true suite hotel in San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us will be attending a family wedding end of July. We're thinking of sharing accommodations (we're a couple and a single), but only if we can find someplace where there's good space and separation. I.e. don't want a roll-away or anything like that; want better privacy and comfort. Perhaps even 2 bathrooms? Would much appreciate suggestions for very pleasant and quiet place that might be spacious enough not to feel crowded. Thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Typically 2 separate rooms will be cheaper than a suite with 2 BRs and 2 baths. If you don;t want a kitchen you can check suite descriptions and prices at any of the major hotels.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Check out the Residence Inns in the San Diego Area. They specialize in suites which may satisfy your needs.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM

We stayed at a Homewood Suites there. Nice place, but awkward location (like many hotels in San Diego).
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM

happytrailstoyou, Interesting comment. I don't stay at hotels here but do you mean that any where one would stay in San Diego there is a long drive away from the hotel? For instance, at Homewood, close to the airport but to get to an attraction then one will have to travel the length of Rosecrans or Harbor Drive.

Mission Valley seems handy for tourists but many people on Fodors seem to think this is a less than desirable place to stay. They'd rather stay downtown, which I find a little baffling since it's high parking and difficult traffic.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:35 AM

We stayed at the Homewood Suites, Liberty Station - and loved it. I think it would be ideal for you. San Diego is so spread out that nowhere is close to everywhere.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:15 AM

LSky, You have summarized my experiences in several visits to San Diego, and I have never been tempted to stay downtown for reasons you state.

My best memories of my visits to San Diego are when I stayed at Best Western Hacienda in Old Town (we got in on a "Manager's Special" and I liked the neighborhood) and when we stayed in La Jolla (which has a sense of "place" that seems to be missing at many San Diego hotel locations).

HTTY
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM

La Jolla is nice but then again, leaving LJ in the morning or getting there at night can be an exercise in patience, since there are only limited roads.

I imagine that Old Town would be nice in the morning with a walk up to Presidio Park.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As a local San Diegan, I have no problem reommending that tourists should stay in Mission Valley. The days when all the hotels there were tacky are long gone. Yes, there's a freeway running through it, but that only serves to make it a more convenient location for tourists. It's central to everything and the Trolley runs throgh it too.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:07 AM

happy..weird comment you made about hotels in SD.

SD is a sprawling city with over 1.3 million people and hotels that are scattered everywhere.
So many wonderful areas along the coastline where some of the finest hotels are situated.
We're not called 'America's Finest City' for nothing.

To make such a statement like that really shows you have no idea what San Diego is really about!
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:29 AM

happy..weird comment you made.... To make such a statement like that really shows you have no idea what San Diego is really about!

Why this ad hominem attack? Why not give the OP a few suggestions that prove me wrong? I would love that. I'd come back to San Diego and check out your suggestions.

HTTY
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 10:30 AM

I provide a myriad of hotel suggestions in SD for tourists but your flippant comment was weird and awkward.
La Jolla, Coronado, Carlsbad, Gaslamp, Mission Valley..
I've think my track record here on Fodor's for providing concise hotels in SD and other gems in San Diego and elsewhere is solid.

To the OP's request, I would suggest a Homewood or SpringHill Suites.
They have them all over SD and just depends on what location you desire.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM

There you go again.--Ronald Reagan
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 04:13 PM

let's stay focused on what the op's needs are.
we don't need to be reading your pedantic posts!

Poss..what's your budget?
July/August is very busy and expensive here but maybe by getting a heads up on procuring a room/suite now vs. later might serve you well on your pocketbook and more inventory available.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Stop flirting with me.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Not just your budget, but are you looking to stay near the wedding and if so, where are the wedding festivities being held? If, for example, the wedding is on Coronado, you may not want to stay in LaMesa, likewise, if the wedding is in LaMesa, you may not want to stay downtown.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the various attempts to help.
I don't know where the ceremony will be yet (invitations haven't been sent, my brother told me the date of his son's wedding was set though). Our nephew's house is in/near Mira Mesa and I know that my brother usually stays in a near-by Courtyard or Residence Inn. My husband and I hope to find something a little more upscale. Doesn't need to be luxurious, but we care more about having very pleasant and handsome accommodations than my brother does. If we do the suite thing, we can spend around $400; if just the two of us (and my sister in own room), we'd like to spend not more than $300 (and better yet, not more than $200).
Most impt to us is that the place be as quiet as possible-- not on street or parking lot, no big airplane noise, traffic, etc. Good insulation between rooms. Good glazing on windows if possible.
We also hope that it will be pleasant to take walks nearby. Not interested in visiting zoo or things like that (and detest shopping)-- mainly want to do walking/hiking/scenery gazing in any spare time we might have over the 3 days. Love the ocean, but no doubt anyplace with ocean view wold be too expensive.
Many many years ago we stayed at the Hilton Torrey Pines. I remember it as being scenic and good for walks. But Trip Advisor reviews give me pause-- it must have gone down from when we were there so many years ago. (I read only the reviews from "average" on down.)
In short, where wedding is probably less impt than our finding someplace where we'll be pleased to be staying. We'll no doubt be renting a car at the airport (tho not looking forward to a whole lot of driving).
Thanks again for suggestions. I am pursuing some ideas and hoping for more input nows that there's more detail.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might like the Estancia in La Jolla. It's not in the "village" part of La Jolla, but is quiet and well-recommended by fodorites.

http://www.estancialajolla.com/

Another possibility is the Rancho Bernardo Inn. It's further inland and a bit north of Mira Mesa, but in the middle of its own golf course and very quiet.

www.ranchobernardoinn.com