San Diego: Marriott Marina vs. Hyatt

May 27th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Singletail

San Diego: Marriott Marina vs. Hyatt

Will be in San Diego (pre-cruise) in mid-October and trying to choose between these two hotels. They are both in the location where I prefer to stay.
I've read the reviews on TripAdvisor about both properties.
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, both positive and negative, about one being any better than the other and the reason(s) for such.

Thanks very much in advance

May 27th, 2004, 03:11 AM

We stayed in the Coronado Marriott last May. The location and restaurant were the best. Away from the madding crowds, yet in beautiful Coronado. the rooms are a bit dated but very nice and clean. The pool area was great and the flamingoes right at the entrance were a real treat. the Marina and Hyatt are more in the city and both look very nice.
May 27th, 2004, 04:35 AM

I think that both would be excellent choices. I've stayed a the Marriott Marina twice and the rooms were very nice, location is great. The Hyatt looked a bit more upscale but I didn't notice a huge difference between the two properties. If I was booking, I'd goo with the one that offered the better rate.
May 27th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Singletail

Thanks for the responses thus far, I really appreciate the information about the Coronado Marriott as well.

Thus far, I've gotten a much better rate offer from the Marriott (and with a water view to boot) and am inclined toward that property.

Again, thanks for the information.

May 27th, 2004, 05:35 AM
GoTravel

I stayed at the Manchester Hyatt in March and cannot say enough nice things about the hotel.

The Marriott, a few doors down, is architectually stunning.

May 27th, 2004, 05:42 AM

We spent last Sunday and Monday night @ Shelter Pointe Hot and Marina - on Shelter Island - great location and good price. The U S Grant was very noisy on Sat PM.
Coronado should be wonderful.
If $$ are not a concern, the Hotel del Coronado (Victorian ocean view) and the La Valencia in LaJolla are world class.
M
PS SAN is way more tourist oriented than I remember from the 70's, 80's and early 90's and the prices reflect it.
May 27th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Singletail

Once again, thanks for all the replies. If I were staying for more than one night I would undoubtedly consider being over on Coronado.

I'm beginning to think that the two hotels in question probably aren't all that different and it might end up being a matter of personal taste, etc.

Yes, I know San Diego is more on the map tourist-wise than ever.
You should have seen Broadway in the 60's when I lived there and about the only way to get to Coronado was on the ferry...a great city then and even greater now. I just wish I were going to be there longer.