospital so they rushed him across the border and took him to the nearest hospital. He survived this attack but needless to say, he will never venture into Tiajuana again.

All that said I still believe many parts of Mexico are perfectly safe, but I wouldn't chance it on Tiajuana. In fact I avoid border towns across from TX, as crime is on the increase there as well.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
lvk

I read in the L.A. papers that even the Mayors of TJ and Rosarito are asking tourists to stay away until they get these problems under control.

We used to drive down to Baja Mar a few times a year. The northern Baja peninsula has gone downhill very rapidly.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 05:52 PM

It's really a shame to hear. When I lived in SoCal I used to go down to TJ for the day to shop & drink. It used to be a lot fun (in a funky way).
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 01:17 AM

My son goes to high school in San Diego with many students from TJ including the former mayor's son. Many of them are living on this side while their family continues to live in TJ because they tell my son it is not safe anymore in TJ. Like others have mentioned, this is not the time to venture to TJ.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SiteC_er,

I used to go to Puerto Nuevo with friends often for lobster and margaritas, and couple of other nearby locations that we liked a lot. I haven't been for years and I don't know anyone who still goes. It really is a shame, but it isn't safe.

P_M,

I didn't know that has happened to someone you know-very well! I'm so sorry. What a terrible experience.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM

I wouldn't go down there. I'm surrounded by lots of people, from Mexico, every day at work, who used to zip down there, from L.A. to shop and for medical services. Well, they're not going down there like they used to. It's pretty much stay out of TJ unless you absolutely have to go. The situation is very real. Happy Travels!