Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NOT a political forum-When do you start planning for the holidays?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought this would be a nice change from the political silliness (and I will be SO glad when this election is over). When do you start thinking about your holiday plans?

Especially Christmas, if you celebrate it. I don't have anything elaborate in place yet, but this is usually the time when I start crafting, planning additions to the christmas village, think about what may need to be mail ordered, etc. We are self-confessed Christmas nuts, but we're not usually giant planners.

Who else starts thinking about this in September? What do you feel you need to get accomplished early? My husband is going to build a new set of risers for the village and figures he'll do that in his week off in October, and I usually start making ornaments around this time. We won't book anything this early (especially this year-since my mother is ill), but we often take a short break in December and this is when we start thinking about where we might like to go.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Oh, Darn! Thought I was in the lounge. Sorry. Does anyone suppose Katie could move the thread?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM

Hey, that last sentence was about travel!

My family starts planning out next Christmas travel while we're together at Christmas! Mostly finding out when kids' vacations are, when we'll have "Second Christmas" for everybody to get together without schedule conflicts with inlaws etc. (traditionally the Sunday after Christmas).

As for the decorations part, after keeping house for 40 years I'm drowning in the stuff. A couple of years ago, the washing machine overflowed and I was able to toss a few boxes.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM

When do you start planning for the holidays?

After the elections. ;-)
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM

I just started yesterday with booking my flights for end of December travel. My holiday planning is mostly about travel reservations. I celebrate Christmas but only in spirit, not in material ways. I don't do Christmas cards and very few gifts. I hate mandatory stuff so I've eliminated it to reduce stress. It's just about spending quality family time together.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM

I booked this year's Christmas trip back in January!