Search

montreal in january

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
montreal in january

hello!

our holidays are coming up in january and we were thinking about montreal. We are not going snowboarding this year We've been to toronto and vancouver already.

What is it like in january? Any recommendations?

Thanks much!!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 06:12 AM
KMK

I'm guessing it's cold....you know, you don't have to give up the snowboarding entirely - lots of ski areas close to Montreal, maybe you can sneak in a day of boarding....along with the shopping & sightseeing you'll probably do in Montreal itself.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Montreal can be unbelievably cold in January. We've been there a few times in the dead of winter and had a great time, but be prepared. I would recommend staying at a hotel not too far from the underground city.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

kmk, zootsie - thanks! what are the ski/snowboarding areas near montreal?

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM
KMK

Two main areas of ski resorts:

The Laurentians (including Tremblant & a number of lesser known areas) about 75 mi. north of Montreal.

The Eastern Townships (Bromont, Sutton, Orford, Owl's Head) 50 to 70 miles southeast, depending on resort. Bromont & Owl's Head best for beg/int; Sutton & Orford have better adv/exp terrain.

Those are probably the best of the lot, although I think there may be some smaller/lesser known places even closer to Montreal.

Go to www.skitown.com. Click on ski resorts in Canada, & pick Quebec - it will show you a map with the locations of various ski resorts in the province.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 11:58 AM

...even snowboarding in downtown Montreal!
http://www.montrealmirror.com/2004/1...ersports3.html
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 02:14 PM
BAK

Over lunch with a friend today we were talking about her January in Montreal when an ice storm meant the power went off for weeks in some parts of town, and she and her son moved into the meeting room of her department's downtown Montreal office, where there was emergancy power. Her home, like a million in Montreal, was dark and powerless.

But that's an exception. Mostly, it's cold but civilized and life goes on with people bundled up, driving a little slower if there's snow. But certainly not staying home.

I've only been trapped in Montreal in the winter a couple of times. I got out the day before the ice storm killed the power. And I used to travel to Montreal a lot for meetings. Our company's Montreal sectrretaries followed the weather forecasts, and a few times we out of towners would leave meetings late in the afternoon to find we'd been booked into hotels because the planes and trains were not running.

Several of those quiet, snowy nights, wandering around Montreal with few people about were great.

BAK
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Never skiied in Canada since I have many NH ski areas near me. However, we passed thru the town of Bromont once in the summer, its a very nice little town, and the ski area looks pretty good. If you drive to Montreal via I-91 you come near several ski areas. You might want to do a night or two at one of these areas, and then head up to Montreal.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I guess Montreal in February would be just as bad---or worse? We're thinking of a five-day trip to Montreal and Quebec City to catch some of the winter carnival activities/festivities. We're from middle Georgia. Will we absolutely DIE of the cold?
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Hey ! Guys , Its NOT Alaska , Just Montreal , sure it gets cold , but not unbearable . Take a hat , warm coat , some gloves and have fun . You might be suprised , NO igloos !!! Bye , from Montreal !!
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM

You will not DIE of the cold.
People LIVE in these places (and visit them) and do just fine. Dress appropriately - you'll find it chilly but certainly not something that'll kill you.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Actually, yes, it can be very, very cold and (homeless) people do die of it.

I live 200 km away in Ottawa, whose climate is virtually identical.

The power outage was a freak occurrence. You should have no concerns on that score.

However, snow-storms do sometimes cause flight cancellations and driving problems -- our payback for never getting hit by hurricanes.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Hi tedgale, you're right, and I was wrong to say that people do not die of the cold...certainly there are sad cases of that happening to the homeless (or inebriated people dropped off in the middle of nowhere by police).

But in this case (tourists) there's little danger of the weather killing them (in these cities - unlike the folks in another thread who were planning to drive the Arctic Circle ). They are thinking about visiting a winter carnival, so one has to assume they'd expect some cold and come prepared. Yes, there might be an extreme cold snap or storm that would present some challenges, but I was trying to make the point that lots of us live through winters just fine, and that the weather might not be that terrible.

If I can be permitted to hijack here - how are things healthwise with your spouse? I know you were expecting some test results... hoping things are OK.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Taggie; You know the Cdn health system -- we are still awaiting results, though I anticipate the oncologist would let us know if results were in and were not favourable.

I was in Montreal today -- one of my favourite cities -- and the weather was just AWFUL. Bone-chilling cold and a strong wind. I am not at all frileux -- (susceptible to cold) -- but this was just too raw for shopping or sightseeing. About 5 minutes on Green Avenue was enough.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 09:05 PM

tedgale - I am hoping you get good news. This country has a lot going for it these days but the swiftness of the healthcare system isn't one of them for sure. I'm sure you are right, that no news is good news.

I think I should just stay out of the weather discussions... no rain here today, went for a long jog along the ocean in summer gear... roses still blooming in my garden... I could go on but I better not .
Would you be so good as to reply to the gal in the post about dressing for Toronto in 2 days?
Take care...
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:08 AM

Horribly cold in Montreal this morning. -24 C with windchill of -37 C. Not at all typical.

Subash, if you come in February there is the Montreal High Lights Festival. Check out events at www.montrealhighlights.com
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:37 PM

tedgale, I, too , wish you both luck and wait to hear your good news!

It is going to be in the 20's F tonight in Florida brrrr~~~~~
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 05:20 AM

Hi subash

I lived in Montreal for 35 years and in Toronto for 25. Toronto is less cold, has less snow, and shorter winters. Having said that, I prefer Montreal winters with more snow and more blue skies with lots of outdoor activities even if it’s just sliding down Mt. Royal on a piece of cardboard (can you still do that?).

Down to business. If you are visiting Montreal in January it could be very cold as others have told you. Unless you plan to spend most of your time indoors, here’s what I would suggest:

Jacket. Hooded, warm, windproof if possible.

Sweater: Long sleeve, warm

Shirts: long sleeves that you can layer.

Hat: Warm, cover the ears (especially if you don’t have a hood). Wear two if necessary.

Scarf: Should completely cover and wrap around neck where 70% heat is lost

Gloves: Warm insulated gloves/mitts, or two pairs put together

Winter boots: Must have if very cold or lots of snow because feet get cold easily

Must have room for warm socks

Long Johns not a bad idea, pajama bottoms will do.

If anyone can add or give better suggestions for clothing, please do so.

If the above items are not available in your local Goodwill, Salvation Army or other used clothing outlets most are available here and Montreal. I was at Value Village (Village de Valeurs in Montreal?) in Toronto yesterday and the store was stocked to the rafters with clothing, boots and outwear at great prices. I can’t guarantee you’ll get everything, but you can still buy some items on sale in places like WalMart, Zellers, Sears especially with the sales going on now.

Montreal in winter is worth the investment of suitable clothing. There’s nothing worse than being cold. Be sure to go to Beaver Lake atop Mt. Royal for a few hours of fun and a beautiful winter hike. Get a good view from the Lookout.

Happy travels.