Reload this Page >

Salt Lake Hotel recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:40 PM
jim

We are looking for a nice place to stay for 2 days in downtown Salt Lake City. Also would appreciate restaurant suggestions. Thanks, Jim

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Jim: Not knowing too many details about what you are seeking or what your price range is, I'll keep my suggestions simple. If you like the boutique hotel experience, there is a Hotel Monaco downtown with an excellent restaurant called Bambara. I would also recommend the Little America, Grand America, or Marriott that are only one block away from TRAX, the light rail system. In the downtown area, TRAX is free, and will easily take you to areas with many restaurants. One of my favorites (not expensive by any means) is The Blue Iguana for excellent enchiladas suizas and various Mexican moles.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:14 AM

Hi Jim,

You don't say what your visiting purpose is, but another interesting place to stay would be the Wolf Crest Inn on Capital Hill. It's a restored mansion owned by Karl Malone's wife, Kay. Captial Hill is a lovely neighborhood with spectacular views.

Other great restaurants in SLC are Flemming's Steak House at the Gateway, the New Yorker, and either the Market Street Grill (adjacent to New Yorker, same owners) other their other restaurant by the U of U, the Market Street Broiler, in a converted firestation. Both grills serve excellent, fresh seafood. Further south are Tuscany and La Caille, both very romantic.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Hotel Monaco is a good suggestion. Also, the Hilton would be OK. Spencer's Steakhouse in located inside of the Hilton and is one of the more decent places to eat in SLC. Any of the hotels mentioned by Presocia are good. Rather than opt for the Blue Iguana, if it is Mexican food you like, I would hop a cab for a very short ride out North Temple to the Red Iquana.
Usually one can not go wrong taking recommendations from Dayle. However, in this case, in my view, there better options than Wolf Crest and La Caille. I would agree with Flemings is great suggestion, as is Market Street and the Broiler.
Not knowing what you are looking for or what your price expectations are makes it a bit more difficult to give suggestions.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 04:51 PM

Salt Lake City is my home town. Last few times we have visited there we stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn which is an old apartment that has been converted and is really nice...great location two (I think it is 3rd south and 34d west). Nice deli accross the street, rooms are spacious, and staff is very accommodating. As for eating, many nice places, one in Mill creek canyon J(nice drive too) but can't remember the name just now. Just ask anyone. They are a friendly folk.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:05 PM

They're friendly 'cause the last I read SLC had the highest percentage of people on Prozac. :-0
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM

I'll second Dayle's advice on Wolfe Crest. Firstmate have you stayed there? I loved it, it was romantic and homey at the same time.

The restaurant up Millcreek Canyon is Log Haven. It is excellent, but pricey.