Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Canada

Search

Honeymoon in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
mkf

Honeymoon in Canada

Hi. My fiance and I have considered honeymooning in Canada. But of course have no idea where, we would not mind going to 2 different places or staying at just one place. We probably will have about a $2000 budget including airfare. I would love to hear recommendations on where to go, where not to go, where to stay, where not to stay or anything else you would recommend..oh, and also where we would fly into? We've never been to Canada, so really have no idea what to expect. Thanks!<BR>

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Melissa

It would be helpful to know where you are flying from. If you are flying in from the east, then you should visit eastern Canada, from the west, then western Canada, if some where in between, then some where in the middle of Canada. We have a huge, huge, huge country so of course there are tons of airports, tons of destinations. Do you invision Mountains? Coastal regions? French Culuture? English culture? Do you want a metropolitan type honeymoon? Do you want to get into the great outdoors?

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:37 PM
mkf

We will be coming from DC. So probably would like to see the eastern side. We would like either french or english culture. We really would love to just be in a nice town with many things to see and do, and lots of good food. We will probably be honeymooning for 6 days. I've heard wonderful things about montreal, quebec. We aren't too picky just a nice place to get away. We rarely vacation b/c we are always going home to visit family. So honestly, anything other than home would be perfect!

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:34 PM
BDF

Congratulations!<BR><BR>Exchange rates are favorable to the US dollar so you get a lot of "bang for your buck" in Canada (plus you get a refund on part of the taxes, so you only pay about 7%, not the full 14% taxes)<BR><BR>Here's something we did: Spend a few days in a luxurious room or suite at a place like Hovey Manor , in the Eastern Townships (about an hour an half drive from Montreal) and then the weekend in Montreal.<BR><BR>Hovey Manor is a small (30-40 rooms?) lakeside resort, includes 2 meals per day, and is considered one of the finest inns and restaurants (AAA and Mobil 4 diamond/star)in North America.<BR>You don't say what time of the year you're interested in (makes a huge difference for most places) but this is a beautiful location for winter (skiing, skating) as well as summer (boating and swimming.)<BR><BR>Montreal is a fabulous city and always fills my need for something similar to home and yet delighfully different.<BR><BR>You could get by on about $2000 US, depending on the size of the room you pick, how long you stay (multiple day midweek stays come out cheapest). <BR>Airfare is tough to figure. If there's any chance you could add a day onto your trip in both directions, it's a long (12 hours?) but straightforward drive from the DC area to the Eastern Townships or Montreal, and then you could have a better room and have a car to see the beautiful surrounding areas and get to Montreal.<BR><BR>If you want to do a strictly flying vacation, you'd fly to Montreal, but would need to rent a car to get to the Eastern townships. I assume that airfare plus car would be at least $500 US and leave less $$$ for rooms and meals. If you stay in Montreal, (or Montreal and then take a train to Quebec City), that's more doable.<BR><BR>But the inn really is a lovely, romantic, special but not at all fussy, good value place if you can manage it.<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Kris

Those are all great suggestions. My first thought also was in the Eastern townships - in addition to Hovey Manor, Auberge Hatley and the Ripplecove Inn are good (we liked Auberg Hatley the best). However there's not much to do around there (though you will be on your honeymoon, so perhaps not that important?)<BR><BR>We also love Quebec City and environs - more romantic than Montreal as a whole (though Vieux Montreal is nice too). North of Quebec City the Isle d'Orleans has some wonderful inns and restaurants, as does Beaupre (near Mont Sainte Anne). <BR><BR>We live in Vermont and go to various parts of Quebec province twice a year - you really can't go wrong anywhere. For a first trip and someplace special, I would probably recommend Quebec City most. Do a search on this board - someone just posted a nice trip report on Quebec a day or tow ago.