Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

summer vacation - montreal, quebec and ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be travelling with husband, 2 teenagers. All willing travellers, like interesting and historic cities, will be driving from Boston. Have been to Toronto, Nova Scotia. Likely take about 10 days. Maybe there is someplace else more rural, a lake, etc. that we could add to our trip. Or should we just leave it at these 2 cities for that length of time. Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:19 AM

We enjoy Montreal in August. It is cooler than August in NYC.
Will you be driving?
If so, you can stop along the way in one of the small towns in the Adirondacks, go hiking, Blue Mountain Lake is beautiful!
Montreal has such a diverse amount of activities going in the summer, Music Festivals, Film Festivals, Comedy Festivals, you can't miss finding plenty to do that the whole family will enjoy.
Rent bikes and ride along the Lachine Canal, spent the day on Mt Royal picnicing and walking.
Quebec City might be worth a couple of days, and maybe a day trip to the Falls.
Gee, I sound like I work for the Tourist Boards but I don't, we just love Montreal and visit twice a year.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:20 AM

sorry-I see that you will be driving ~
I am not sure of the route driving from Mass but I love driving up, the scenery is great!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:32 AM

Check out the Charlevoix area, downriver from Quebec City. Beautiful and lots to do. You could easily spend 3 days around Baie Saint-Paul.

For info start here: (copy & paste)

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais...harlevoix.html
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 03:58 PM

It's not rural, but with that amount of time, you may want to check out Canada's national capital...Ottawa, only 2 hours from Montreal by car. It's certainly worth visiting the Parliament buildings there and the city has a few good museums.

Alternatively, you may wish to consider taking the 15 Autoroute North of Montreal. The scenery is quite pretty in the Laurentians north of Montreal; driving as far as Sainte-Agathe/Mont-Tremblant you might find enjoyable, perhaps staying the night there or in Val David, Saint-Sauveur, Mont Tremblant or Saint-Donat. Or you could just come back to Montreal and make it a day trip. I've only stopped in Mont-Tremblant and find it quite commercialized; it has probably the most shopping, but may not quite be the peace & quiet you might be seeking.

Have fun. Dan
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like some good ideas - thanks. Will likely have more specific questions much closer to trip.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 08:25 PM

The highlight of our family Canadian trip besides the Niagara Falls Maid of the Mist boat trip and Ottawa changing of the guards was the great sidetrip to Smiths Fall, ON to tour the Hershey plant. The kids still talk about the mounds and mounds of Reeses cups being made and the irregular chocolate pieces we bought at the factory store. It is a very rural one hour from Ottawa with small cheese factories along the way. Would your family enjoy something like that?