San Diego hotel

Jan 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

San Diego hotel

We are going to San Diego in July for a week vacation. We have a 5 years old boy and we know for sure we will go to Legoland, San Diego Zoo, Seaworld, La Jolla Cove, Birch Aquarium at Scripps. In addition, we would like to go sight seeing and shopping.

We are going to rent a car but don't know which part of San Diego should we book for a hotel, which is convenient to all the above mentioned attractions. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can recommend a hotel.

Is the Go San Diego Cards recommended?

Thanks in advance.
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
TahitiTams

I think La Jolla in July at the beach would be a perfect fit and the Hotel La Jolla is pretty reasonable for the summer $200+ but ask for a higher floor..
Also, the LJ Shores Hotel is oceanfront and kid friendly and the water is perfect to swim, snorkel and boogie board..
I don't knokw what your budget is but things will be much more because of the summer season.
I don't know anything about the Go SD cards..
July is very busy so if you know where you want to be, I would book somewhat soon..

hotellajolla.com
ljshoreshotel.com
sandiego.org

Jan 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM

There's an area in San Diego called Hotel Circle--mostly budget chain hotels. The location is between I-8, I-5 and Highway 163. The Fashion Valley mall is closeby, SeaWorld, Downtown, Balboa Park, and San Diego Zoo are within a few minutes.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:04 AM

Consider Point Loma: specifically Shelter Island.
Hotels and marinas in a park like setting with views of Bay, City, Ocean, walking paths, grassy picnic areas and a playground on the Bay.

Very close to all the activities you mentioned as well as the airport.

Shelter Pointe Hotel and MArina is also known as Kona Kai resort

www.resortkonakai.com

They have suites and are offering room rates of 139.00

Suggest a room at the ocean most point of the property with a Bay/Ocean view.
Here are a couple of restaurants: Red Sails Inn for breakfast, lunch & dinner and if you want family style hamburgers Bol Weveil that alot a people like. Old Venice nice Italian with paper on tables and crayons, Miquels Cocina mexican. Point Loma Seafood for the best fish & chips, sushi and if you watch you will see a harbor seal who lives in the fishing harbor.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
ltt

it would really help us to give better information if you gave us more information - is a hotel for you just a place to sleep (two beds in one room), do you want a motel or a high end hotel with room service etc? what price? is a pool important? do you want to be able to walk to restaurants or willing to drive everywhere?
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi ltt,

I would have to say the hotel would be just a place to sleep. We don't need high end hotel. 2 to 3 1/2 stars is fine with us. We may consider a four stars. My son loves swimming. So, the pool would be a nice to have. We prefer to be close by to restaurants, walking distance preferred. But if we have to drive to get food, we will drive.

Thanks again.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM

We went to San Diego last summer and had a great stay in a beachside condo at Capri By The Sea. It is located on Pacific Beach and within walking distance of several restaurants. After a busy day of touring around, it was a great place to unwind and my two boys loved playing on the beach each evening. Several nights we got takeout and had a picnic. If you compare the rates, it might not cost any more than a hotel and you get much more convenience of having one bedroom and a full kitchen.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
TahitiTams

Hi Cica..
Just remember that you are going in the height of summer in SD and even a 2-3.5* is going to be more than $100 a night..maybe you can get a weekly rate.
All other posters gave you great advice on hotels and if you think you do LJ, then try the LJ Village Lodge in downtown LJ..simple and clean and within budget.
walk to everything.

lajollavillagelodge.com