Reload this Page >

Trips for Christmas Presents?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:40 PM
don

About five years ago, I started giving my wife a trip as part of her Christmas present. So far I have planned and given trips to San Francisco, Key West, New York and a Carribean Cruise. This year it will be back to San Francisco, with sidetrips to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite and Carmel. Does this sound like a good idea, or do you think that a trip is something we should plan together? She seems to enjoy the trips and I enjoy planning them for us. Does anybody else ever give a trip as a present?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Anne

I'm giving my nieces trips as Christmas presents. Last year took the 10 year old to the Women's College World Series; this year the oldest is coming for Mardi Gras. They love it...I love getting one-on-one time with them. Giving a trip means giving a lifetime of memories. After the trip, they get a small photo album with the pictures to keep. If your wife doesn't mind letting you plan the trips, keep doing it!

Anne

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Mark

You know her better than we do -- if in the past it has made her happy then it's probably ok with her. That said, it does sound rather selfish; what's wrong with wrapping a note which reads: "A journey of your choosing awaits you! Merry Christmas, Sweetheart!" She still would probably let you handle all the planning details and it would give her some valued input.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
suzanne

This year rather than giving each other physical gifts, my boyfriend and I are splitting a trip to New Orleans in January. Yay, I can't wait to go! There is NO better gift than travel for people who love to travel!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:39 PM
SSJ

I bought my husband Red Sox Tix for Christmas this year -- the catch is that we'll have to go to Boston to use them! We'll plan the remainder of the trip (duration, dates, etc) together after Christmas. I did fish around a little prior to buying the tickets... I asked him where he would like to go on our next vacation. I then looked for something unique to the area that would guarantee us taking the trip.

Vacations are the only time we truly can relax together; there is just too much to do at home. We love the memories we have with our different travels and it seemed to make sense to give him something we could both enjoy together.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 09:23 PM
crusty

My girlfirend and I gave up on presents a few years ago. Neither one of us was very good at buying gifts. Now we put the money we would have spent on gifts, trees, etc. toward a trip. Last New Years in Paris this Year to Prague and a stopover in New York City for New Years.

Merry Xmas!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 02:40 AM
Julie

My daughter refers to this as giving experiences instead of presents and she, her brother, my husband and I just love it. We've done Christmas like this for several years--St. Maartens, Acapulco, Ft. Lauderdale and this year Key West. Nothing better. And no last minute shopping.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Molly

I don't see anything selfish about it. I agree - for those of us who love to travel, there is no better gift! Wonderful, thoughtful idea. You know your wife - the rest of us don't, so we can't advise you whether or not to plan together. Why not simply ask her?

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Cecilia

I'm jealous!! I would LOVE a gift like that as a Christmas present. You better go for it. After 5 yrs, I think she'd be disappointed if you didn't give her a vacation as her gift! I know I would!!! I'd go anywhere.... I think that sounds wonderful for her.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:40 AM
jan

Oh!! How romantic!!! Absolutely go for it. My hubby did that for me 4 yrs ago.Suprised me for Christmas with a Bahamas cruise and disneyworld after the cruise. I loved this as a present. Haven't rec'd another one since? hmmmm???

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 12:25 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 12:28 PM
cd

Don
I also vote for trips. This is the second year that we have given a trip to us, our children, and grandchildren. There are 10 of us and it is wonderful to share a place together! Great memories and shopping in done in one swoop!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Julie

That's what my husband gives me for presents because he knows that's all I want. Last year for my birthday and xmas (and our anniversery) he took me to Europe for a month! I still look at the pictures and the gift still keeps giving. Another year he took me to Hawaii, another Jamacia, etc.

The main difference is that I do the planning--which I love doing (especially on Fodor's!)

You, like my husband, are real gems.

Yes, by all means go for it!