Reload this Page >

romantic weekend getaway

Search

romantic weekend getaway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:52 PM
lisa

romantic weekend getaway

Husband's 40th birthday Valentine's weekend. Looking to go somewhere within a four hour drive of Chicago that is charming and not the typical tourist destination. Want woods, log cabin or nice comfortable inn, walking, cross country sking and good dining. Any thoughts, Door County comes to mind but looking for a hidden jewel.

Lisa

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM
xxx

Ludington or Sagutuck, MI.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:20 AM
liz

My folks have a home in Door County and just love it, but DC is a good 5 hours from the northern burbs. Ludington and Saugatuck are strictly SUMMER resorts, wouldn't go there. What about the Kohler resort? Maybe they have x-country on the golf course. Why don't you hop on a plane to spend the weekend in Montreal, that is fab. in the winter with all the underground tunnels connecting everything. The Canadian dollar is so cheap right now, and the food there is wonderful, great hotels, charming just to walk around, shop, it is like a mini-European vacation. The Queen Elizabeth is the top hotel, probably they have a package. That would be very memorable. If you wanted you could even ski an hour north of Montreal however it is very cold! We went to a charming little ski resort once called Chanticleer which had some easy slopes, a pool-spa, nice rooms and nice food. There are a few charming towns in that region, you can look at the Quebec websites. I think it would be more fun and wouldn't cost you any more than a weekend in Wisconsin. DC really comes to life in the summer, save that for July 4th weekend.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:27 AM
PS

Look at www.kohler.com. The American Club which is just an hour north of Milwaukee, is a 5 diamond resort. They do have x=country skiing and tons of other stuff, a spa, great dining, etc. It looks very nice.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 04:37 AM
PS

Also look at the www.fairmonthotels.com website re: Queen Elizabeth in Montreal. They do have a romance package that is very affordable.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Sara

The American Club in Kohler is a way Kohler Co. (plumbing fixtures) showcases their products. I've never been there but would love to go. I checked out their website and the most expensive accomodation they have is almost $1000 per night -- IMAGINE THE COOL BATHROOMS IN THAT SUITE!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Sara

Lisa, Just a thought...if you want to cross-country ski, be sure to ask when you make your reservation about snow. We still haven't had any in the Milwaukee area and most of Wisconsin. So whenever you decide to go, check on that.