Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Booking a hotel room for 1 person....but having someone else share the room???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I know some of you are going to blast me but here goes...

I have a trip to Vegas coming up, and as a gift my father paid my airline ticket and a ticket to a sporting event we're going to see down there. He also is giving us some $$ to put towards our hotel stay. Sooooo....my SO still had to reserve his portion of the trip, and the cheapest way for him to do that was through Expedia. We actually found a package for him that would allow us to have the same flight and it was inexpensive. So he booked it.....for one person. When we get to the hotel, he needs to check in. Should we tell the desk that I will also be in the room or should I just head up after wards and say nothing? I know the RIGHT thing to do, but I don't wanna get stuck with stupid additional fees for an additional guest....what do you think? My dad said just sneak up (I know, I know)....Thought I would throw it out there.

Layla
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM

I don't understand the issue.

Hotel rooms are never booked in two names. They are only booked in one name.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM

If the room is booked at a single rate it is for one person - and one person should occupy it. If you sneak in a second person without paying the double rate you have a coupel of problems:

1) You're a thief (sorry - but this is theft of services)

2) You may well be caught - and have to pay the additional cost - as well as be mortified - possibly in public

3) You may be given just enough towels for one person - does your SO plan on not showering - or using towels - or anything else in the room?

You may well get away with it. And if the few dollars difference matters so much to you go ahead and try. I guess it just depends on your personal standards.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Are you certain there is a difference in the rate for a double vs. single? I would check on that before you worry about it (and before everyone starts wagging their fingers at you for being a thief).

As an example, I just looked at Bellagio and the price for the 2 cheapest rooms ($179 and 209) was the same whether I used 1 or 2 people.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:14 PM

I don't see what the problem is. When they ask you how many keys you will need, you answer "two" and that's the end of the story.

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM

If you're checking in as a single at a single rate (and why else ask the question) you can;t ask for 2 keys.

I know some hotels charge the same - but others don't - esp some of the less expensive ones.

(My only trip to LV was for a convention and we all booked singles - at a lower prices than doubles.)
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I just looked at your other thread and you say you're at the Riviera. Their website says rates are based on double occupancy, with a $20 charge for each additional person. I would take that to mean the rate for 2 people is the same as 1, with the $20 charge kicking in for anything more than 2. I wouldn't worry about this at all, but you can certainly call them to confirm. Might put your mind at ease so you're not sneaking up there needlessly.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:25 PM

This topic was covered at length in another thread, but I don't know how to reference it. It was probably on the European thread, as the whole discussion was about 4 people oocupying a room for two and there being multiple problems with the size of the room, towels, etc.
But what it came down to was that this was cheating the hotel owner out of money and most agreed that was not the right thing to do.
In the US,though, I rarely see a difference in a room for one or two, the price usually goes up for three or more.
I'd call the hotel and check the prices, or the website for the hotel. And since so much of the trip is paid for by someone else, seems like it would be a small thing to pay any extra charges and then relax and enjoy yourself.
You know what's right. Go do it.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM

In the US the rate is usually the same for one or two occupants. Were I in your situation, I would see no problem.

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM

In the US, some hotels in New York or most famously the Motel 6 chain, do have single rate, and the 2nd person will have to pay a surcharge.

But those are really the exceptions.

For a air/hotel package that your SO booked, the cost of the accommodations is actually based on double occupancy. So, he's already paying for the whole room (good for 2 people). It's not like he's getting the room any cheaper.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM

As mentioned, there is usually no difference between single and double. Call and check...if there is a difference, just fess up and pay the upgrade. You won't have to sneak around and will have a much better time. The price change should be insignificant unless the package includes breakfast or some other amenity that would be based on a per person charge.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
J62

And as to whether you can ask for 2 keys or one - of course you can, without a problem. I stay in hotels 25-30 nights a year - alone. When asked I always request and get 2 keys.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM

If you "know the right thing to do" and know you're going to get blasted, why, oh why, are you "throwing it out there"?
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Some need to calm down. This is NOT the same as asking about sneaking someone in. For all ANY of us know, the hotel charges the same for one as they do for two -- as the vast majority of hotels do these days. There is no point being nasty to the OP until she CALLS the hotel and asks if one person is the same price as two, as several have suggested.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Attaboy, NeoPatrick. Innocent question and no need to judge the OP for asking.
I agree with most people's response - the hotels we usually use charge the same for 1 as 2. Any extra people get an upcharge.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Unlike as in most U.S. cities, many Las Vegas hotels do have different rates for two versus one person. Further, packages like Expedia negotiate special rates with hotels that might have different associated rules than what the hotel usually observes (such as a more steeply discounted hotel rate for one versus two).

If your father asks for and receives two keys without any further questions, then I think the assumption is that it doesn't matter to the hotel.

However, given the current LV economy, the hotel may press the issue just because business is down 15% in the city and it may need that $20 per night. Then you simply pay and don't make a fuss. It sounds as if you'll be there only a few nights, so if there is an extra charge it's not going to break anyone. There's no reason to volunteer to pay something you may not need to pay unless the hotel brings it to you attention. Unless you try to sneak in, you're not doing anything unethical.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For me it would be worth paying whatever is the surcharge or fee to legitimately upgrade the reservation to one for 2 persons. Just seems right (and easiest).

Old Dec 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM

I agree with checking their website to see if their normal rate is for double occupancy. There is no ethical or other issue if they charge the same price for one or two people, just try the two scenarios on their booking engine. If there is, you have a personal choice to make. Have a great time!
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 07:49 AM

I travel solo quite a bit as well and hotels ALWAYS ask me if I want 1 or 2 keys. I always take 2 just in case.

And clearly the hotel is based on double occupancy so there's no issue.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

OK.....so I called the hotel and got to the bottom of the issue..I thought I would post the response in case any one else was wondering about it.

Their answer was that it's my SO choice who he allows in his room, but because the rooms are double occupancy he can't have more than one guest staying there. I also won't be able to officially check in, so in case of an emergency my name won't be on the records as being a guest in the hotel. However, there are no extra fees for me being there and I don't have to "sneak" in

I'm glad I called, I'm not going to be doing anything wrong and it gave me some peace of mind.

Thanks for your help guys!

Layla

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -