San Diego- W Hotel/ Hard Rock/ ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Trying a repost with a new header. Looking for a hotel for my 13 y/o daughter and I to make home base next week in San Diego. The reviews of the Hard Rock are sounding like the property is too much of a party scene for a 13 y/o; scanky dressed drunks, broken beer bottles by the pool... and the W sounds like it doesn't live up to the trendy hi end hot spots in other cities. I'd rather not spend the money and not feel comfortable at night. Soooo I'm renting a car I'm good in or outside the city and I'm really just looking for a WOW fun factor. Not boutique and not elegant. Thanks everyone!!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM

What activities are you interesting in doing? If you want to be centrally located, I suggest Mission Bay Hilton off interstate 5. It is 5 Minutes from Sea world --- 10 minutes away from La Jolla Cove and Downtown San Diego --- 15 minutes from the Zoo. Another place you may want to consider is Embassy Suites near Seaport Village between Downtown San Diego and San Diego Intl. Airport. Good Luck and have fun!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Wanted to respond here about the hotel in case anyone else was searching... Hotel was amazing if you are looking for a hot local bar scene. Kind of place I'd go with my girlfriends, or my young co workers while attending a conference. Right across from the conference center, in front of Petco and basically on "restaurant" row. I was there with my 13y/o who thought it was "brillant"...and it would have been less some of the very tippsy crowd in the lobby. I found a rate on expedia and then called the hotel who matched it. I also opted to park at the public lot literally right next door to the hotel and paid $8 vs the $30 at the hotel, totally by accident since the valet line was a good 20 mins. If your looking for quiet believe it or not I say stick near the elevator as the end rooms and suites are where all the "partying" goes on, and for sure ask for a high floor. The 4th floor pool was closed the whole time we where there, so check on that too if its a priority for you. And bring waters... as much as I love Voss I want to think it was stupid expensive along with everything else thats laid out for you to drool over. My only other issue, and its completely just a "me" thing and could have just been the configuration of our room... the air blew directly on the bed so I had to rigg a cover to keep from waking up with a stiff neck. In all I give the hotel a solid B.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM

vabrone - what hotel?
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Sounds like the W in San Diego... it has a pool on the 4th floor and sells Voss in the rooms (though I don't remember it being right across from Petco).

I've stayed there before... it's nice, albeit VERY scene-y. Last time, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Sofia a block or two away and really liked it. Much cheaper and less of a scene, but still has a lot of style. Plus it's closer to restaurant row than the W.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:10 PM

From some of her other posts i thought she ended up at the Hard Rock and that fits the location she is describing.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM

I think she meant the Hard Rock based on the location.

The Sofia is a nice property as well.

Another option is the Hotel Solamar; also in the Gaslamp, great location and gorgeous cool without the partying crowd factor.

I've heard good things about the Ivy as well. You could check out their website.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

My mistake. Yes it was the Hard Rock Hotel. I went into Solamar just for future reference and its a much better choice to relax. The rooms were a little small, but we were in a spa suite at Hard Rock the standard rooms might be the same size.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM

The Omni. Stay as close to the top as possible. Great pool, close to Gas Lamp and view of Petco Park, Coronado Bridge and the bay. Unless, she would prefer the "beach" scene, instead of downtown. In that case perhaps , or the budget friendly Del Mar Motel right on the sand or the more Lux L'auberge in Del Mar. Oh wait are you already here? I just noticed the date of your post...mmmm. Then welcome to San Diego.