change of plans! where to go instead

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have decided to cancel our trip to Europe for this Sunday. Now where can my husband and I go within a 6 hr drive from nyc. It is just the two of us and we are looking for high end accomadations. Thoughts please we so much need to get away without the kids but can't get on a plane right now.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:05 PM

A little more than 6 hours, but how about Toronto? It's lovely there and plenty of "city" things to do. Check out hotels quick, though.

BTW, and for what it's worth, if I were in your situation, I would have done the same thing. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't let people here get to you -- you and only you (and family) have to live with your decision.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I hear from my husband that the Four Seasons is lovely.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:15 PM

The Ritz Carlton in Montreal? Roughly 6 hours.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM

I would go to Martha's Vineyard or the Lake Placid area.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Hey, look, etk401, I am not flying anywhere today and certainly not to Europe on Sunday, but if I still had children at home, then I would keep my butt planted there too because I have a responsibility to them. It's your decision and your family. You do what's best for you, and I really hope you come up with a fabulous vacation plan!

Maine, Nova Scotia, PEI, Toronto . . . any of those places sound wonderful to me . . . even if it may be over the 6 hours you requested.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:22 PM

you might try the berkshires. this is probably a four hour drive for you. We stayed at the Stonover Farm when we were up there last summer. It is definitely high end (www.stonoverfarm.com). We stayed in Suite 3 - it was beautiful and had a king sized bed. My brother and sister in law stayed in Suite 1 (queen sized bed, but bigger bathroom with shower and tub... ours only had a shower - but a super high end shower!!).

They were just putting the finishing touches on the School House when we were there - this is the ultimate in luxury. You would not be disappointed.

If you want even higher end than this, consider staying at Wheatleigh (www.wheatleigh.com). Just spectacular, but VERY expensive. If you don't stay there, at least dine there... you will love it. We had drinks while overlooking the formal gardens and sitting in the library and then moved to our table (also in the library which is a little less formal than the dining room). The food and service were both phenomenal and the beauty of the surroundings is incredible.

Another place that I have always thought intriguing (but is unfortunately not in my budget) is The Point on Saranac Lake in upstate New York (not sure how long it would take you to get there).

It is high end and I believe they do not accept children (which is nice when yours are staying home!!).

Prices are high but I think they include a lot in the price.

here is the website address: http://thepointresort.com/home.htm

hope this helps. please post what you decide on
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:46 PM

How about something in Newport, RI?
Castle Hill Resort or Cliffside Inn?

Or... the Wequassett in Chatham, MA,
Black Point Inn in Scarborough, ME,
White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, ME,
or Queechee Inn at Marshland in Queechee, Vt

(Not sure if the last two have a pool.)

Good Luck! Just Enjoy!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Rhode Island? Cliffside Inn or the Chanler?

New Hampshire?

www.wentworth.com
www.thebalsams.com
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I second the Wentworth in New Hampshire!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM

I am sorry to say that I do not second the Balsams. First it is VERY far away from New York. It is five hours from Boston and that much further from New York. Second, it is like staying in grandma's attic... exposed pipes with rust, frilly polyester curtains, decor with multiple layers of white paint from the fifties. If you are into that type of thing, it is great, but where you requested "high end" I don't think you would be happy.

Also, the all inclusive dining is not for everyone.

don't want to offend anyone, but just wanted to pass along my two cents.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Quebec City!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM

I'll add these to Dreamer's list:

Chatham Bars Inn in Chatham, MA
Oceans' Edge also on the Cape
Equinox in VT
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses. We are trying to book something in the Lake Placid region, on line it seems no availability. we will definetly keep trying. I am sure we can come up with something.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

We found availability at the Mirror lake Inn, has anyone stayed here. We have never been to Lake Placid does anyone have thoughts on the area? thank you all so very much
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:57 AM

etk401, glad something else is working out for you.

Just a suggestion, since you seem pretty set on the Lake Placid area... you should start a new thread with Lake Placid in the title. That way you can get the scoop on the area and the hotel you're interested in.

Sorry I can't help answer you specific question, but I'm sure others can. Good luck and enjoy!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I have stayed at Mirror Lake Inn. It is very "quaint" and the town was fun to walk through. The surrounding area is gorgeous. I would not add this to a list of "high end", but it is very original. Please ask any specific questions if you have them.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Arent you going to have major penalties for cancelling your trip?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM

stk401 posted on the Europe board about whether to cancel or not.

Etk401, what did you finally decide to do? Definitely Lake Placid or are you going on to Paris?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Given that there probably isn't a safer time to be on a plane then now, I'm not sure I'd cancel a trip to Paris. Seems a little irrational.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -