Room Bed Preferences

Search

Room Bed Preferences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Room Bed Preferences

I just started to make reservations for a hotel in NYC on Expedia. It does not allow for cancellations. I make the resvervation for one room, 2 adults, 2 children and it comes up that way, but then in room preferences it says they can't guarantee that we will our bed or non-smoking preferences. I called Expedia and they said they will "try" but can't control the inventory. So... I could show up and get a Queen bed for 4 of us AND not be able to cancel? Is this a realistic concern?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:28 PM

Expedia, as well as many individual hotels you may book directly, won't guarantee non-smoking or bed preference.
Some hotels will, many won't.
Best bet is to check with the hotel to see if there's some type of convention or influx of guests which might diminish your chances of getting what you want.
Also, the earlier in the day you arrive to check in the better your chances of getting what you request.
Most of the time situations like yours work out fine.
But make sure you have a realistic chance of getting what you want.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:03 PM

That's the way it is for most on-line booking services. Usually, after you have made your reservation, you can contact the hotel directly and make your specific request. This even works for Priceline bookings. But there really isn't a way to guarantee for certain you'll be able to get what you want.

If it is a "must" to have certain bed arrangements, you would be better off booking directly with the hotels chain's site.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:29 AM

mrdod.....Here is what I do in a situation when I definitely need any of my preferences(2 beds, non smoke,upper floor,lower floor,etc.).I call the hotel directly the day of arrival between 9am and 11am LOCAL hotel time.I speak to the front desk and obviously make sure they even have the reservation.However,I have usually already done that several days before.Then I tell them what I need.More often than not,they are able to "block" a room right then and there that meets all my needs.This can happen even in a "sold out" situation.This particular time window is when the hotel management does their room count and the guests checking out early will usually already have gone.I hope this helps and Good Luck!!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM

Which hotel?
Many NYC hotels have a limited supply of rooms with double beds.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:09 AM

I meant to say, rooms with 2 beds.