Reload this Page >

San Diego or Tiajuana?

Search

San Diego or Tiajuana?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Donna

San Diego or Tiajuana?

Im visiting Coronado Island for a Wedding mid August. I am wondering if a trip to Tiajuana is a good idea?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:18 PM
Rich

Tijuana, or at least the tourist part, is pretty trashy. Junky souvenir shops, people charging you to take a photo of their burro, etc. That said, it's probably one of those things that everybody ought to do once. If you've got plenty of time, it's probably worth a couple of hours to zip down there just so you can say you've been. If you're on a tight schedule, I'd probably give it a miss.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 06:59 PM
Jen

I agree with Rich. If you have never been, do it. The only fun things about Tijuana are the bad memories.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 07:28 PM
Sandy

With so many great places to visit in San Diego, I wouldn't waste my time visiting Tijuana. It is NOT like being in Mexico. It is a border town, very poor, full of 18 year olds who go to get drunk. Almost everyone I know who has gone has been disappointed. JMHO.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:05 PM
joe

Going from Coronado to Tijuana would be like going from a palace to a garbage dump. Only the garbage dump would be nicer.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:06 PM
Julie

Agree with all of the above!

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:24 PM
jesse

Just got back from both and I regret going to TJ. Waited almost 2 hrs to get back to the USA, what a waste of time and $$$.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Pat

My brother lives in San Diego. When I visited I asked him to take me to Tijuana since I'd never been to Mexico. He said that I wouldn't like it but I insisted. He was right.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:18 AM
That's a first

Certainly the first time I have seen such a group effort and all on the same side. Well done. And Donna, I wholeheartedly concur with the above, but for heaven's sake do enjoy that wedding!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Lori

Donna in spite of the overwhelming, but true comments pertaining to Tijuana you will love Coronado. I don't know how much time you have in S.D. but a trip by ferry boat to Seaport Village would be a nice day trip. Of course the Zoo, or the Gaslight district in downtown, a visit to old town for some great mexican food. Those would be some suggestions, versus visiting T.J. if you are looking for some other acitivites in what time you have in San Diego. Enjoy!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:21 AM
x

tj is not a place i'd return to and since 9/11, be prepared for LONG waits at the border.
if you are with someone who owns a vehicle, ask them to take you south of tj to purto neuavo (sp?) for dinner. nice drive, you'll go through tj and fun village for dinner.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:15 PM
anony

Yes, total waste of time! The only reason I went last year was to "mark another country" on my list of ones I've been to (since it will be a while until I'm back that way). Totally wish I would have saved my memory of Mexico to be from someplace else. Stay in San Diego. Much more enjoyable things to do there!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Elfie

Yep, gotta chime in and agree, Tiajuana is really depressing and not worth a visit. If you really want to go to Mexico, I recommend Ensenada. It's a much longer drive, I think it's about 2-1/2 hours down the Baja peninsula, but it's a really pretty drive and the town is much, much nicer than TJ. You'll love Coronada, it's just a gorgeous little place, it's picture-perfect. Is the wedding at that huge old hotel??

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:37 PM
kam

Must chime in here and say TJ is horrid---worse than you could expect. If you ever want to go to Mexico there are lovely places but TJ is a joke---even our Mexican friends wouldn't go near it.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:39 PM
alicat

I have to agree with everyone above- I too wanted to add another country to my list, and as well had ideas of a nice mexican town with margaritas and mexican dinner. The reality was quite different- gross guys trying to grab my butt, guys trying to get us to come upstairs to see "naked girls", dozens of storeowners trying to get us to come in and spend money, kids running around trying to get us to give them money, etc. It was depressing, and I do feel for the people who live in this poor town. It does not look like a fun life. However, it is an experience that opened my eyes a bit, and made me all the more thank-ful to be back in america when it was through. Just a note- we took the tram down and walked accross the border; if it wasn't for the aid of an honest man who saw we had no clue where to go or what to do, we never even would have made it to the downtown area- he pointed out a cab, told us where to go, and what to pay; otherwise we would have been ripped off.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 02:16 PM
fff

Every time I go to Coronado, I go to TJ and not San Diego. It is a fun adventure and is always fascinating. Ride the Trolley from the Iris street stop (you can catch a bus from Coronado to the Iris station). You get off at the border and walk across. You are in a different world on the other side. You can walk all the way through a tourist area over to Revolution street, the main drag. There may be a seedy side, but if you dont dwell on that, you can have a great time.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:23 PM
xx

It's TIJUANA not TIA-JUANA!