Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Found lower rate for Envoy Club rebook or not?

Aug 10th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Made reservations last evening at the Envoy Club for our upcoming stay in NYC. Tonight I found the same room for $40.00 a night cheaper at www.quickbook.com

I called the Envoy Club to see if they would match the lower rate and I was told no, if you want the lower rate you will have to cancel your reservation and rebook thru the third party. When I ask if there would be any difference in the room assigned by booking thru quickbook she said well yes, you are more likely to get a upgrade when booking directly with us.

If I cancel and rebook it will save us $120.00. Any one done this with this hotel or any other and if so do you think it made a difference in the suite or room you were given by the hotel.

Sandy
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Anyone done this or have an opinion?
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Have done it with another hotel- yes, it will make a difference- the hotel is much more accomodating if you book through them (usually).... Probably less hassle if you don't rebook...
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:35 AM

I care more about the money, generally, than I do about getting the best room (as long as the room meets a minimum standard). So, I would probably rebook. You actually found the room through www.quikbook.com (not quickbook) I'm guessing, which is a reputable company.

Bottom line is that if the hotel is full, someone has to stay in the less-desireable rooms. In general, that will be the people who booked for cheaper rates through third-party reservationists. It's only fair. If the hotel is not particularly full, people report that sometimes they still get stuck in poorer rooms and are told they aren't eligible for better because of where they booked. This seems to be due more to the particular desk clerk than anything.

If you change your reservation, accept that you may be put into their lowest-level room. If that's unacceptable, book a higher level room directly through the hotel. If you get to the hotel and are put into a lower level room, ask for a room change. If you are treated poorly by the desk clerk (not just told there's nothing available, but given the brush off because of how you booked) as to speak to a manager. There may be nothing they can do if it's full, but if you ask politely but firmly, they may give you a nicer room if there is one available.
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Yep....jlm explains much better than me (but when I'm staying at a decent hotel I don't care about an extra 120- if I'm pinched for cash, I'm camping)
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

I just needed to hear this from someone else.

jlm - you are correct - it should be www.quikbook.com

Thank you very much.

Sandy
Aug 11th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Normally I'd say rebook at the lower rate with quikbook, but reading reviews on tripadvisor, I get the feeling there could be some big differences in condition of rooms from one suite to the next. Are there any other similarly priced options at other hotels on quikbook that interest you?
Aug 11th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie - Agree about the possibility that the suites vary.

Can you recommend any other hotel that is in the vincity of the Envoy Club? Coming to visit a son now lives on East 36th Street so trying to stay fairly close.

Previously we stayed at the Embassy Suites about 5 miles from where son now lives. We are coming in 09/29 and leaving on 10/02.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sandy
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:06 PM

The Affinia Dumont is also on east 34 st. and very very nice. The Shelburne Murray Hill is another all suite Affinia hotel on 37 st & Lexington and also very nice. There's also the Murray Hill East suites, cheaper but not as nice as the other 2.
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Btw, those are just the suite hotels in the area that I think are good. If you don't need a suite, there's also the Park 70 and the Kitano, both on Park ave. & around 39 st. The Carlton on Madison is newly renovated on Madison in the high 20s. The Morgan Hotel is on Madison in the 30s.

There are also quite a few hotels in the 20s. The Park South is very nice (although rooms are small) and usually a good price on quikbook. It's at Pazk ave. & 27 st. The Giraffe is a lovely hotel right near the Park South.
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM

ust noticed the dates you gave and looked on quikbook. Closest in price to Envoy Club there is the Eastgate Tower on 39 st b/w 2nd & 3rd. It's an Affinia hotel and a studio suite is $279 for the first 2 nights and $1790 for the 3rd night. The Kimberly is a decent hotel on 50th st. b/w Lex & 3rd for $255/night.. Wouldn't be a bad walk.
Aug 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mclaurie. You have given me lots of options and much to consider. I very much value your opinion and you never fail to go the extra mile. Please know how very much that is appreciated.

Sandy
Aug 11th, 2006, 06:28 PM

No problem. Hope you'll report on what you decide and tell us how it was.