San Diego: Hyatt, Marriot....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to SD in December for a weekend with my BF and need some hotel recs. Torrey Pines is lovely but we want to be closer to downtown. I know the Marriot has great views and the Hyatt has a nice bar on top.

I have also heard that the Embassy Suites has renovated and is nice?

We do not really want a teeny bed and breakfast on this trip. Am I missing some nice boutique hotels? I would consider giving up the view for something special.

Price is flexible - up to $350/night. Plan is to sleep in, maybe go to the zoo as I have never been. Then dinner, maybe a play, some music, a little romance....Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Tess

Sounds like a great trip. The Marriott/Hyatt location is perfect for your needs. FYI--I've eaten at Dakota (not far from those hotels) and it was a wonderful evening.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM
dcespedes

Hi there--I've stayed at the Hyatt which is very nice, I would stay there again; my husband has stayed at both and prefers the Marriot for their room balconies.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM

You might want to consider the Hilton Gaslamp. Its close to both the Hyatt and Marriott and located near all the downtown action in the Gaslamp. For views, make sure you get a room on one of the executive floors. The hotel consistently gets great reviews on tripadvisor.com.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM
GoTravel

I stayed at the Manchester Hyatt in March and it was the nicest Hyatt I've ever stayed in. Our room was a corner room on an upper floor and the views over the harbor, Mission Bay, and the Pacific were unreal. The location is excellent for the Gaslamp District, Horton Plaza (the coolest mall ever), and the convention center. Beautiful parks and a shopping dining complex waterfront in front of the hotel but it does not obstruct views.

Archtectually, the Marriott is a stunner. If you can, go to Marriotts website and look at the hotel. The Marriott is almonst right next door to the Hyatt.

Either one, the Manchester Hyatt or the Marriott is a winner. I would gladly stay in either.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:57 PM

You might consider Priceline for your hotel room. We got the Hyatt last year on the weekend for $70 a night.

We have also stayed at the Marriott Marina. Very nice hotel, great service. The north tower has balconies, not the south. The rooms are very comfy. We were just there for four days and had a lovely stay.

But you might consider Priceline if you aren't terribly picky, the four star only. You could save a lot of bucks for Christmas shopping.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Stayed at the Marriott in October; had a room with balcony in the north tower. Staff was extremely helpful. Great location IMO and great views of the bay and ocean beyond..right next door to the Hyatt and adjacent to Seaport Village.

Read my review on TripAdvisor...all those complaints about "railroad noise" are bogus IMO.

Enjoy San Diego!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:55 AM

I stayed at the Marriott last April for a small convention. I didn't think that I was going to like it because I don't like great big hotels often associated with convention sites. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Because I am Platinum, Marriott put me in a concierge room which was great. The balcony views of the harbor area are to die for and I wished I had my binoculars to watch all of the navy ships leaving for the middle east. The concierge lounge is one of the best that I have encountered with all day service and very friendly staff, great views from this lounge as well...
The pool is nice and has a nice whirlpool as well. My co-workers and I enjoyed all of the restaurants on the waterfront that are easy to walk to as well. We also easily walked to the Gaslamp district and had some meals there.On the Sunday that I was there, there was a full dress Marine band playing right in the little park that abuts the water...I forgot the name of it, but it was great free entertainment. Most of all, I enjoyed being around all of the boats at the marina...it's very pretty.
I would go back to this property in a minute!!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so muc. I am going to check pricing. I am always afraid of using priceline b/c of the chance of getting something terrible. May be I should just jump in!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TopMan, railroad noise? I can't think of any railroad that goes past the Marriott. the only thing would be the trolley, but I can't see that it would be a noise nuisance.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Actually Barbara, the Burlington Northern Sante Fe tracks run parallel to the trolley tracks and freight trains go through all the time. Because of ICC regulations, they blow their air horn at each intersection which is where most of the noise complaints come from.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Alisa,

use www.biddingfortravel.com to check out hotel reviews and to get an idea of what hotels you are bidding for on Priceline.

I've never gotten something terrible and have always been pleased with the hotels.

Good luck!
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NotMe, Thanks. Now that you mention it, I do remember driving over rail tracks. I can see how that could be annoying.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 01:25 PM

I've stayed at the Marriott twice and never heard train noise, so I agree that shouldn't be a problem. Try to get a marina/bay view because it's worth it. It's a very busy convention hotel so you may be among a lot of business travelers but that means you may enjoy the great pool and hot tub without a lot of other people around. I love their breakfast buffet at the hotel with fresh yogurt and granola bar, oatmeal with sauce, eggs, salsa, breads and muffins...

Hyatt and Marriott have an awesome location, and although I am sure there are good hotels in the Gaslamp I still loved walking along Seaport Village from the hotel. The trolley bus tour picks up and drops off right in front of the Marriott and will take you to Coronado, Balboa Park, Zoo, Museums and Old town. Marriott is usually pricy though becuase they almost always have something going on.
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Don't use Priceline unless you don't mind staying at the Airport Sheraton instead of Downtown. It's in the same region. Ask me how I know this! We of course got the Sheraton, and all it's bad reviews... We were so bummed. Then we got there and got upgraded to the top floor with a killer view of the bay and all of downtown San Diego. For $80 we were in Priceline heaven! Sometimes it just works out.

Steve
Maryland
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Both the Marriott and the Hyatt are excellent hotels. I just stayed at the new Omni Hotel next to Petco Park and it was outstanding. The rooms are very nicely decorated and the views area also fabulous. The staff was very welcoming and informative. I would definitely stay there again.