Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Less Expensive Lodging Near Le Centre Sheraton (Downtown Montreal)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
mrublee

Hi, I am attending a conference in mid-March at the Le Centre Sheraton in Montreal, but didn't want to stay at the hotel (it's so expensive). I'd be happy to stay a mile or more away, but I'm afraid that with the legendary Montreal weather, that would be a mistake. Does anyone have suggestions about nice but relatively less expensive lodging close enough to walk to the Le Centre Sheraton? A nice B&B would be great but I can't seem to find any close enough to the hotel.

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 07:08 PM
BAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an earlier message I put in here:
Message: Go to the Choice Hotels web site, lookup Montreal, and consider

(CN329) Quality Hotel Downtown
3440 av du Parc
Montreal, QC, CA

This is just north of Sherbrooke, a short walk to lots of interesting places, has good restaurants nearby, and is, by Montreal standards, a low priced hotel. I have stayed there half a dozen times when I wanted clean and comfortable, but had no need for luxury.
---------

I stayed there one year when I was attending a conference at the Sheraton and did not want to pay Sheraton rates. But it was inJune,a dn the walk was pleasant.

The Quality Hotel is even furtehr from the Sheraton than the Delta is, by about four - five blocks.
And Montreal does have a good subway system.

BAK
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Try the Best Western Europa on Drummond, just around the corner from the Sheraton, or the Novotel Montreal on Crescent, a couple of blocks away.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM

I've had terrific luck in Montreal, especially during the winter months, with Hotwire and Priceline. Though I've paid a bit more with Hotwire, I've been more pleased with the hotels. See www.biddingfortravel.com for everything you need to know about bidding on Priceline. For the savings, you'd never be underwhelmed with the hotel.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Sorry, the Novotel is on de la Montagne, not Crescent, one black closer to the Sheraton.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 04:33 AM

The Residence Inn by Marriott is a couple of blocks north of the Sheraton Centre (in an even better location as far as dining, shopping and proximity to the Metro is concerned), and the rates on Marriott.com are around $90 (US) per night. The rooms are very big and quite nice, but the rates are law because it doesn't have a restaurant and splashy lobby bar. (it does have a breakfast room with free continental breakfast tho)
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 04:35 AM

That should read "rates are low" rather than "law." As we all know, there's no law and order when it comes to hotel rates.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:17 AM

I also recommend the Novotel. It is clean, comfortable and inexpensive, with a good location. There is an excellent little Italian restaurant called ALDOS (i think) around the corner.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Agree with Novotel it is good hotel with nice rooms, underground parking, good breakfast service, and nice location. Be sure to visit the excellent Irish pub just behind hotel on Rue Crescent called Hurley's for good beer, good food, and great live music.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:16 PM
mrublee

Thanks everyone, I found a great deal on priceline for airfare & 4 nights stay at the Novotel. I'm glad you all were able to tell me it was right around the corner from the Sheraton and that it was recommended - it made me feel better about taking the package! It turns out that the convention later listed the Novotel as the alternate hotel b/c the other hotels were full, and now priceline's package for the Novotel went up $150! So good timing! For others interested in the area, the other hotel recommended by the convention staff was the Le Cantlie Suites Hotel, which is 10 minutes walk from the Sheraton - it's a business hotel and they offer full suites, it looks great, only $119/can a night!