NY hotels occupancy rule

Jun 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
dht
Original Poster

NY hotels occupancy rule

How strict are hotels with over-occupancy? Is it a no-no to book a hotel room for 2 and have 3-4 people sharing it for the night? We're wondering if anyone has done this before to save money.
Jun 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Yes, that's a definite "no-no." It's a fire law, not just some gimmick that the hotels made up. The hotel doesn't have the option to look the other way. If you are caught with extra people in your room, especially 4 people in a room for 2, you'll probably be asked to leave.
Jun 28th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Well - generally if they find you they will charge you the rate for correct number of people - if they will fit. (Many hotel rooms in NYC have one double bed. Not sure how 3 or 4 or you will fit in it - or if some of you don;t mind sleeping on the floor.)

Of - if they're really aggravated - and you're packing into a double room against fire laws they may ask you to leave.

And yes - it is a no-no - it;s stealing from the hotel.

Your chances of being caught depend on how large/busy the hotel is, how sneaky you try to be, and how much security the hotel has.

Is there some reason why you can;t just pay for what you need - rather than stealing from the hotel?

When are you coming, how many of you are there and what is your budget? People may be able to make recos that don;t put you in a very embarrassing position.
Jun 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Has anyone done this before to save money? Of course! And it's a no-no, but I'm sure you'd get away with it in a big hotel, especially if you tip the maid generously. If you get caught, I doubt you'd be asked to leave, but then again, if they don't have another room available...

Anyway, why do you assume the hotel won't allow 3-4 people in that one room? If I were you, I'd ask nicely in advance. You'll save yourself a lot of anxiety doing things the above-board way.

On a business trip, I once asked the hotel to accommodate two additional people in my room, and they brought us a cot and couldn't have been nicer about it. My friends were happy to leave generous tips for the maid(s) since they got a free stay.

Good luck!
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:50 PM

<<Anyway, why do you assume the hotel won't allow 3-4 people in that one room?>>

Why would a hotel allow more than two people in a room booked for two people?

Hotels have to comply with local zoning/fire regulations. Many rooms in NY can legally accomodate no more than two people and will not have room for a rollaway.

With Priceline, you are guaranteed only a room that will accomodate two people.

Recommend reading the hotel FAQ's at www.biddingfortravel.com in this regard.

Can you get away with it? Maybe. Maybe not. What will you do if you don't?

More and more hotels require that each person show a room key to get past the lobby to the elevators.

For three people, it's better to use Hotwire and book a room for three.
Jun 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM

If 4 people turn up and ask to stay in a room with one double bed the hotel won;t let you. They will try to find you a room for 4 - and charge you for such.

The problem is not that the OP can;t find the room - it;s that they want to pay for 2 and then sneak in extra people for free.

Sorry - but this is theft of services - and a crime.

Also - at many hotels in NYC it just won;t work.

Don;t embarrass yourselves - and book a room for the correct number of people.
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM

If any of your occupants are children, different hotels have different policies. The policies can range from free to a per-person charge determined by age. I have just made reservations in which we are paying $30/day extra for our teen daughter to sleep on the fold-out couch in a suite. NYC, in my experience, tends to be less family-friendly in this way than other vacation destinations.

OTOH, if there is no bed for occupants, seems obvious to me that it is either not allowed, or one must pay a fee and for a cot or something on that order.
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM

nyt, how's the air up there, on your high horse? "A crime" is just a bit of an overstatement, wouldn't you say? That's a rhetorical question, since I know you'd say it's not.
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM

At a bachlorette party we stayed 4 in a double bed 2-person room at the W Times Square. They only gave us two keys, but we didn't get "caught".
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM

NewbE, read thread, "tipping for a better room."
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:31 AM

claire, yes, there seems to be a self-righteousness bug going around here. Hope it's not catching!
Jun 29th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Hmm. Interesting. I just checked my Funk & Wagnalls, and it doesn't list "self-righteous" as a definition for "honesty". Why is that, I wonder?

Meanwhile since some think there is nothing wrong with the original scenario, do you have any good tips for getting extra money out of ATM, or how to cheat on your income tax to save money? How about some good shoplifting tips, since like hotels we all know the supermarkets and department stores make a ton of money and don't need to get the actual prices they post? Or are some of you suggesting that cheating the hotel is OK, but it wouldn't be OK to cheat a supermarket? These posts get so confusing. When people start defending dishonesty, I'm never sure where to find that list of whom it's fine to cheat and whom it's not fine to cheat. Does anyone have a link to that list?
Jun 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Even if I disagree with a policy, I abide by it, but I am not quick to throw out terms such as "bribe" or "theft." I agree w/nyt about room occupancy, although as I said, I think that some hotels are more family-friendly than others. (Yes, I did just choose to stay where there is an additional charge for dd and paid it.) I try to make my point in a different way is all I'm really saying. I was offended by the word "bribe" being used on the other thread to describe my actions. I'm always willing to examine another's pov, but I think the point can be made w/out offending. Most people aspire to honesty, I think. I do.
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Speaking of that idea of slipping the maid money to accommodate an extra person or two and not report it, NOW I see how this can effectively work in a supermarket too. I could see if one of the bag boys who also works as a stocker might like an extra $20. Perhaps I could slip him that much to bring me a box of filet mignons out to my car on the sly and not report me.
If anyone can give me a clear reason why this is not just as acceptable as slipping a maid a $20 to bring extra towels and bed linens and perhaps a cot, I'm willing to listen.

By the way, sorry, but saying "extra people in the room doesn't cost the hotel anything, but the steaks do cost the supermarket" won't cut it with me.
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM

I will probably get slammed but I agree 100% with Patrick. What is the difference?

And regarding have four people in a hotel room that has a double bed and is for two people? I would rather never stay in a hotel room again, lol. No thanks.

Like I said, I will probably get slammed but if I can't afford to honestly pay for what I want I will just do without. But that is just me.

So to answer your question from my viewpoint dht. Yes, it is a NO-NO to book a hotel room for 2 and have 3-4 people sharing it for the night UNLESS you make the hotel aware this is what you doing and get their permission. But again, that is just my viewpoint as to how I live my life.
Jun 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM
dmlove

If anyone can give me a clear reason why this is not just as acceptable as slipping a maid a $20 to bring extra towels and bed linens and perhaps a cot, I'm willing to listen

No, but why is it a "tip" when you give the money to the front desk clerk for a better room, but it's a "bribe" when you "slip a maid a $20"?

Jun 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM

In my opinion, it is only a bribe if you are giving the maid or desk clerk money to give you something for which you have NOT paid.

For example, if you are running late, I do not see it as a bribe to give a person a tip for finding you a table in a restaurant more quickly.

Re hotel rooms, if the cost of a room is no different from one on a higher floor, I do not see it as a bribe to ask the desk clerk if there is a room on a higher floor available.

Both can be done with or without a tip. JMO.
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
dmlove

I do not see it as a bribe to ask the desk clerk if there is a room on a higher floor available.

Of course, it isn't a bribe to ask. It's a bribe to slip him/her some money to give you something he/she wouldn't have otherwise offered you. JMO.

Jun 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Okay, at least you made me laugh.

It is a fine line between the tip and the bribe, I suppose.
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM

NewbE

Sorry -

I was taught taking something that didn't belong to you was theft.

Perhaps you were taught otherwise. Hope you don;t mind if someone decides to borrow your car - since they prefer not to pay for one of their own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO