Notices

help with discounted hotel websites

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with discounted hotel websites

I have used priceline, hotels.com and hotel websites before. I've heard rumors about hotels putting guests who dont go through them (atleast I heard this about priceline) in their least desirable rooms. I dont know if its specific hotels or what not but basically I'm staying in NYC for 5 nights and the price difference between the hotel and travelocity is significant espcially since its 5 nights. I dont want to be treated differently which is why I ask. I am staying in the time so I dont know how the staff is or how they treat which guests. Any insight would be helpful.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:47 AM

It's the luck of the draw. Those rooms are discounted because they need to fill them. If the hotel is near empty, you can usually get any room you want, just ask. But if it's pretty full, you have to take whatever's left. But this can happen even if you pay full price -- if the hotel is full, you could still land a bad room.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:05 AM

I've gone through hotels.com a number of times and don't feel that I've ever been given an undersirable room when I arrived at the hotel, although I admit that I did worry about this when I first started using these types of discount brokers. The hotel desk clerk knows how you booked the room since it's pre-paid and has the broker's name on the reservation, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I've done this everywhere from airport hotels to resorts, and it's never made any real difference to the way I was treated at the hotel. Only thing to note though, is that some hotel chains don't give points for hotels booked this way.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:20 AM

I've used both the hotels' own websites and discount sites, and found no real difference, of course acknowledging that the lowest prices will not be the best rooms, which is fair enough. This seems to be especially true as the hotel fills up. I've never received any room I'd consider "sub-standard", and I've found no difference in the service given guests - afterall, why would you to return someday, maybe paying a bit more for upgraded facilities. Even if you reserve on the hotels OWN website, and you see a double for $49, $65, and $90, would you really expect to get the same room for 49 as the $90?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:25 AM
OliveOyl

Through hotels.com and the hotels' own websites you have an equal chance of getting as good a room as the next person. If the hotel is closing in on full, Priceline guests will not receive the favored rooms, but generally the savings are such that there should be no objection.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help. I pretty much see things the same way but getting other opinions help. On that note, if i were staying 5 nights and the hotel is pretty book for the last two nights but not for when i arrive, what do you think that does for where they place me? I was thinking if it might help b/c I will be arriving before those people but if anyone thinks differently, any suggestions?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:10 PM

Hi Sleepy, of the several plus times I've used priceline I've been upgraded to the concierge floor twice. Once in DC for a week long stay which was great. Always being nice helps. I've never received a so called "priceline room". Most recently I was upgraded to an ocean view room in Miami through my Starwood card, aven though I only paid $95 for the night. In my experience I can only say positive things about priceline.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:30 PM

I have been given the junk room next to the ice machine and elevator but I have also been upgraded to nice digs. Just got back from Monterey, CA. I was expecting the "Priceline Room", but was surpised to find out that I had been upgraded to a suite. So you never know.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

I dont recall my room ever being that bad. I've been put next to the elevator but I've also had good rooms. Never been upgraded before but I've read about people being upgrading so I'm going to go through travelocity and maybe i'll get lucky, maybe not. One last annoying question for anyone who knows the time hotel in NYC. What the diffence is between the standard/deluxe/superior rooms? They are all close in price but dont specify if its the views, size, etc...
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM

In my experience (and I've booked through all the sites you've mentioned) the room to which you are assigned depends a) really and truly, upon rooms available at the MOMENT you are checking in; and b) YOUR disposition with regard to the check-in clerk.

On the other hand, you surely cannot expect the finest room in the house, or a "free upgrade" if you've booked via Priceline, or various other discount booking websites, for a ridiculously low rate. And, would you? Of COURSE, the property in question is going to give SOME consideration to the rate you're paying, with regard to room assignment.

And, OF COURSE, you surely cannot expect, or assume you will receive, a "better" room (size, location from the elevator, with a view) having booked one of those really low rates.

You'd be nuts not to figure that those paying "regular" rates would NOT be given more consideration.

Aside from room assignment, though, "how they treat which guests" is another issue entirely. The bellhops, maids, rooms service folks, etc., have no idea how you booked or what you paid.

If the room you'll be assigned is significant to you, it is surely better to book directly with the hotel, whereupon you are nearly always assured of a particular room type/size/view.

All in all, in response to your inquiry, would say that if your priority is a rock-bottom-rate , you must be satisfied with the hotel's location, and almighty "ammenities" and have no right whatsoever to quibble over whether or not you may or may not be assigned to "their least desirable rooms". Do you really think you'll get a "most desirable room" for that price?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

I understand what you meant but i'm not paying a ridiculously lower price which is why I asked. If that is the case I would definatly book with the hotel. I'll explain better.

A superior on travelocity.com is an average of $160 a night. On the hotel website, its about $10 more a night. That's only $50 more that I really dont mind paying but that is if I stay in superior. 50 bucks is money but its not really much.

A deluxe is about $175/night on travelocity and $190/night on the website. If you add in taxes and room fees, the deluxe is 1085 for my entire stay if i go with the hotel website where a deluxe is 995 from travelocity. Thats $90 which I'd gladly pay if there is a diffence in room I guess but I dont know.

If the difference between the deluxe and superior were only views, i'd go through the hotel and get the superior.

I know this isnt easy to understand but I want to stay in a nice hotel, I want to know where i'm staying beforehand which is why I'm not doing priceline, and I just want to do whats best for me. I dont mind spending money but I'm a college student and I'd rather not spend what I dont have to. DJKbooks, you gave great advice and i hope you can help. If anyone has any insight on the diffence between deluxe and superior or any suggestions on another hotel or anything I'd appreciate it. thank you.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 03:52 AM

A while ago I booked a package on Expedia ( air and hotel ) and about 3 weeks before I left the package rate on the website was lower than what I paid earlier. Is there anything I could have done to get a refund or an upgrade? I know its a little too late to ask but I am just curious.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:05 AM

As others have said, a major factor is room availability at the moment you check in. In my experience, room quality and the potential for upgrades is related more to the time of day that I check in, rather than method of booking. People who check in earlier in the day have more choice of rooms!

If you're checking in at 9 PM, you're going to get the rooms everybody else rejected (within the class you've paid for) and also might even not get a nonsmoking room if that's what you requested since MOST hotels consider this a request not a requirement. (There are a few chains that are notable exceptions.)

Once in a while I get a sneaking suspicion that Priceline reservations are for "any available" room and you actually have more of a chance of upgrade than a normal reservation that's for a particular type of room! The anecdotes above on Priceline-related upgrades just reinforce this suspicion.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 03:36 PM
jtp

I had a nighmare with hoteldiscounters.com at Loews Annapolis. MD. Fortunately the hotel made good on a refund ($361. per night) but it took months and I had to go to the CEO. Needless to say I will never use them again!(Loews CEO and staff were outstanding & professional)
I had been warned on this site to get a confirmation directly from the hotel despite what Hoteldiscounters gave me as a number, that was very good advice! It gave me something to fight with as I struggled for a room- however the room my husband and I finally were given was an unclean, horrble odor, disgrace at any price! And very different then what I had paid for. And, we were treated different then other guest.