San Antonio Restaurants

Search

San Antonio Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Antonio Restaurants

We have one free night - (Sat),in San Antonio and need an idea for a restaurant. We love all types of food and are open to all price ranges. What are your favorites and how far in advanced will we need reservations. We will be staying at the Westin and would like something within walking distance....on the Riverwalk or close by. Thanks!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

There are a lot of great options downtown--new and exciting places that we have yet to try but our long time favorites, for now anyway, are Biga on the Banks and Boudro's.

http://www.boudros.com/boudros/
http://www.biga.com/

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM

Little Rhein Steakhouse for exceptional steaks. Comparable to Morton's (both quality and prices).

www.littlerheinsteakhouse.com
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM

Get the mushroom with cheese appetizer at Boudros. Yumm... Don't order their 7$ ?cactus? margarita. The seafood platter was good.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've checked out the links provided. We've eaten at the Little Rhein before, loved it but would like to try something different. Still looking for suggestions otherwise it's Boudros!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM

fun2, if you haven't already done so try searching this site. Seems to me there was a discussion a few months back about new restaurants downtown--I believe Citrus at the Hotel Valencia received a rave review from a poster but I haven't been...yet!

http://www.hotelvalencia.com/san-ant...urant-bars.php

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM

My favorite so far is Pesca's in the Watermark Hotel. Very "with it" decor, excellent food, less casual than Boudros but (and?) much better food.

Have yet to try Le Reve but hear it's wonderful.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM

A huge second for Pesca. Excellent seafood restaurant, and I too prefer it to Boudro's-- although Boudro's is great.

If you need a solid Italian eatery on the Riverwalk, Paesanos served up a nice dinner for me and some colleagues this past spring during a conference.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Others to consider
On the Riverwalk or a short cab ride
La Reve (French): Some consider it the best restaurant in Texas.
Las Canarias (Contemporary Mexican): Food is difficult to describe. Much like what you would find in Mexico City.
The Guenther House (American): In the King William District. Upscale Comfort food in a Victorian setting.

The next restaurants would require a car or a long cab drive, but are worth it:
Grey Moss Inn (Steaks): Ranch style steakhouse in Helotes.
The Vineyards (Steak/American): Some claim it is the most romantic restaurant in San Antonio.
Francesca's (Contemporary). Southwestern influenced flavors, lots of game dishes.
La Fogata (Mexican): Most everyone I know says it is the best in SA.
Cebu: This one requires a lot of faith. No menu. Chef calls you the day of your meal to discuss what you like and prepares what he wants. It is supposed to be amazing.

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

LDLee - The Gunther House interests me but I was under the impression that they only serve lunch? Am I correct?
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Breakfast and lunch, no dinner, excellent for either.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:22 AM

what about good places NW, like around Babcock, Bandera, Callaghan, Huebner - 410 ???
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:44 AM

You'd do well with may of the previous suggestions, but if you are willing to venture outside the walking distance for a truly excellent meal consider the Lodge in Caste Hills. Can't say enough good things about it - but do reserve in advance. http://thelodgerestaurant.com/
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:51 AM

There's this place right next to the Hotel Valencia called 'Acenar'. Great Tex-Mex, and very reasonable prices.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM

AnneMarie,
thanks so much for recommending Boudros. I wasn't able to get a booking there myself (was told there was a 1.5 hr wait) but the concierge Molllie at the Marriott on the riverwalk made me a reservation and I had an incredible time! I was stuck in SA for a night on my way back home from a business trip and enjoyed the friendly service of the waitstaff. I ordered the mojito which was absolutely refreshing and the polental with field mushrooms and seared tuna appetizers which were both delish! I also ordered the quail (my eyes are bigger than my belly) but the experienced waitstaff asked me to hold off on it until I had eaten the first two apps.Needless to say I was stuffed to my eyebrows with the delish apps and didn't even had room for dessert. Thanks again for recommending this awesome restaurant!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:16 PM

If you're staying at the Westin, go to Bigas on Banks. It's practically next door and ask the Westin's concierge. That was what they recommended when I stayed there. Have them call in the reservation, you'll get in. Food is fantastic and ambience is really nice. If it's not raining or cold, ask for outside seating so you'll have a view of the river. I love in Houston and everytime I've been back to San Antonio, I go to Bigas.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM

The Silo, on Austin Highway. Also, catch lunch at Earl Abel's, before it closes, unless it already is!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Glad you enjoyed it, Sarahh!

I will never understand the fascination with Earl Abels--went there once and the place gave me the heebie jeebies.