What is there to do in Atlanta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
SUSIE

Hello Everyone,
I am from Vegas and I really don't get out much, just to Cali. My husband and I are going to Atlanta in mid-June and I just wanted to know what is there to do. Also, I am staying at the Hilton Atlanta on Courtland Street, any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:30 AM
Jane

Bring deodorant, and several changes of shirts. It'll feel humid as all get out if you're from the drier parts of CA.

Shopping: Buckhead--Lenox and Phipps Plaza are close together and offer the best retail.

Food: much of the better eating is in Buckhead.

Will you have a car? MARTA (subway) is easy to use and cheap.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:35 AM
J T Kirk

Check out the Virginia-Highlands area, which tis the area located around the intersection of (get this) Virginia and N. Highlands. Anyway, they have a bunch of unique, cute shops and some wonderful restaurants.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:40 AM
Duh

Jane....

"It'll feel humid as all get out if you're from the drier
parts of CA."

Susie's opening sentence says she is from Vegas! Las time I checked, Las Vegas is in Nevada....unless the last earthquake moved things around.

June shouldn't be too bad in the humidity factor.

"wanted to know what is there to
do"?

Susie, if you don't know what to do, why are you going to Atlanta??

Duh

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:48 AM
xxx

Are you going for a convention or something? If not I can't think of a good reason to stay where you are. Atlanta is one city that is best experienced by staying out somewhere, preferably midtown or Buckhead. That's where everything is. You can journey into the downtown if there is some pressing reason to see it once.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Me

I agree, stay in Midtown. Also eat in midtown 80 % of the best rests are there. Virginia Highlands is a great little area where you can walk to lots of shoppes and rests, try Surin for Thai or Harry & Son's for Sushi. Also in Midtown is Spice, South City Kitchen, Tamarind, and Vickery's...yummy food.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
Robert

I've had a lot of experiences going out in Atlanta and I've always had a blast. June will be warm but not scorching like late July or August.

Take a tour of the CNN Center. I've read negative posts about it on here, but after taking it for myself, I really enjoyed it and I recommend it. You'll always think about it when you turn on the news!

World of Coke Museum could be interesting. I've never done it, but you're in Atlanta, so go for it!

Stone Mountain is a big attraction, and I think they do fireworks during the summer. You'll need a car though...

Six Flags Over Georgia is a nice amusement park, but seeing as you're from Vegas, I bet the whole tourist trap thing is nothing new to you...

Other things to do: Centennial park, Cyclorama, High Museum, MLK monument, concerts, plays, etc.

Atlanta is one of the country's biggest cities and there is never any shortage of things to do. Check out the Atlanta Journal-Constitution online at www.ajc.com

Have a great time in Hotlanta!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:18 AM
RB

June is not as hot as July/August, so you should have fairly decent weather to explore the city. World of Coke/CNN tour/Centennial Park is a good downtown thing to do- the CNN tour is a nice way to get an AC fix after you've been outside. The High Museum and the ATL Botanical Gardens are good, and definitely go to the Martin Luther King National Historic Site. A Braves game at Turner Field is a nice way to take in the cityscape from the upper deck. If you do have auto access, the laser show at nightfall at Stone Mountain Park is a wonderful summertime event. While it will be a few months before the schedule is posted, the outdoor concerts at Chastain Park are another fun summertime happening. The shops and dining around Decatur are a nice lunch exploration, and are accessible by MARTA. Use MARTA trains as much as possible. Your hotel is on the Peachtree Center stop. Look at the MARTA website to plan your trip: www.itsmarta.com.

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:55 PM
jil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta see the "World of Coca Cola" and "Underground Atlanta". Also, you have to eat some greasy food from the Varsity at least once. That's a true Atlanta tradition. Also, I don't know your ages, but Six Flags is just a few minutes away!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:09 PM

I know these answers can be confusing and you need to try to put them all in perspective. I'm the type who loves to be in the heart of things. I would normally always head for the heart of a city, figuring that's where I'd want to be. There are two places in this country that jump out to me that the center of the city is NOT where I'd want to be. One is Los Angeles and the other is Atlanta.
Unless you are staying downtown for a convention or something, I'd strongly urge you to stay in Buckhead or at least in Midtown instead. Several others are telling you this as well, I just wanted to clarify that the reason they are telling you isn't that they aren't downtown type people -- Atlanta is just different that way!! You can always take Marta downtown one day and see Underground and the Coca Cola museum, but otherwise, if the trip is for pleasure you will prefer being elsewhere than downtown.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Go to a Braves game. After you do that you will not have enough money to do much else. After the Braves raise prices to pay Greg Maddux, tickets should be $30 per chair for one close enough to see the black of home plate.
And those tubes of leather called hot dogs should be pushing $6.00 a stick.
If I sound disenchanted with AOL-Time Warner's management of the Braves, it is because I am. It takes real class to run Tom Glavin off, and to the Mets of all people. By the end next year, they may have the forked stick after Chipper Jones.

Old Feb 1st, 2003, 09:49 AM

I highly recommend the Martin Luther King Historical Center. It is incredibly moving and educational, and every American should visit, if you have the chance. Since you're going to be there in the summer, you'll enjoy the fact that it's indoors and has AC. The World of Coke is also slightly interesting--probably worth seeing at least once. Several other posters have mentioned some of the nice malls and as a female, I know I always enjoy some good shopping! So, I second those suggestions. I was only in Atlanta for a day and a half and wished I had more time. I would love to visit the Carter Center, if I ever go back. I did go into the Underground and found it to be boring. It's not quite the big deal that all the "tourist" literature makes it out to be.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I was in Atlanta back in September 2002, and here are some sites that should not be missed...

1. World of Coca-Cola
2. CNN Studios (need to call in advance for a tour)
3. Centennial Park
4. Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site

If you have a car, I would also recommend...

1. Atlanta History Center (in Buckhead)
2. Stone Mountain (especially the laser show)

There are more to see, but unfortunately, I did not have enough time. Underground Atlanta wasn't anything special.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Walk towards peachtree street
and then

1) goto a play at either
Fox Theatre or
Agatha's Dinner Theatre (murder mystery)

2) Have brunch, lunch or after dinner sweets and great coffee and mochas at Orange & Scarlett's Cafe (located right behind the 805 Peachtree Building, on Juniper, between 5th and 6th in midtown)

3) Have dinner on the strip on Juniper...or at Enos for a night of good eats and wine.. more romantic

4) Take the Marta to a baseball game at Braves Stadium

5) Head north on Peachtree Street to the High Musuem and see thier events..

6) Goto Buckhead for Dinner at Dantes Down the Hatch (a fondue restaurant, with live jazz with an upscale ship theme, complete with moat and live crocks (located on Peachtree Street in buckhead across from the Lenox Mall and Swiss otel)

7) Visit Virgina Highlands (Take 10th Street East, past the park , at TL/Monroe) make a right and a quick left) and drive through residential neihborhood until you hit Murphys, cute shops) You can browse boutique type shops, everything from clothing to antiques, grab a bite, or drink, see live music) Other way to get here... Peachtree Street, to ponce de leon, take a left/east on Ponce de leon for a few miles and make a left onto N.Highland Ave into the highlands (landmark: MarketOne)

8) Visit Inman Park and goto the craziest yet romantic all at the same time Italian restaurant ever... only go if you are willing to have a blast... small cozy...
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Whoops, pressed the enter button before I was finished.

3. One Midtown Kitchen on Monroe Drive for drinks and dinner (it's very NYC)
4. If you are interested in clubbing, Buckhead is very popular
5. Little Five Points - for a glimpse into the alternative lifestyles of the young and odd. Lots of fun shopping and bars
6. For an inexpensive lunch while window shopping for expensive furnishings, try Taqueria Del Sol on Howell Mill Road close to 14th Street
7. A Braves game is always fun
8. Dinner at Vickerys on Crescent, maybe followed by drinks at the Four Seasons around the corner
9. SKIP UNDERGROUND - it is not worth your time!
10. The High Museum always has something great to look at. Fernbank Museum is also fun.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 02:11 PM

My first two suggestions did not get posted.

1. Go to a concert at Chastain Amphitheater - this is a must do
2. Have Krispy Kremes at the Ponce DeLeon Location - especially if the Hot Donuts Now sign is flashing.

I would second what others have said about staying downtown. It is not the cultural epicenter our our gorgeous city. Try midtown or Buckhead instead if you can.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Since you are coming from the dry area of the country and thus the less green area of the country, I think you should at least spend one or two days in the northern part of Atlanta - Lake Lanier Islands are a resort area that can be experienced for a day or overnight with camping and two resort hotels on property. It also has a small but fun water park that is located there. Another great area to visit would be Dahalonga (quaint town square, USA's first gold rush) and the surrounding area especially Amiacola Falls which has a beautiful lodge and a neat hike-inn 5 miles further up the mountain. If you can get out of the city some too, I think you will get a better picture of all of what Altanta has to offer. Of course, there are many more areas to explore besides those two. For either one of these areas, you can visit and be back at your urban location later that night if needed. Try some boiled peanuts too (sold by the side of the road) - get an icee - they are very salty. You will really get a taste of Atlanta!
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:22 PM

sorry - Lake Lanier Islands IS a resort...