Mexico day trip from San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a business trip to San Diego in early February, and I'll have a free Sunday. Are there worthwhile day trips to Mexico? Or other areas?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM
ssm

If you have never been, I guess it is something to say that you did. IMO, I do not consider Tijuana a true Mexican destination. What you will find is a lot of bars and a lot of shops. For me, it was a fun place to go while in college.

With that said, the ride is relatively easy. You can take the trolley literally right to the border and walk across. There are taxis waiting. Simply ask them how much to take you to Ave. Revoluccion (sp?). Should not be more than $5.

A word of caution, I would not recommend that you go alone if you plan on staying into the evening. Mind you, it is not a horrible area but muggings do happen. Just be safe.

Personally, I would spend a free Sunday in Coronado. Have a leisurely brunch at the Hotel Del and spend the rest of the day walking around (weather permitting of course).

God, I'm geting old. I cannot believe I just admitted that

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:48 AM

The following options are more appealing than a day-trip to Mexico:
(1) San Diego Zoo (Best in the US)
(2) La Jolla (very scenic)
(3) Rollerblading or Biking along the beach
(4) Drive up Hwy 1
(5) Walk around the Coronado Hotel
(6) Go sailing

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A Sunday in Tijuana - OR - a Sunday in San Diego??

No contest. Do something in San Diego.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM

I agree witht the other replies - stay in San Diego area. Coronado is great, and La Jolla is so worth a day trip! Hubby and I went to Tijuana on the trolley a few years ago, and regretted it. Lots of cheap restaurants offering lots of tequilla shots. But in terms of shops, there were very few of any quality. Waste of time, and I really can't say it was worth doing once.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, but I'm way too old to want to spend a day in Tiajuana. I was wondering if there were other Mexican day trips from San Diego? I know that San Diego itself is nice, and at a minimum I'm expecting much better weather than here in D.C.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Tijuana is about bars. Rosarito and Ensenada are about bars and beach. Puerto Nuevo is about lobster and beer served at family-style restaurants.

Problem is you can't take a rental car across the border to drive the 30-45 minutes to Ensenda, Rosarito or P.N.

Feb is whale watching season; you could perhaps find a tour.

Michele
(San Diegan)

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Glad you are not considering a daytrip to Tijuana worthwhile - we did, and waht a waste of time. We drove to border, walked across border, and got to view t-shirt shops, lots of poverty, trinket sellers, bars, liquor stores, pharmacies, bars, liquor stores, pharmacies .... Then we got to stand in line for over an hour to get back into US - and that was the fast lane for those with passports.

However, we did see many buses going across border with US plates - wonder if any of these are day bus trips from San Diego to more desirable areas.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I enjoy Rosarito and I don't hang out in the bars. I do drive my own car, though. Puerto Nuevo is cute and the lobster is good and cheap. Maybe there are bus tours that go there as suggested. However, if you haven't spent much time in San Diego, I would take the advice of others and stay there. A Sunday stroll around La Jolla and a nice dinner at sunset can't be beat.