Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much time off at Christmas? Will you be travelling??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the last Friday before Christmas, we are having our staff party in a couple of hours, so it's a good time to thing about . . . . travel!!!

So - are you spending Christmas at home? - or are you travelling somewhere interesting?

And by the way - how much time do people get "off" for Christmas?

(as for me, I'm staying home and cooking up a storm; with a few extra days "stolen" from my vacation time, I'll be away from work from December 24th to January 4th; and if my Dad wasn't so ill I'd probably plan a trip somewhere for the New Year holiday).
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

OOPS!! That should read "a good time to THINK about. . ." and not to "thing about" !!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 08:38 AM

We get a 1/2 day off on 12/24, and paid holidays on 12/25 and 12/26. Half day on 12/31, paid holiday on 1/1. I'm leaving for Lake Louise on the afternoon of 12/24, returning 12/29, so I do have to take one day off.

We usually have family come to town for Xmas, but not this year -- so we decided to take this Xmas "off" and go away somewhere! I must admit I'm kind of missing all the decorations . . . doesn't quite feel like Xmas yet!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 09:06 AM

This year it works out to 2 four day weekends - 25th to the 28th and then January 1st to the 4th. (My company also gives the day following New Years Day.)

I've had a rough time lately - very challenging assignment at work with lots of overtime, plus my mother died in mid-October and I'm still finding that difficult. I haven't had a vacation since last February so I had planned to take a few extra vacation days and stretch it into 2 weeks off. Neither my husband nor I have family here, but I was really looking forward to a relaxing time at home. Now however, I've been told I have to work the days between Christmas and New Years. At one point this week, I also was told by my client that I was expected to work next week as well, and I thought I'd cry I was so disappointed. I'm exhausted and need that time to myself. Anyway, they've now decided I can take next week (I'll still be sending e-mails, but I can be at home instead of the office), so I'm looking forward to seeing friends over the holiday, sleeping in late, etc. I like to spend time at home over Christmas - we have our own holiday rituals and I enjoy the time there.

We have a big trip planned in April - we're visiting my husband's mother in Australia, so no money to go anywhere else anyway!

Happy holidays to everyone!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:08 PM

this is the first christmas that I won't be at home. I have two weeks off and myself and my family are heading to sedona, arizona. I feel very fortunate to be able to do so.
happy holidays everyone!
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 04:28 AM

We've got a 4-day weekend over Christmas, but the following week I'm working on the Friday (Jan 2.)
The family is coming on Boxing Day, including the new baby grandson who will travel from New York to meet all his cousins. We do this every year, and it's a houseful - especially this year with two more grandbabies than we had last year! My sweetie is in BC visiting his parents, so I'll manage this feast on my own; however, he'll be back for New Year's Eve, and we can have our own private Christmas then.
Like you, Borealis, I'm cooking up a storm. The baking has already started, and tonight I've got to work on the gingerbread house. There's a lot to do, but it's a lovely time.
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 05:33 AM

In Montreal.

My company closes its doors from December 24th to January 4th for the holidays, and to couple that I'm using one of my two weeks vacation from January 5th to 9th, so I'm using the rare opportunity to go nuts and use up all this built-up travel energy; I'll be moving almost non-stop. Last trip I took was in May to Halifax.

I'll be going to Washington, DC to see family, then off to see a cousin in Houston, TX, from which I'll be doing a road trip to Monterrey, Mexico, where I'll be for 5 days.

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

To sarah77 and Daniel Williams -

Does it "feel" like Christmas when you travel to warm & snow-less places? (just curious).

Wishing everyone peace and joy!